Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2002 5:32:35 PM EDT
To follow up my "Name yer Poison", how much do you drink?  As I sit down with a Manhattan, I wonder if there is anyone else out there imbibing?  

There is a big difference between a drunk and a heavy drinker.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Manhattan.  Up.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Manhattan.  Up.
View Quote

Next time I'm down - We will!
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Manhattan.  Up.
View Quote

Next time I'm down - We will!
View Quote

A man of honor and taste.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

How about definitions for these 2 terms. To me a heavy drinker is someone who drinks alot but doesn't get out-of-control drunk very often. I consider myself one of these. A drunk is someone who gets shitfaced almost everytime they drink.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#5]
From St. Paul the Apostle:

"Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities."  1 Timothy 5:23

One of my favorite verses.

I usually have two frozen margaritas at least twice a week.

Eric The()Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

How about definitions for these 2 terms. To me a heavy drinker is someone who drinks alot but doesn't get out-of-control drunk very often. I consider myself one of these. A drunk is someone who gets shitfaced almost everytime they drink.
View Quote

Quit splitting hairs! - Have one more, then taper off.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
From St. Paul the Apostle:

"Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities."  1 Timothy 5:23

One of my favorite verses.

I usually have two frozen margaritas at least twice a week.

Eric The()Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Eric can I just call god; because I am pretty sure you don't exist either.  If you would have shown we could have discussed many o' things over a frozen margarita or eight.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#8]
2-3 beers a day during the week.

Several on the weekends.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#9]
What; ten votes and no recovering alcoholics?
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#10]
What happens if I get "shitfaced" but not "out-of-control drunk?"
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Post from 1GUNRUNNER -
Eric can I just call god; because I am pretty sure you don't exist either. If you would have shown we could have discussed many o' things over a frozen margarita or eight.
View Quote

I know, I know! A thousand pardons, oh great one, I was unwisely asleep at the master switch.

Indolent knave that I am, should the great one ever come to his adopted home state again, he will find me a dutiful guide and passepourtout for all things Texan.

Gustatory and alcoholic delights are my specialties.

Eric The(DoesAntyoneEvenVaguelyRememberPassepourtout?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What happens if I get "shitfaced" but not "out-of-control drunk?"
View Quote

You get a gold star
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#13]
What is a passpourtout?
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#14]
A 'passepourtout' is a 'master key', meaning an item that can get you in anywhere! It's French for 'pass for all.'

It is the name of Phileas Fogg's companion and manservant in Jules Verne's 'Around The World in Eighty Days.'

He speaks 'fourteen languages all of them very badly' according to Fogg.

He does manage to get Mr. Fogg both into and out of trouble during their trip!

Eric The(Literate)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#15]
A couple bourbon & waters a week, perferrably Wild Turkey.

Then a couple times a year I will really tie one on just to remind myself what if feels like to get drunk.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#16]
A couple of times a week, depending.
Also, if you've never tried it, I highly recommend a Spanish liqour called "43" or quarente-y-tres (or something like that).  Its kindof vanilla flavored, and great with orange juice, or club soda, etc.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Back in my rich days it was Bombay Gin and Tonics. If I must drink beer, it was Gillespies, Murphy's, Guiness or some micro brew.

Nowadays, its Kool Aid and Bacardi.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Depends...

Summertime? Gin & Tonics.

Wintertime? Winter beers, Snow Cap, Celebration,  Bobby Dazzler, etc.

The rest of the time? Single malt Scotch, Gimlets, Makers Mark, Patron Silver.

[url=]http://www.portlandbrew.com/seasonal.html[/url]
[url=]http://www.firkin.com/home.html[/url]
[url=]http://www.pyramidbrew.com/[/url]
[url=]http://www.sierra-nevada.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#20]
The only "cocktail" that I really like is a [b]Molotov Cocktail[/b].

Otherwise, I am just a beer and wine guy.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I voted "never", though I do drink once every 6 months to 2 years.  Nothing against it, just drank enough when I was young that I lost interest I guess.  Most people think I am dead sober when I am wasted anyway - they just notice that I talk more...
View Quote

Yeah, pretty much the same for me, though usually 3-4 years between.  I'm actually due but really don't feel like it.  Might have a nice smoke this weekend though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I rarely drink, but a couple of years ago I decorated a 7' Christmas tree with empty Tecate and Heineken cans.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't really drink all that much. A couple of Coronas with friends every once in a while, and many margaritas in the summer.  Margaritas are definitely my #1 summer alcoholic beverage.  But a good smoke is my favorite vice.[smoke]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Beer. Whatever costs about $6 a sixpack.

I am Joe Six Pack [:(]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 10:21:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Crown & Seven for medicinal purposes!
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a beer every morning while I am lifting weights after I get home from work.[beer]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 11:17:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Manhattan up

or

Blanton's, no ice, no water, don't want to bruise it

or

Pimms and ginger

but on occasion

Bushmills, straight from the bottle to my lips.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 4:13:55 AM EDT
[#28]
a bourbon and coke, every night
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Well...

Since I have a BAR in my backyard, I probably have the opportunity to drink more often than most folks.  

2-3 drinks per day.  Sometimes more if there is company over that drinks.  Sometimes no drinks at all, just depends on if I want a drink or not.

Because of the nature of my place (you know if you've been there) I have participated in quite a few 'drinking' parties.  Starting to lose my taste for that kind of drinking.  I prefer the feel of 2 drinks in my system, and a warm pillow calling my name.  Two fingers of bourbon prior to bedtime is my style.

Summertime, working outside in the garden/yard a large cold beer fresh from the tap, ice floating in a frozen mug, it's hard to drink just one.

As for what I prefer to drink, I have a penchant for Martinis.  Weird, I know, but I love them!  Can't have too much olive juice in it, imho.  Heck, when I run out of Vermouth, I just add more olive juice.

BTW, I am always amused by the crowd that thinks more than a beer or two per day is excessive.  Ask those same people how many cans of Coke, glasses of Tea, cups of coffee, that they drink in a day.

Shocking!  Caffeine ain't a drug, right?...  [;)]

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Had a sip of beer when I was real young.  Yuck.  Hated it.  Same with the bubbly stuff.  Never tasted a drop since.  I don't even like the smell.

I drink water and sodas (Mt Dew, Coke, Mr Pibb, Dr. Pepper, Orange crush, lemonade.)
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#31]
I don't drink much but boy do I LOVE to sit back and watch the wife put down a few belveder screwdrivers.  Shes alot funner that way if you know what I'm sayin.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#32]
I used to drink wine every day (1-2 glasses tops) or make myself a single Ketel One Martini (shaken). Now my girlfriend and I are expetcing our first child[:D], so she of course stopped drinking, therefore I stopped drinking. Lost my drinking buddy[:(]. Now it's just the occaisonal beer at home, or Martini when out for dinner....
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Good old Jack and Coke......and then Coke wasn't too kind to my stomach...So, Jack and Ginger from now on. [beer]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Old chinese saying:

Man drinks wine,
Wine drinks wine,
Wine drinks man.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Preferred beverages are microbrewery brews, Shiner, St. Arnold for example, or wine.  If I want something stronger, about twice a year, I opt for Glenmorangie.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I have 3 drinks every evening, either Bud or(til I go back to work)cheap whisky&water.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Used to be every day.  I was one of those 6-8 a night.  Never really got sloppy but caught a buzz.  Now I'm 3-4 times a week.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Bud lite, Miller lite, Corona, rum and coke, Beam and coke, whisky sours and long islands.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Alano club.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:53:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Alano club.
View Quote

Sounds like a sandwich.  What is an Alan club?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top