Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2001 9:49:51 AM EDT
I am not sure that I understand why there are so many partial guns for sale...???

Being somewhat of a newby to the AR and its history...I was wondering if someone could explain to me why you would sell a preban lower and keep the preban upper for use on another preban lower...if it was with its factory mate to begin with?  

I just do not understand...please help.

thanks
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#1]
That puzzled me too. My guess is that a lot of people like to build custom configurations, and start with a full gun and sell the parts they don't use to offset their costs.

I bought a Bushmaster with an aftermarket upper and barrel. I don't know if the previous owner started with a complete rifle, but if he did, the original upper is out there somewhere.

I just got a Colt A1 upper with a 16" Wilson Heavy barrel to swap onto that Bushmaster lower if I feel like shooting a carbine instead of a bench rest configuration.

I guess that's the part that is getting me hooked on ARs. There are an infinite number of configurations, and for people like me who like to keep things changing to keep them fresh, who could ask for a better firearm? :)
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 10:08:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for asking the ?, M1A.
I also have pondered the why. I can tell you
one thing I have observed and that is a mis-
matched upper/lower does not get the money a
matched upper/lower brings at the gunshows.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I know alot of people sell there pre-ban lower without the upper because they may have another pre-ban lower to use it with.  The advantage to the AR system is you can have an unlimited supply of uppers and just pop them on the lower and hit the range.  I personally like to have one upper for every lower.  But thats me.

The Azalin
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 10:25:49 AM EDT
[#4]
M1A, there's good reason why people do that.  They are personalizing their AR15, which is one of the major benefits of the rifle.  For many and exact color match is not an issue.  If you're a collector it may be. if you're a shooter you probably don't pay too much attention to it.

Many get an upper they like - the way it shoots, it's reliability and would just like to keep it.

Azalin, you're off the mark - you [i]need[/i] 2 uppers for each lower. [;)]  I like to have one CQB upper and one accurate shooter upper for each lower.  Hey, then you're well covered, right?  

And there are also the cases where folks need a few hundred bucks fast cash but just don't want to part with the whole weapon.  Again, just another benefit of the AR15 rifle class.

Shoot well.

CMOS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top