Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2002 4:38:03 PM EDT
Pro CDP?

I have looked at this pistol for quite a long time and it appears to be one of the finest made off the shelf handguns I have ever seen (for the price range and all the extras).

I would really appreciate any info you guys can give me re: the CDP series.

Locally the CDP can be had for around $950 at most dealers, which is a lot of $.  Thus far, all I have uncovered seems to justify the price.  They look like top notch defensive 1911s.

Just interested in your experienced based pros and cons.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#1]
All I can say is if you have $$$ and want a 1911 get a kimber.  Totally reliable and so accurate that it is almost unbelieveable.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a SS target model Kimber, and love it.
Have shot many 1911 guns, and have had some shoot better, ut they were highly tuned with lots of money dumped into it. But the Kimber shoots excellent for a stock out of the box gun....... No regrets here!!!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had five Kimbers, and I have put about 14,000 rounds through them combined without a jam.  My stainless Gold Match is the most accurate handgun I have ever fired and I would never sell it.  I can't reccommend them highly enough---I think they are definitely the best production 1911s on the market.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey X-Kill, what store are you pricing that at?
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#5]
That price seems a little high, but I haven't priced Kimbers since I bought mine 2 years ago.

Out of the box, I don't think Kimbers can be beat.  If you buy one, the first thing you should do is take the magazine that comes with it, beat it with a hammer, and throw it in the trash.  Mine jammed a lot until I put Wilson Combat mags in it.  Since then, it hasn't skipped a beat.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 6:49:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmmmm, Should you buy a Kimber? One word....ABSOLUTELY!

I got myself a Ultra CDP and it is the finest factory .45 out there, period. Workmanship, reliability, value, bang for the buck (pun intended),etc., it just can't be beat. My G27 has not seen the light of day since I got the Kimber well over 1 yr ago.

If you have the funds and don't mind spending it, do yourself a favor you will probably never regret, and pick one up.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got an Ultra Carry CDP, and consider it to be one of the best handguns I've ever owned. The only probably I've had was the front sight burning out. I sent it to Kimber and they replaced both front and rear sights with Gen III mepros, and had it back to me within 3 days.

Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pro CDP?

I have looked at this pistol for quite a long time and it appears to be one of the finest made off the shelf handguns I have ever seen (for the price range and all the extras).

I would really appreciate any info you guys can give me re: the CDP series.

Locally the CDP can be had for around $950 at most dealers, which is a lot of $.  Thus far, all I have uncovered seems to justify the price.  They look like top notch defensive 1911s.

Just interested in your experienced based pros and cons.

Thanks!
View Quote

I own a Pro CDP and a polymer custom.  As far as I am concerned you can't beat the Kimber.  My Pro was $960 which is what they run here around Phila.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#10]
The CDP line around here average around $785...    I love all my Kimbers, by far the are the finest, more accurate, most reliable firearms I've owned (next to my Model 700BDL).
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Have the custom eclipse.  very accurate, reliable, and tight. Incredible worksmanship,  museum quality.  Will get the CDP when I get the carry permit, and the $$$
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#12]
well, at 9 lbs she's a little big, but she wears it well.  razor sharp claws.  packs quite a punch too.  oh, i almost forgot, looks:  mostly white with a smattering of black and gray on the "saddle".

oh, wait a minute.  you were referring to the firearm.  sorry.  i thought you meant my cat.

don't have the Pro CDP, but i do have the custom.  fine firearm.  i'm not very accurate with it without a benchrest, but with one, the gun itself is right on.  i definitely need more practice.

you can't go wrong with it, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The CDP line around here average around $785...    I love all my Kimbers, by far the are the finest, more accurate, most reliable firearms I've owned (next to my Model 700BDL).
View Quote

Ha, you'd be lucky to find a plain custom around here for that. [:D]

X-Kill,  The CDPs have alluminum frames so you might want to try one out first.  I prefer the balance of a steel frame, but maybe that's just me.  I have a Pro SLE which is now the HD and it is the finest pistol I own.  I also have a Custom Eclipse that I am finally gonna try out this weekend to see if it surpasses the Pro.

Kimber's are great, enjoy your freedom and splurge. {:)]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:59:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Just wanted to add another positive reply for the Kimbers.  I've got a Stainless Gold Match, a Gold Combat, and a Pro CDP.  All of them are extremely accurate, 100% reliable, and fit my hand perfectly.  I've fallen in love with 1911s and Kimber's specifically.  I'd say get the one you like most, then get a few more :>...

later,
AJ
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:09:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I just bought a Kimber Custom CDP II last week and love it, already broke it in with 500 rounds. I love the light weight and smooth snag-free lines, it will replace my Kahr P9 as my always carry gun. Here is a pic:

[img]www.kimberamerica.com/_images/19.4-Custom-CDP-L%5B047%5DS.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, good idea. There is now a dedicated Hanguns forum.

[url]handguns.ar15.com/forums/index.html[/url]

On that note, everyone told me to buy a Kimber. I'm in the minority...I went with a [b]Dan Wesson 1911!!![/b](Flame Suit On)
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, I don't think I have ever seen such a unanimous consensus.  That is about all I needed to know.

I have handled the Pro CDP quite a bit and the aluminum frame, from a balance perspective, seemed to be a non issue.  And, I learned early on to use only the Wilson (47-D?) 8 round stainless mag with rubber bumper on it.  In my Springfield they functioned flawlessly and they are well worth the extra$.

[b]Green_furniture[/b], these prices came from the Jackson Tn and Memphis area.  I found them as high as $1142 and just laughed.  Two places in Jackson are Kimber Master Dealers and about 3-4 Masters Dealers are in Memphis.

BUT..............SciFiNut mentioned $785...........that is a real bargain for sure and I'd be interested in more info from him on that...hint hint hint.....

Anyhow..........thanks for all the + feedback.

Yep........lotsa green but I always find a way to get creative with my purchases.  Some weapons I will trade/sell in order to get where I want to be.  Some, like my ARs, my Glock 27 and 23c will never ever leave my hands.

Now..................coming soon, an essentially (less than 300 rds) new Glock 21 with Mep night sights, OEM extd. slide stop, Wolff guide rod and extra power recoil spring along with three 10 rd and two excellent 13 rd. Glock high-caps w/ Wolff springs will be up for sale.

Thanks guys and gals.

I really like the 21 but it is not what I ever defined to be a keeper in my collection
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I warn you, Kimbers are addictive!  I bought my Kimber Compact, let 6 friends shoot it and now 7 of us own a total of 8 Kimbers.  It was good enough to get our picture hung in the Kimber Custom Shop about 3 years ago.  The Custom CDP series is sweet and will become part of my collection once I get the funds saved up for the purchase.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top