Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2002 10:32:06 AM EDT
Ok, i've seen some of these for sale recently and was kinda thinking of getting one. I can get one for about $200 and was wondering if they are worth it. I have a chinese 75 rnd drum for my AK, and it's a hoot to shoot, and this 120 rnd drum is supposed to be the same as the 75 rnd drum (wind up, etc).

Anyone have one? Do you like it? Hate it?

Anyone got any pics?

Thanks

Shawn
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT... anyone? I got a pic... hoping for some opinions here.....

Shawn
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a couple of these Chinese drums - bought back in the days when piles of them were sitting on gun show tables for $65.  They're almost identical to the 7.62x39 drums with a taller "tower" welded on top.

Be prepared to dick with them a little bit.  But on the ones I have, once I got all the diesel cleaned out, lubed 'em, and made a few minor adjustments where the rotor was dragging on the outside housing, they actually worked pretty good!

The only thing you may have problem with is if you're planning to use them full-auto.  All of mine will only feed 3 rounds on full-auto then the bolt will close on an empty chamber.  It looks like the drum just isn't fast enough to feed FA and after 3 rounds the new cartridge is too low and the bolt rides over the top.  But on Semi you can fire 120 rnds. without a hitch as fast as you can pull the trigger.

So if you've got the money to burn and you already know what to expect from dealing with the 75 rnd. units, go ahead and have some fun!
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got two and never use them.  Too big, bulky and heavy when loaded.  They can be a bit finnicky and often need a little tuning to run well, but they [i]can[/i] be made to work well.  Personally, I prefer 30rd mags - those drums just make the weapon too unweildy.  If thats something you don't mind though, they're not bad, and a cheap alternative to a Beta-C.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 12:34:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't bother with them, get a Beta C
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I was under the impression that they ran more like $125 not $200. Seems way high to me. Unless your talking about one I haven't seen. I thought these were black and clear plastic. Beta C Mags are really the only game in town when your talking AR's and drums.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top