User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2002 11:04:47 AM EDT
http://cbs2.com/water/StoryFolder/story_1454328305_html/index_html

KCBS Feds Want Their Cannon Back

From the Water Cooler

(LUDINGTON, Mich. ) (AP) Feb. 12, 2002 10:39 am

It's not your ordinary lawn ornament.

Since 1947, Henry Marek has kept a World War I-era cannon in his front yard.

Marek obtained the cannon in 1942 for $25 as scrap from the Work Projects
Administration. Over the years it has become a Mason County landmark.

But a Defense Department worker happened to notice the cannon last week, knocked
on Marek's door and told him that the cannon is government property. That means
it could be seized and destroyed.

That's when Marek brought out his heavy gun -- U.S. Rep. Pete Hoekstra, who has
ridiculed the government's sudden interest in the weaponry.

"This cannon has been in the community for more than 50 years without a
problem," Hoekstra said Monday in a news release. "And the only problems
surrounding this cannon now are being caused by the government."

Hoekstra said the cannon's breech was welded shut and its barrel was cut, making
it unusable as a weapon. His office contacted the Defense Department and expects
a quick resolution to the matter.

"At a time when the Defense Department is fighting a war against terrorism, it
seems strange they would want to fight Mr. Marek over an 80-plus-year-old cannon
that was long-ago disabled," he said.

(© 2002 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Subtitled -

"Not everyone in the Fed gov't is an idiot, but the gov't does employ more than their fair share."
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I feel relieved.  The government has people driving around looking for cannons in people's yards.  I don't have to lay awake at night worrying about incoming, or trying to dig foxholes in my frozen backyard.  Thanks, cannon spotters!
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I feel relieved.  The government has people driving around looking for cannons in people's yards.  I don't have to lay awake at night worrying about incoming, or trying to dig foxholes in my frozen backyard.  Thanks, cannon spotters!
View Quote

BUZZZZ!!! PC ALERT!!! PC ALERT!!!!

it's not a 'foxhole' anymore... it's a 'fighting position'.... or some other politically correct bull$hit!

Link Posted: 2/12/2002 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The kickerhere is that the thing has sat there for over 50 years, with no incidents, or complaints--the only reason the issue came up was some govt employee happened to see it and say, "Hey--that guy over there is exercising his right to display a cannon--we can't have that!"
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

it's not a 'foxhole' anymore... it's a 'fighting position'.... or some other politically correct bull$hit!

View Quote

Actually, I think the correct term is "Defensive Position." The United States military is rarely the aggressor.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#6]
The Marines have always called them "fighting holes".  You're not there to hide...
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, I think the correct term is "Defensive Position." The United States military is rarely the aggressor.
View Quote

And it's hard to advance with a hole wrapped around you.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 4:52:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I've seen that cannon.  It's east of Ludington on US10 in the guys front yard.  Really makes you wonder about the intelligence of our public servants.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:56:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I hope these idiots never go to Radcliffe, KY:  there's a dang gum tank nearly on every corner.  They'd have a heart attack.  Wait a minute, I think I'm onto something here.  What was the name of the cannon-inspecter again???

Radcliffe, KY: Home of Fort Knox, Tank Training Center for USA.

Merlin
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:08:40 AM EDT
[#10]
A few years ago in Peoria, IL, the military was getting hot and bothered over a Civil War cannon.  This guy had it resting amid his landscaping, and all of a sudden, the armory wanted its cannon back.

The story was a little different though.  This guy didn't legally purchase it, it was found or stolen about 150 years ago.  I think he ended up losing custody.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Let's see, there is an M60A3 tank in front of the the local VFW post, where I live.  

DO YOU THINK THAT THEY MIGHT WANT TO USE THAT THING AGAINST US?

I'm scared!

Oh please, mindless govt official, where are you when we need you to save us from those that would destroy us.  Guide us to thy perfect herd pens.  Baaa!
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Ya know, just about 5 more miles east down US 10 there is a VFW in the town of Custer, yes, named after General George Armstrong,(from Monroe MI.) that has a Sherman Tank in the front yard.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Last fall when our idiot legislators passed a new law that made it a felony to own any former government property that could be considered a weapon didn't Chucky Schumer assure us that "Big Brother" wasn't after our deactivated cannons, DCM M1's, surplus M1911's?

It's starting![shock]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

You must've not yet met any Marines.  >gg<
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Schnert, what law are you referring to?  I'm not aware of any bill that passed with any such provisions in it.

I'm quite aware of one that had such provisions REMOVED before it was passed, though.

CJ
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top