Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2009 12:49:29 PM EDT
My stock radio in my Mazda Mx6 didn't have a seperate wire attached to a ground wire. The JVC aftermarket radio I have has a warning telling me the black ground wire needs to be attached to a metal part of the car.

Why would this require this, but the stock radio did not? I don't see any screws or bolts in the area to attach it to.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I used the black wire.  I think that is why I do not get AM stations  Which is fine, I use my i-pod most of the time
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My stock radio in my Mazda Mx6 didn't have a seperate wire attached to a ground wire. The JVC aftermarket radio I have has a warning telling me the black ground wire needs to be attached to a metal part of the car.

Why would this require this, but the stock radio did not? I don't see any screws or bolts in the area to attach it to.

Post the wiring diagram from the head unit, and are you using an aftermarket wiring adapter? Or just cutting the connector off?

You *might* be OK just soldering ithe ground wire to the negative battery terminal wire, but it sounds like JVC wanted a backup ground to frame.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The stock radio either has the ground integrated into the factory harness or got its ground through the antennea input.

The aftermarket will require the black wire to be placed at a clean bare metal screw or bolt to work properly. Along with plugging in the antennea input.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The stock radio either has the ground integrated into the factory harness or got its ground through the antennea input.

The aftermarket will require the black wire to be placed at a clean bare metal screw or bolt to work properly. Along with plugging in the antennea input.

This.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Some factory radios are ghetto.  They use the grounded shield from the antenna wire as ground, or if the radio was bolted to the frame of the dash, it could have gotten its ground that way.  Ground the black wire properly from your new headunit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I got it working. The car is sweet now. It will look better when there are gauges, climate control, and maybe a dash again
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

WRONG.

Using the antenna as a ground is a fail. Most Japanese cars have radios mounted to dash subframes that are metal all the way to the chassis, thus not requiring a seperate ground wire (unlike American cars, which have dashes made almost COMPLETELY out of plastic, and therefore require seperate grounding wires.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Mm hmmm.

Make sure you got that grounded to a substantial piece of the chassis too and not some chincy piece of metal along the dash or something.  The ground should be the shortest path to some heavy structural metal in the car.  Grind off the paint for metal to metal contact.

If you don't you might get the engine whine you get into a lot of aftermarket installs, which is due to poor grounding a lot of times.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top