Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2002 4:24:02 PM EDT
I've recently accepted a position as an inside sales rep. for a large computer hardware and software reseller. My major account is the U.S. Army.
I'm having a little difficulty getting my foot in the door at some of the bases. Mainly I just wind up talking to the gov't credit card holders who only make the purchases and who have no decision making capabilities whatsoever.
If any of you former or current Army folks can give me any tips (what's the correct jargon to use, who are typically the people or groups who order computer equip. on a regular basis, etc), I would be forever grateful. I might even share a bit of the commission check with you. [:D]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Paul - Thanks! That really helped.

I'm getting through to a lot of card holders over the phone, but I'm finding that about 50% - 60% of the time, those folks are not the end users. When I ask if they can put me in contact with the requestors, I usually get the response "He/she would kill me if I gave out their number."

We're on the same page about being pushy. I know that you guys probably get bombarded with solicitations, but I need to figure out a way to contact the end users, even if it's with just a catalog. Any suggestions about how to contact those folks, even if it's just a recommedation about what units on a base are the typical purchasers of equipment would be greatly appreciated.

Also, can you tell me how important the GSA schedule is to you guys? My company doesn't have it's own GSA, but is allowed to sell off of some of our manufacturers GSA's. It's already come up a few times, but so far only in relation to orders in the $5K to $10K range.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy um from gateway and mark um up 3000% and sell um to Uncle Sugar I don't mind I'm making payments to him from my taxes 4 years ago. [BD]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top