Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2002 3:57:24 PM EDT
[soapbox]

The news tonight.

Media complains that the military threaten to shoot reporters if they tried to shoot film.  

Media complains that we shot the wrong guys and the pentagon denies.

Why do they even have to respond to that kind of crap.

I only know one thing.

We are at war.

I am on the USA side, whose side are YOU on??

Are you representing the best intrests of this country fighting that war by continuing to try to get you cameras in the way when our guys are getting shot trying to win that fricking war?

Why do you care if our guys beat up a few POS's did any of them have to be accountable for the deaths of my fellow countrymen?

I hate that guy in the ski vest on the news tonight.  He sat up there and tried to be dramatic while our guys are eating shit for breakfast lunch and dinner, away from their families, for who?  For your right to report.  Thats right.

I remember this:

Freedom has a sweet sweet taste the protected civvies will never know.

Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The very idea that the American media elites have, that their duty as reporters comes before their duty as citizens is absurd!

The next time we have a conscription in this country for military duty, all members of the media should be moved to the front of the induction line!

But let someone reporter such as Daniel Pearl of The Wall Street Journal get in trouble in some hotspot in the world and watch the media beg the military to go in and rescue their colleague!

A-holes!

And they look down their snotty little noses at the Second Amendment!

Eric The(EliteMediaTypesShouldBeTheFirst'ToTheWall'InCaseOfSHTFScenarios!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Like I told Eric, when they get their prissy little asses in a sling & start sreaming for help, let em' die slow! Bastards. Bet that WSJ guy is wishing he took the Enron beat instead of racing around Pakistan doing the James Bond schtick with a bunch of cutthroats. If he still has a pulse,that is. Dumbass.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Journalistic integrity = [b]BULLSHIT[/b]
They are FAR more interested in getting the story out before their competition does, than they are with making sure the information is accurate, and complete.
Yes, they should have freedom of the press, but they need to be accurate, and [b]UN BIASED[/b]

It pisses me off when I hear a reporter toss a negative spin on something by saying "critics disagree", or "critics say blah blah blah" without stating [b]who[/b] these critics are, and [b]why[/b] they say blah blah blah.

And no,....a reporter on scene when American soldiers are lying on the ground in agony has no buisiness getting in the way, filming a wounded or dead soldier so that soldier's Mom can see him dying on CNN.
I think if I were there,....I'd drop the camera and see if I could do something to [b]help[/b] that downed soldier.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 2:45:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Madmedic,
I'd drop the camera and see if I could do something to help that downed soldier.
View Quote

Right on.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:08:56 AM EDT
[#5]
What I would like to know, is if the reporter knew that the enemy was ahead waiting in ambush, would the US gov. charge them with aiding and abeding the enemy?
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:17:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I work for a Security Company in the greater Seattle area. Two years ago there was a fatal shooting inside the building that controls the dock where I was pulling shift tonight. I was told by the property manager this evening that the verdict in the trial for the accused in the homicide was released today. I had to deal with the biggest egos of my life today. (And I know egos, was in 3/75th for 3 years.) I had five different reporters telling me that I was violating their constitutional rights by not letting them onto private property to take video for the six 'o clock evening news. I told them all to piss off, and proceeded to explain that as per property manager's instructions no recording equipment was allowed on site. Just then one of the reporters tried to jump the fence with his camera. I had to jump onto the fence too and pull him down. In the process he dropped his $65,000 (allegedly) camera, and it broke into a million pieces. I immediately called Seattle Police Department and the man was arrested after cleaning up his broken camera amidst threats of suing me for destruction of property. The cops laughed at him and told him it was his fault, and all the other reporters turned their cameras on him. (maybe he made the 6 'o clock news, hehe.)

So I don't understand where these reporters think that they are somehow better than the rest of us and are privileged to have "more" rights because they all wear a piece of paper with "Press" written on it in their fedora's.
Sometimes we need to remind them that they are human just like the rest of us.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:13:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Kadar,

Thanks for doing that, you made my day!

Yeah!  your story gave me a hope!

Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:10:14 AM EDT
[#8]
So if you're on the front, and you see Peter Jennings and Dan Rather wandering out on a mine field as they go to get the enemy's story, your dilemma is this:

You and your men will have to work your way through that field to engage the enemy (for some reason you can't go around it) before they can set up their mortars, let's say.

Now, Jennings and Rather (whose journalism ethics question was about this) spotted, but didn't alert you to, the enemy.  Somebody in your unit saw the bad guys.

So do you have an obligation to warn these fellows about the danger they are treading in?

Or does the obligation to the safety of your men dictate that you let Rather & Jennings clear a couple of mines, to make it a little less dangerous for your unit to proceed?
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Huh?  Are you people daft?  It's the media, however bad that they are, that is giving lowly civilians any sense at all of what is going on over there in our names.  If the military were allowed to run wild (as they almost are), imagine what mischief (think atrocities) might take place.  "We're at war, so anything goes" is just a convenient justification for  fascists to do as they please.  

In past wars, the media had lots more access to the front lines.  I refrain from calling this bullshit a war, it is really just a big dog & pony production put on to make the government look like it is doing something useful, which it is not.  You'll know when it's a war--when planes loaded with body bags start coming home.  Until then, try not to pay any attention to the garbage that passes for news these days.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I refrain from calling this bullshit a war, it is really just a big dog & pony production put on to make the government look like it is doing something useful, which it is not. You'll know when it's a war--when planes loaded with body bags start coming home.
View Quote

Shame on Bush for not getting more Americans killed. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Let us remember that, before the Second amendment, there lies the First. These Rights come with responsibility, and the media in general, usually fails to exercise their responsibility, to our troops. While I don't agree with their tactics, they are doing a job. If no one watched the evening news, or picked up a paper, they wouldn't be in business. They do these things because society allows them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top