Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2002 11:04:53 AM EDT
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/02/11/killer.snake.ap/index.html[/url]

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- A 10-foot-long Burmese python killed its owner Sunday by coiling so tightly around him that the man could not breathe, authorities said.

"He was handling the snake and showing it to someone when the snake wrapped around his chest," said Rory Chetelat, spokesman for the Aurora Fire Department.

Firefighters said the owner was a big man in his 40s, Chetelat said. His name was not immediately released.

The snake weighed 75 to 80 pounds.

Six firefighters and police officers were needed to remove the snake and free the man.

"Two police officers tried to place their batons between the snake and the man's neck so he could breathe," police spokeswoman Kathleen Walsh said.

The man died of asphyxiation, said Bev Petry, spokeswoman for the Medical Center of Aurora in suburban Denver.

Firefighters later herded the snake into its cage and turned it over to animal control. Walsh said an Aurora ordinance bans owning pet snakes longer than 6 feet.

Link Posted: 2/11/2002 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Egad! If my roommate's snake tries that shit (11 foot burmese python) I'll shoot the bastard!

Here's the snake a year ago with some of my friends... it's a little bigger now.

[img]http://www.student.smsu.edu/s/srv656s/images/Distant_Everyone_Large.jpg[/img]

Shawn
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#2]
That's exactly what one handed locking folders are for. I guess not even one person there had a pocket knife on them. Just jam that knife anywhere in the snake and start sawing your way out.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with Sodie...use a damned knife! EMTs and Police let the guy die because they are too PC-whipped by the PETA crowd. Shame on them. Too bad for the city taxpayers because the stiff's next of kin are worth millions now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I agree with Sodie...use a damned knife! EMTs and Police let the guy die because they are too PC-whipped by the PETA crowd. Shame on them. Too bad for the city taxpayers because the stiff's next of kin are worth millions now.
View Quote

The dead mans NOK would have one hell of a time collecting any money if I was on that jury.  Reptiles are not social animals.  They exist for three reasons. To feed, to fight, to f**k, and that is all.  But I agree, the cops should have gutted the snake, but if "Herpatoligist Harry" would have survived, he probably would have beat feet to the nearest PETA lawyer he could find.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top