Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/11/2002 9:34:09 PM EDT
Anyone ever been on tv, newpaper, magazine?

If so what for. I was on a front page of a local paper. The Saddleback Valley News. Back when I was teaching martial arts, I also taught rape prevention to women and anti kidnapping class to kids. One of the kids mothers was a writer for the small paper and decide to do a story. Well it was a slow news day and we got front page with my pic. That was my 15mins of fame. Oh that and being on Judge Judy as a witness for a friend of mine suing one of his clients, and on the old dating show called Studs(I hope you guys don't remember this show).

I have a good friend of mine that's been on Cops. [:D] He was innocent but still got carried off in handcuffs. He was released an hour later once they got it sorted out. He wasn't even booked. The bozo thought that by signing the release they would blur his face. NOT!!! [:D] His mug was in full view as he was being cuffed. Also had a friend that was on Love Connection that got dissed really bad.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#1]
i was in the paper as "another officer" i was in swat gear, so you couldn't see my face. (hostage rescue/barricaded gunman deal)  some smartass covered up my name on my locker with a sticker that said "another officer" the next day. wouldn't you know it, i get my mug in the paper and i'm wearing a goddamned mask.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I made it into the WSJ one fine day. [:D]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a very small role in the movie "Libery Heights" 2 local news papers,one was the Maryland Gazette and it was almost a full page! Two small independent films:"Not without my own",and "Dangerous mode" There will be a new HBO series named "The Wire" being filmed in Baltimore this summer so I think i'll give that a shot.

[b]Come for my guns.........and I'll give ya the bullets first![/b] [50]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I wrote some really crazy stuff about this paranoid Mall Security guard-the response was well, mixed...

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

What was it for? Do share....
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#6]
In the local rag, during a teachers strike in '74, they wanted to know how I felt about the strike. Hey I was 12, so I said it was great to get out of school. But I was a little more wordy at the time.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm still waiting!  No luck yet.[:(]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 10:26:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Me, myself? Not a bit at all.

But my twin brother has recently taken upon a jihad to break up the local cabbie cartel, which has landed him in the front page of the local papers and the local news.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been on the covers of a few trade magazines. Been in Billboard and on a couple of local television shows too, mostly talking about why rock music is so hated by parents and silly crap like that.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 1:27:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

What was it for? Do share....
View Quote

One of their gun-related editorials.  I was happy. [:D]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 2:53:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I was in the movie Falling in Love with Meryl Streep and Robert Denero for about 2 seconds in the store scene. I think I was 12yrs old, and I got paid $150.00 and free hot dogs for dinner lol!
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:30:47 AM EDT
[#13]
No fame, but I was on TV twice. In 1983, the local ABC news in SF did a little segment on a class I was taking in college. I was just sitting there with a bored look on my face waiting to get the hell out so I could have a cig and a cup of coffee. But I was on the tele. Yahoo!

The best time was when I was perhaps 11, back around 1972. Our local model rocket club caused a pretty large fire in the hills in West Covina (LA), so the TV folks came over to film it. I was one of the kids they filmed with sh*t eating grins on our faces. I didn't start the fire. he he Those model rockets are an accident waiting to happen during the dry season.

Anyway, after our club caused two fires in the hills, they made us go out to the dry lake to fire off our little missiles.

I know there was another time too, but I don't remember when it was.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 4:22:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Lucky for me......NO.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 4:23:39 AM EDT
[#15]
When I was on the job in Denver, I was all over NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN during the 1991 "Hitler's birthday rally / riots and the 1992 MLK day celebration / riots.

I was only one of two who didn't have a helmet during the 91 riot, and the media focused pretty heavily on me.

Especially when I chased down, and grabbed a black juvenile, right in front of a rather large, vocal and un-friendly anti Klan crowd, after he had thrown a rock at the Klan, but hit a cop instead.

Actually, it was a lot of fun, but I have a strange sense of fun.

Jay
[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 4:31:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Lucky for me......NO.

I have done some good thing, I have volunteered to help out in the community, and my name might appeared on the local paper but that was not the reason I seek.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 4:34:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:07:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Let's see if I can remember...

- Pic of me in the paper dressed up (and lost, BTW) at a Renassaince Fair in Northern Calif

- Pic of me in the paper on a fire engine in a local parade in Healdsburg, Calif

- I think there was a story done on me for going to the State finals in speech and debate on year... can't remember

- Have been on t.v. (news) a couple times... most recently for a story covering my church and the last time was a wonderful shot of me in a red dress walking the strike line last August

- Won a Meow Mix competition locally... was in the paper twice for that... local t.v. news and then, when I went down to the national finals, they sent my performance out on live national feed... ACK!!  Never got a copy of it... ::sigh::  But I did meet Wayne Newton and had several pics taken with him.... [:D]

Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:29:30 AM EDT
[#19]
In the mid-80's my brother (a geologist) and I developed a method of using artificially constructed wetlands to treat acid mine drainage.  It was quite the cutting edge idea at the time, though it has since become commonly used and we never made a dime off it.  At the time, though, we were celebrities in the mining industry and with the US Dept. of the Interior and EPA.  We were keynote speakers at a huge conference at Penn State University in '87 (I think).
Our status quickly dwindled once everybody got our message that there was no big secret about how to do it or how it worked.  Nature had been doing the same thing for aeons.  I still feel good every time I see a bog where there would have been a gigantic tank of sodium hydroxide and a hopper full of pottassium permanganate pellets, though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:52:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I got my pic and name in the paper a few times because of baseball in high school. I've also been mobbed by people trying to get autographs from Jeremy McGrath when a friend and I were talking to him after a race.

The funniest thing was a few years ago at Texas Stadium. My best friend was a kicker in college and always did kicking camps during the summer. One summer it was at Texas Stadium with Jeff Jaeger if I remember correctly. Anyways, the last day was just a day for the college kids and Jeff to goof off and him give some pointers and David (my buddy) asked me if I wanted to go and I said sure. So we drove to Dallas in my car, I got to drive down the tunnel in the parking lot of T.S. into the underground parking garage and we walked out onto the field and goofed off all day. Everybody else had left except for me and David and another guy and we were playing catch at about mid field. Apparently some type of tour was going on about that time and a bunch of people were walking around with a guide and started snapping pictures of us as they were walking up. They never asked who we were and snapped a few more pictures when they were walking off, so it's possible that there is still a picture of me hanging on somebodies wall right now as the "unknown" Dallas Cowboy.....
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:53:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I've been in the local paper a dozen or so times for high school track, cross country and marching band pictures.  They also put a couple of shots in of me running some machinery at my dad's mill when we made "Small business of the year" back in the mid-80's.

I was on TV back in '81 for catching the "#1" trout at a fishing derby. A 13oz rainbow trout worth $1,100 'cause it had the "right" tag in it's mouth.

It was all mostly insignificant stuff, in my mind.  [rolleyes]

I tend to keep a pretty low profile these days... [peep]

('cept for here, of course)  [beer]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 6:00:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Front page of the regional paper with big picture of my wife and myself climbing a 5.12c (pretty freekin hard) rock climbing route.

Pic in the paper of myself on a 200 foot tele. comm. tower aligning a microwave dish.

Pic in the paper dog sledding with our huskies.

On the local news for helping out with boyscouts on their hi-adventure programs.

And i'm sure many others that I haven't seen.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 6:22:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 6:43:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Wound up in the Chicago Tribune for helping out some woman who jumped from a car at 40 mph after being slashed by her boyfriend.

What surprised me the most was I was the only one to stop and help.

Av.

Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:24:04 AM EDT
[#25]
got my mug in the paper a few times.  

2nd or 3rd grade, helped the local voulinteer fire department earn money to buy 'jaws of life'  Was in the class photo next to the Fireman.

Later...  Obscured by a bear suit, I did a photo shoot as promotion for the campground I worked at.  I was Yogi Bear, Tiptoing through the tulips for the local tulip festival (Holland, Michigan)  was part of the extra in the local paper that year.  

I might be wierd, but I really enjoyed that summer job, working childrens activities during the day and playing Yogi...

"Where's Jim? Look, Here comes Yogi!"
later...
"Hey Jim!  You missed Yogi AGAIN!"

heheh
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
- Won a Meow Mix competition locally... was in the paper twice for that... local t.v. news and then, when I went down to the national finals, they sent my performance out on live national feed... ACK!!  Never got a copy of it... ::sigh::  But I did meet Wayne Newton and had several pics taken with him.... [:D]

View Quote

Well post em...My friends and I went Karaoke one time and was told I act like Wayne when on stage. I sang Tie a Yellow Ribbon and had the audience joining in on the chorus.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:52:38 AM EDT
[#27]
About 8 or 9 years ago I was on "60 Minutes"---interviewed by Morley Safer---relative to a (relatively) contentious school desegregation-preservation of neighborhood schools issue here in the "North Woods" (Wausau, Wisconsin).  I thought the story that was done was relatively fair and well balanced.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#29]
I was on the front page of the local paper (bore sighting a scope) after 9/11.  They were doing stories on business trends afterwards.  Two years ago I was on the Seattle ABC station, they came to my store and interviewed me on the sale of confiscated firearms by law enforcement.  They were having an auction that day.  Stokes and I were on the same station last week as a backdrop standing in line at the airport.  In '94 I was interviewed on the NBC Seattle station while fighting wild fires (the worst in the states history) in Eastern Washington, about 15 seconds of it ended up on the NBC evening news.  Is that enough or maybe too much?
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:10:35 AM EDT
[#30]
I've had articles published in - Law&Order; Police and Security News; The Police Marksman; Combat Handguns; Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement; Custom Combat Handguns annual; S.W.A.T. Magazine; Machine Gun News; New Mexico Law Enforcement Journal; RCMP Gazette; Handgun Times; Guns & Gear Annual.
I was in the some of photos in the ESI, Ltd catalog for several years.
I've been featured on local talk radio on crime and personal security topics about 1/2 dozen times.
I've been on all three local television affiliates 6 or 8 times.
Interviewed or quoted and photographed in the local paper 3 or 4 times.
Ok, now I'll put my nomex on.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Sort of... I had 18 min 39sec on a VIVID Video release of "Dirty Debutantes Vol XX" (not allowed to self promote) - U think I am kidding?

Tyler
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:27:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sort of... I had 18 min 39sec on a VIVID Video release of "Dirty Debutantes Vol XX" (not allowed to self promote) - U think I am kidding?

Tyler
View Quote

Which debutante were you?
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#33]
I was in my local paper in Jacsonville NC.  I was in the Marine Corps on guard at Stone Bay when a guy ran through the gate and hit me.  I went over the hood and hit the windshield and bounced into some razor wire.  The other guard fired four rounds from an M16 but the guy never stopped.  I was not seriously injured but I was all cut up from the razor wire.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Was working an IMSA race at Watkins Glen, ESPN came to our pit and talked to 1 of our drivers, I just happed to be standing directly behind.  Got home, parents said they seen me almost cover the TV screen, and people at work seen me also. Also been on ESPN during 2 other races at Mid-Ohio.
Was in a TV comercial for our dealership, parents friends would ask them if it ws my wife and I in the commercial. Still have a 33yr old newspaper article with my pic and principle in new class room when we moved into the new school (second grade).
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#35]
I had mine a few times.
-Sometime in the late 80's, I was about 8 and they had started banning toy guns that looked like real guns. I was in Toys R Us and was playing with some of the toys. A camers guy for ABC filmed me playing with the guns. I even pointed it at the camera and started shooting it. Hehehe.
-I was in a movie with Ashley Judd. It will come out in a few months. The movie is "High Crimes." I was in the bar just drinking.

-There's the new Incredible Hulk movie coming out that my producer friend wants me to be in. It will be filmed in a month or so. I'm thinking about it...
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#36]
I made the base paper in Okinawa for being the Honor Graduate in my class in NCO School.

I was on the local news here in Dallas with a couple of friends for counterprotesting the Million Mom Maniacs two years ago.

My wife was on the gameshow Card Sharks when she was like 13. She won $3000.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#37]
The local newspaper was covering a new indoor paintball place and we were playing when they came.  The guy that I bunkered(with a little help from my brother) was on the front page covered in paint.  Also my name was on the front page with the picture of a teammate by it.[rolleyes]  They also had a pic of one of the welts that I gave the kid.[}:D]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 10:02:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Numerous appearances on local news at fire and accident scenes.
Shook hands with President Nixon as a 3rd grade cub scout in Miami in 1973.
Oops, maybe thats more infamy than fame!
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Wife and I were leaving Carnegie Hall after seeing Lenord Brunstien and the Vienna Phil., ABC eyewitness news (mickey hickey) was outside reporting that all of N.Y.C. elite were out in force and they put us in the footage. Pretty funny as we are upstaters, my wife had on a mink so i guess that was why. Hey SBR7_11, I live about 2 miles from Rob Dysons garage, been there many times , even got to sit in the cars, very cool.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 10:31:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Was in the six part TLC series, 'Vietnam: A soldiers story'...'the Air War'. they rolled for 20 minutes, and cut 19 minutes...it was fun. Was also in the book of the same name as well, they screwed that up bad. Just cut and pasted without regard to chronology, and none of it made any sense...that pissed me off. I realized this 'Vietnam' reporter/producer was pimping us. That's show biz......
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#42]
While walking to school one day back in the seventh grade I found some nifty railroad torpedos on the tracks. I put a few of them in my backpack. At school that day, a teacher decided it would be a good idea to look inside my backpack to "see whose it was" despite the fact that it was just sitting on the floor next to my desk. He found the things and called the police. I got read my rights and had to go to juvy court. The local paper ran a story "local boy brings explosives to school." Earned me quite the reputation in school. My punishment was 2 days of in school suspention (= all day detention, missing classes) and 8 hours of community service. Imagine what they'd do to a kid today.

Link Posted: 2/12/2002 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#44]
I was in the 2000 Olympic Team Trials for Track Racing.  It was broadcast nationally on the PAX network
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#45]
I was on Milky's Party Time  a TV show in Detroit when I was a cub scout in 1964. Won the game and got to reach into the big jar and grab as many pennies as I could.  Seemed like a hell of lot of pennies at the time. Been pinching them babies ever since.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#46]
All fame is fleeting...

In a previous life I was on CBS News during their coverage of the 2nd MOVE incident in Philadelphia (where the mayor ordered the bombing of the city). I worked with an organization that trained LEO's in PA and CBS kept trying to get me to say that the Philly PD had screwed up without including a reference to Gen. Leo Brooks, the city controller, who was in command at the attack.  It could have been because Brooks and the mayor were of one ethnicity, while the Police Comissioner was of another, but CBS News would never do something like that, would they?

In my current life I've been on MSNBC a couple of times; my former employer's offices are in NYC, and when they guys in Fort Lee (MSNBC) needed computer techie commentary they used to come to our offices so they could film in front of lots of computers (Ziff-Davis).

I've written thousands of articles, features, and columns on computer technology, and still freelance in that field. My picture gets published every month, and I've sat next to people on airplanes who were reading my column, with the picture, and didn't recognize me. I've only been recognized like that 2 or three times.

I did a piece for the in-flight video news on American Airlines once, and the guy in the seat next to me when it ran started arguing with the screen about what I had to say. Apparently he didn't notice that the same person was sitting next to him.

I have had people come up to me numerous times at computer related events (COMDEX, Interop, PC Expo, etc.) and ask me if I was THE DavidC. They seem really impressed, though I'm not sure why. Technical computer journalists seem to be minor dieties to some of the terminally computer geeky.

FWIW, there will be an article about me and digital media in an upcoming issue of the USA Today Weekend Magazine.

But all fame is fleeting...

I also did the SAG, AFTRA, and Equity thing when I was younger but have only been recognized once from that, many, many years ago.

Link Posted: 2/12/2002 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have also been an extra in the "Prince of Tides", "Godzilla" "Jungle to Jungle" and "Home Alone 2", but if you add up all the frames that I was in, it may add up to about 2-3 seconds.
View Quote

So you're sorta a bad movie groupie. Cool!
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#49]
While an apartment maintenance man in my 20's some time ago, I heard over the walkie-talkie that one of the buildings was on fire. I was friends with a couple that lived in the same building, and drove over quickly to see if everyone was out. They were both at work, so I set to turning off the gas and electric to the building, and recalled that they had a dog inside. I ducked into the smoke filled hall, master key in hand, and immediately defaulted to my gas chamber training while I sprinted up the three flights of stairs. The dog was at the door, waiting to be let out, so I scooped her up, and beat hell getting back out. Coughed up two kidneys and a lung after the fact, or so it felt. Made the local news on two stations that night, and the wife part of the above mentioned couple rewarded me repeatedly later, but that's one for the Lodge...  [}:D]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 2:57:20 PM EDT
[#50]
I was in a McDonald's commercial back in the early `70's - just a background role. You could only see me for about 1 second. They were filming it at a new store which was down the street from our house. A few of us were hanging around watching and they decided they needed a couple more extras so they used us. Paid us each $50 and gave us some gift certificates.

Also, I used to get a little print in the local music rags, mostly positive about the band I was in (guitar player). And one story in the local newspaper about a benefit concert me and a few friends put on to benefit the 1994 midwest flood victims. Problem was, it POURED the day of our event and we lost our asses on the show. Kinda ironic.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top