Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2002 5:14:38 AM EDT
These bastards have been doing this crap for a while:

[url]http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/oly_skating020213.html[/url]

I remember back in the day when the soviet block based judges voted for the soviet athletes and so forth.

And the Canadians were screwed over by a judge from their own homeland (France). Well sorta their own homeland.

What a joke. They should just get rid of any event that depend on judges instead of timers, tape measures or targets. All this artsy fartsy stuff is pretty but too open to coruption. Hey, what am I saying, this would get rid of gymnastics.

Well hell, they need to figure out a way to get around this bulls#!t.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:25:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Corruption?  At the Olympics?  No way!  You *must* be kidding!
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:32:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:34:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw it on TV and if I were judging it the Canadians would have gotten the gold.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:11:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Figure skating has been like this for years.  The Russians have been the best (deservedly so) for many years.  This year they were not, but got the vote anyway.

Skating judges have long had their favorites.  If a young couple from Ecuador, for example, came out and skated the program of a lifetime--technically very difficult routine, hit every jump perfectly, had the crowd in tears with their presentation--they'd STILL get scored in about 10th place.  This has been a shameful situation that no-one wants to talk about.

I went to bed after Paul Wylie's routine last night (talk about shameful).  My wife stayed up and watched the rest of the program and heard talk about how France and Russia agreed to "exchange votes".  France votes for the Russian couple in Pairs, while Russia votes for France in Ice Dancing (where Russia is not strong this year). Typical figure skating bullshit.

Figure Skating needs more Dick! Bring back Dick Button!!!
(edited fer spellin)
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:20:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Any time you've got judges swapping votes from event to event then you just need to run all their asses of. And the unfortunate part of the whole deal is how much we kiss the asses of the committee members to get the games in our country. It means so many dollars that we just overlook the BS.

People should veto this BS and just not watch or participate in the "judged" sports. Quantitative scored sports should be the only thing done. The olympics should have referees for intermitent judgement calls but not sports totally open to subjective bias.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:28:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Judges...

The only olympic sport that uses juges should be The High Dive.

WHY do they need a judge for the Ski Jump???
Isn't "jumped 2 meters farther" enough?

Stopwatches and tapemeasures.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:36:57 AM EDT
[#7]
The olympics is why I watch The Beverly Hillbillies reruns. [rolleyes] [sleep]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:37:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh Yeah... It's all over the news.  
Big investigation.  
PUBLIC OUTRAGE!!  
A couple of Canadians were cheated out of a gold medal - BFD!!

Go ahead, get all bent out of shape because the circus part of your "bread and circuses" is rigged. American's rights are nonexistant - yet the Media will focus on a couple of whining Canadians. We're lost.

The Media doesn't control what you think, it controls what you think about.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:48:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't you even care about how Campaign Finance Reform is shredding the First Amndmnt??

What about Enron?

The Rainforest?

Mutilated Cattle?

Swamp Gas???

Cel Phone Radiation????

How can you be so obsessed with just one issue?
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#10]

posted by cincinnatus

Don't you even care about how Campaign Finance Reform is shredding the First Amndmnt??

What about Enron?

The Rainforest?

Mutilated Cattle?

Swamp Gas???

Cel Phone Radiation????

How can you be so obsessed with just one issue?
View Quote

Sure I care about almost all that stuff. Now go post your own damn thread about each one and I'll post my opinion on each. [:D]

Hey Macallen, I can worry or bitch about anything I want. Now stop whining and go post your own damn thread. Gees, get a grip, even if it is around your own throat.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#11]
[;)]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hey Macallen, I can worry or bitch about anything I want. Now stop whining and go post your own damn thread. Gees, get a grip, even if it is around your own throat.
View Quote

Okay [b]retrodog[/b] how's this.

Corrupt judges at the Olympics.  Terrible.  But let's keep our perspective - it's just a game!  There's bigger fish to fry.

Is that "on topic" enough for you?

P.S. To avoid hijacking a thread - I edited my previous rant. Good enough?
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:01:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I say, pelt the judges with plastic beer bottles!!!

Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:18:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Figure Skating needs more Dick!!!!
(edited fer spellin)
View Quote

!

[]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:53:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Figure skating has been like this for years.
View Quote

Thank god professional wrestling is real!
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To me, the whole thing boils down to how much more difficult the russian program was.  If the difference was negligible, then perhaps the canadians should have won.  If there was a real difference to compensate for the stumble, then the russians deserved to win (in my unprofessional judgment) because their artistry was better.
View Quote

I agree that if the Russian program was more difficult, then they should have the [b][i]potential[/i][/b] for a higher score.  Bigger risk/bigger reward.  If they screw it up then then they should not still be rewarded for attempting a tougher program. Takes the "risk" out of the equation.

Link Posted: 2/13/2002 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Did any of you watch the press conference this morning?  It was a farce, and there is no system in place to change the verdict even on appeal.   It looks like the investigation is starting out as a white wash.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Did any of you think that maybe the judges voted rationally?

I saw the performances.  The Canadians did real well.  The Russians did extremely well too, with only one minor slip in their performance that anyone has commented upon.

But if the Russians were doing more difficult moves, they deserve a higher score for that.  One slipup doesn't entirely negate the fact that they were skating a more challenging program.

If someone puts a 100-yard rifle target up at 25 yards and nails a 20-20X, and I put my target up at 200 yards and get 20-15X, chances are I'm doing a lot better than the other guy.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#20]
BTW, personally, I would have given the gold to Maria Petrova and Alexei Tikhonov, because "Chess" (where they got their music) is one of my favorite musicals.  To hell with how anyone skated, with good taste like that, they deserve a medal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top