Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2002 3:06:23 PM EDT
Outlaw Country star Waylon Jennings died today from complications from diabetes at age 64.

More to follow, but meanwhile:

The only two things in life that make it worth livin'
Is guitars tuned good 'n' firm-feelin' women
I don't need my name in the marquee lights
I got my songs and I got you with me tonight
Maybe it's time we got back to the basics of love...

Let's go to Luckenbach, Texas with Waylon and Willie and the boys
This successful life we're livin' got us feudin' like the Hatfields and McCoys
Between Hank Williams' pain songs and Newbury's train songs
And blue eyes cryin' in the rain
Out in Luckenbach, Texas ain't nobody feelin' no pain

So baby let's sell your diamond ring
Buy some boots and faded jeans and go away
This coat and tie is chokin' me
In your high society you cry all day
We've been so busy keepin' up with the Jones
Four-car garage and we're still buildin' on
Maybe it's time we got back to the basics of love

Let's go to Luckenbach, Texas with Waylon and Willie and the boys
This successful life we're livin' got us feudin' like the Hatfields and McCoys
Out in Luckenbach, Texas ain't nobody feelin' no pain

Let's go to Luckenbach, Texas with Willie and Waylon and the boys
This successful life we're livin's got us feudin' like the Hatfields and McCoys
Out in Luckenbach, Texas there ain't nobody feelin' no pain

Out in Luckenbach, Texas there ain't nobody feelin' no pain

Eric The(Saddened)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn.
Here's to Waylon.  He was a good ol' boy.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Adios [:(]

SRM
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#3]
the Dukes of Hazzard will never be the same
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://www.luckenbachtexas.com/navigation.htm[/url]

Just to show you there [u]is[/u] a Luckenbach, Texas.

Eric The(Mourning)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe he had a good life and that's as much as anyone can ask for.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#6]
[size=4]Country Great Waylon Jennings Dead[/size=4]
By Jim Patterson, Associated Press Writer
Wednesday, February 13, 2002; 6:51 PM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. –– Waylon Jennings, who defined the outlaw movement in country music, died Wednesday after a long battle with diabetes-related health problems. He was 64.

Jennings spokeswoman Schatzie Hageman said Jennings died peacefully at his home in Arizona.

Jennings, a singer, songwriter and guitarist, recorded 60 albums and had 16 No. 1 country singles in a career that spanned five decades and began when he played bass for Buddy Holly. He was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in October.

He had been plagued with diabetes-related health problems in recent years that made it difficult for him to walk. In December, his left foot was amputated at a Phoenix hospital.

Jennings and his wife, singer Jessi Colter, sold their home in Nashville more than a year ago and moved to Chandler, Ariz.

His resonant, authoritative voice also was used to narrate the popular TV show "The Dukes of Hazzard." He sang its theme song, which was a million seller.

"I aimed the narration at children and it made it work," he said in a 1987 AP interview.

He traditionally wore a black cowboy hat and ebony attire that accented his black beard and mustache. Often reclusive when not on stage, he played earthy music with a spirited, hard edge. Combined, Jennings had a well-defined image that matched well with his history of battling record producers to do music his way.

About his independence, he said: "There's always one more way to do something – your way."

Some of his album titles nourished his brash persona: "Lonesome, On'ry and Mean," "I've Always Been Crazy," "Nashville Rebel," "Ladies Love Outlaws" and "Wanted: The Outlaws."

He often refused to attend music awards shows on grounds performers should not compete against each other. Despite those sentiments, Jennings won two Grammy awards and four Country Music Association awards. He did not attend his induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame last year.

For about 10 years, he declined to appear on the Grand Ole Opry because a full set of drums was forbidden at the time. That rule was eventually dropped.

In 1992, he told the AP: "I've never compromised, and people respect that."

Of his outlaw image, he said: "It was a good marketing tool. In a way, I am that way. You start messing with my music, I get mean. As long was you are honest and up front with me, I will be the same with you. But I still do things my way."

- continued -
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn what a week for losing friends.

My local bartender was killed Monday in Rodessa, La during a business hour hold up.  She was 51 and had already given up the cash to the perp.  Him and his buddy are still on the lose.

Now this?  I never met Waymore, but he (along with Merle, and Willie) kept me company on those lonely nights after my divorce, and most of what he sang I always took as advice from a friend!

Good bye to both of you...

"Songs about the night they spent protecting you from me"
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn staight there is a Luckenbach, TX.  I live in San Antonio and went to school in College Station.  Up untill a few years ago we still went to the Willie Nelsen 4th of July Picnic in Luckenbach.  That is till I started enjoying going to sleep  before midnight and getting up the time that I used to go to sleep.

Link Posted: 2/13/2002 3:31:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Born in Littlefield, Texas, Jennings became a radio disc jockey at 14 and formed his own band not long afterward.

He and Holly were teen-age friends in Lubbock, Texas, and Jennings was in Holly's band.

"Mainly what I learned from Buddy was an attitude," Jennings said. "He loved music, and he taught me that it shouldn't have any barriers to it."

By the early 1960s Jennings was playing regularly at a nightclub in Phoenix. In 1963, he was signed by Herb Alpert's A&M Records, then was signed by RCA in Nashville shortly thereafter by Chet Atkins. Once in Nashville, he and Cash became friends and roommates.

His hit records began in the mid-1960s and his heyday was the mid-1970s.

His "Greatest Hits" album in 1979 sold 4 million – a rare accomplishment in country music for that era.

In the mid-1980s, he joined with Nelson, Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson to form the quartet the Highwaymen, which recorded together and did concert tours.

"I'd like to be remembered for my music – not necessarily by what people see when they see us – but what they feel when they talk about you," he said in 1984.

"Some people have their music. My music has me."

His other hit singles included "I'm a Ramblin' Man," "Amanda," "Lucille," "I've Always Been Crazy" and "Rose in Paradise."

He made occasional forays into TV movies, including "Stagecoach" and "Oklahoma City Dolls," plus the Sesame Street movie "Follow That Bird" and the B-movie "Nashville Rebel."

He has said he spent 21 years on drugs and had a $1,500-a-day cocaine habit.

"I did more drugs than anybody you ever saw in your life," he told the Country Music Association's Close Up magazine in 1994.

In 1977, he was arrested at a Nashville recording studio and charged with conspiracy and possession of cocaine with intent to distribute. The charges were later dismissed.

He kicked the habit in 1984 by leasing a house in Arizona and going cold turkey, he said.

He and Colter, his fourth wife, married in 1969. They had one son, Shooter.

See article at:[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6733-2002Feb13.html[/url]

You gotta love a man who names his son, Shooter!

Eric The(AndHeWasQuiteAMan!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Adios.......

[:(]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#12]
That's terrible.  I had no idea he was in such bad health.  RIP.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's terrible.  I had no idea he was in such bad health.  RIP.
View Quote

I didn't either. He has always been my favorite singer, no matter what kind of mood I was in, his music always fit right in.
He was also probably the most honest, tell-it-like-it-is entertainers. Straight through, beginning to end, he stuck by his beliefs.
Another good man gone.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Just a good ol' boys..........
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Godspeed friend. [>(]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Man that sucks. I heard he was doing bad and lost a foot a few weeks ago, but didn't realize he was that bad off.

Country music (and not that pop stuff nowadays) lost a legend, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#18]
That sucks. I was just listening to a couple of his songs this morning.

He will be sorely missed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I just finished pickin on my Tele in his honor. Met him the first time back in 1988, he was a true gent and hero to me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Man that  sucks. I used to listen to country back in the late '70's (before it sold it) and loved listening to Waylon, Willie, Johnny, Charlie Pride, Alabama, George Jones,ect.. All REAL Country/Western singers.
The music world lost an icon.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Sad news.  I grew up listening to Waylon Jennings.  Heck, I even named my kid Waylon.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#25]
sadened.......
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn, he was one of my favorites.

"Mama, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys..."

Kyle
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Gods speed Waylon Jennings, you made the whiskey work better.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I wanted to post this last night but didn't have my facts straight-and I still don't.
Waylon gave up his seat on the plane that Buddy Holly and Richie Valenz(sp)were on,to the Big Bopper,in Clear Lake Iowa so long ago.The Big Bopper had the flu and Waylon thought he should go ahead and fly while he(Waylon)and the others caught up with them later.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Here's to a modern-day Robin Hood...
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#30]
My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys.

Yes, KheSanhDon, Waylon was one of the 'Crickets' on the ill-fated tour of 1959, and the Big Bopper (J.P.Richardson) took his place aboard the plane.

February 2, 1959, was the day the music died!

Eric The(SoByeByeMissAmericanPie)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Can anyone post the lyrics to the Duke's of Hazzard them song please?  FYI-that jump scene for the Duke's General Lee was filmed on my friend's ranch in California.  When we were little we tried to jump our go carts across it an ate crow big time.  That was before we got chased by the coyotes...!
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Here ya' go, Pardner:

The Dukes Of Hazzard (Theme Song)
Waylon Jennings

Just two good ole boys,
Never meaning no harm.
Beats all you never saw, been in trouble with the law
Since the day they was born.

Straightenin' the curves,
Flattenin' the hills.
Someday the mountain might get 'em but the law never will.

Makin' their wayyyyyy, the only way they know how.
Well, that's just a little bit more than the law will allow.

Just two good ole boys,
Wouldn't change if they could.
Fightin' the system like two modern day Robin Hoods. [Yee-haw]

Eric The(Yee-Haw,Indeed!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Yee Ha!  Thanks Mr. Hun!
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys.

Yes, KheSanhDon, Waylon was one of the 'Crickets' on the ill-fated tour of 1959, and the Big Bopper (J.P.Richardson) took his place aboard the plane.

February 2, 1959, was the day the music died!

Eric The(SoByeByeMissAmericanPie)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Heard the 'REAL' story on Waylon's death was "crushed by a bulldozer."

May be just another rumor though.
[:D]
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#35]
RIP Waylon.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#36]
heard this morn kinda bummed out was hoping to see him in concert or perform sometime.Really liked the dukes of hazard theme song but liked many other songs of his.Not many traditional country artist left.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top