Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/10/2002 4:52:12 PM EDT
I see a lot of disagreement in some of the other threads.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Nascar sucks.  All you do is drive in a circle!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Compared to what?  Group 7 roadracing it's not but for a convenient fix of noise and color it ain't bad even if a little boring at times.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Nascar sucks.  All you do is drive in a circle!!
View Quote

So I take it you would be a candidate to vote for my TRACK and FIELD SUCKS POLL?
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Formula One is true racing
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#5]
1. Nascar doen't only use oval tracks, therefore they do not only drive in circles.

2. F1 does kick major ass.

3. So does the ALMS, American Le Mans Series.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#6]
If you don't like NASCAR, try watching some world rally racing. 80+mph on a logging trail next to a cliff. THAT looks like FUN![;D]
[BD]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the Torque & Recoil Club.  Smoke, Noise and Fear.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Different people like different forms and that is fine by me.  

NASCAR is uniquely American.  Suits me just fine although the less flamboyant types that now rule are not as exciting as the old guys.

I find all raod racing boring and difficult to see.  F1 is worst of all as it is just a parade.  Couple seasons back only FOUR passes took place on the track (rather than pits) for the WHOLE SEASON!  THAT sucks!  It is SO European which I dislike.  CART has tried to emulate F! and is nearly dead as a result.  You wanna run in America, you goes in a circle!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup, it sucks !!!! The cars are just rolling billboards and the fans resemble a hillbilly swapmeet at a trailer park on free beer day.
[:E]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#10]
If they want to give it any legitimacy, take Taurus, Monte Carlo, Intrepid, and Grand Prix bodies from the factory, modify them for rear wheel drive, make them run the V6's they come with and fuel injection like the street car has, have the same rules package for everyone (spoiler, ride height, etc) instead of different rules for tube frame chassis (Chevy has this much spoiler, Ford has that much spoiler, blah blah) that are supposed to be the aforementioned cars but are not, and let them have at it.

In the American LeMans Series the GTS and GT cars are exactly what they claim to be.  A Corvette or Viper or Saleen or BMW or Porsche or Mazda is production bodies modified for racing.  A prototype, the premier class, is just that, but it does not claim to be a street car.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:10:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to really like NASCAR. I used to like it when the races were on TNN and ESPN. But TNN used to really do a good coverage of the races. You actually could learn alot about the history of the tracks and drivers. This big network TV coverage is the thing that drove me away from it. It just does not seem to be the same sport. When I first started watching the races it just seemed liked the drivers were out to have a good time. Now its dollar signs and ratings. I actually get more joy out of going up to the local Saturday night track to get my Racing fix.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
...and the fans resemble a hillbilly swapmeet at a trailer park on free beer day.
View Quote

Hmmm, the same can be said about a gunshow, except gunshows are typically smellier than WC races in my experience.

Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#13]
The cars are just rolling billboards and the fans resemble a hillbilly swapmeet at a trailer park on free beer day.
View Quote

Yep, met the whole spectre family at Bristol last year.  

NACSAR doesn't draw the cheese and wine, stick your pinky out, "we don't sweat, we perspire" crowd.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#14]
It's true that the NASCAR cars have tube chassis, ect., but  only a handful of cars have full frames now-a-days, and even fewer cars are RWD (another topic all together).
But the risks that the drivers take are alot higher now than in the '70, which was when the last NASCAR cars could still be bought in a dealership.
It's just like IPSC shooting. it has become a technology (and safety)driven sport. I wouldn't WANT to drive a production Monty Carlo at 190+, because the safety features are not there.
As for the 6 bange series, look at the Goody's Dash series.
NASCAR is as American as it gets. Ever see someone REFUSE to stand for the National Anthem? Nope. Ever see a fly by at a football game?? Nope. Did the NFL do anything EACH GAME for the loss of a member? Or for the terrorists attacks? Nope.
The drivers in NASCAR are more patriotic than any other sports players. They are also the most humble. Ever see a NASCAR driver hold out for more money? ver see the NACAR drivers go on strike? Nope.
But that's just MY opinion.

[smoke]  
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's true that the NASCAR cars have tube chassis, ect., but  only a handful of cars have full frames now-a-days, and even fewer cars are RWD (another topic all together).
But the risks that the drivers take are alot higher now than in the '70, which was when the last NASCAR cars could still be bought in a dealership.
It's just like IPSC shooting. it has become a technology (and safety)driven sport. I wouldn't WANT to drive a production Monty Carlo at 190+, because the safety features are not there.
As for the 6 bange series, look at the Goody's Dash series.
NASCAR is as American as it gets. Ever see someone REFUSE to stand for the National Anthem? Nope. Ever see a fly by at a football game?? Nope. Did the NFL do anything EACH GAME for the loss of a member? Or for the terrorists attacks? Nope.
The drivers in NASCAR are more patriotic than any other sports players. They are also the most humble. Ever see a NASCAR driver hold out for more money? ver see the NACAR drivers go on strike? Nope.
But that's just MY opinion.

[smoke]  
View Quote
They drive production Corvettes, Vipers, and Porsches on the banking at Daytona at 190 during the Rolex24.  They have roll cages, etc that are more than adequate, so the same could apply to a production Monte Carlo.  The V6 series is Busch Grand National, not Goodies.  I have seen a fly by at an NFL game and the NFL did have a service at each game in honor of the victims of Sept 11.  I have seen non American and American drivers hold American flags out their car windows on the pace lap of the Rolex24 during Desert Storm.  I wasn't at the Rolex this year due to being out of the country working, but I would imagine the same thing happened.  I have seen NASCAR drivers switch teams for more money.  Pro Rasslin' is as American as it gets and I won't watch it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
NACSAR doesn't draw the cheese and wine, stick your pinky out, "we don't sweat, we perspire" crowd.
View Quote
What a stereotype!  You haven't been to a road race, have you?  Hardly a cheese and wine crowd.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#17]
You can't kill yourself even if you try in NASCAR.
What a boring bunch of shit.
Dirt tracking motorcycles on the mile is the last gladiator sport.
The times run by grannies at the racing schools
are not that far behind the pros.
They should take the fenders off anyway.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You can't kill yourself even if you try in NASCAR.
What a boring bunch of shit.
Dirt tracking motorcycles on the mile is the last gladiator sport.
The times run by grannies at the racing schools
are not that far behind the pros.
They should take the fenders off anyway.
View Quote

You just proved what a dumbass you are. Last year Dale Earnhardt died at Daytona. The year before that Kenny Irwin and Adam Petty died at the same track in the same turn at diferent times.
Here is a list of NASCAR drivers who have died on the track...
2001: Dale Earnhardt at Daytona.
2000: Tony Roper at Texas Motor Speedway.
2000: Kenny Irwin, Jr. at Loudon, N.H.
2000: Adam Petty at Loudon, N.H.
1997: John Nemechek at Homestead, Fla.
1994: Neil Bonnett at Daytona.
1994: Rodney Orr at Daytona.
1993: Joe Booher at Daytona.
1992: Clifford Allison at Michigan Speedway.
1991: J.D. McDuffie at Watkins Glen, N.Y.
1989: Grant Adcox at Atlanta.
1986: John Anderson at Charlotte.
1984: Terry Schoonover at Atlanta.
1980: Ricky Knotts at Daytona.
1980: Tim Williamson at Riverside, Calif.
1970: Talmage Prince at Daytona.
1967: Billy Foster at Riverside, Calif.
1965: Harold Kite at Charlotte.
1965: Buren Skeen at Darlington.
1965: Billy Wade at Daytona.
1964: Jimmy Pardue at Charlotte.
1964: Fireball Roberts at Charlotte.
1964: Joe Weatherly at Riverside, Calif.
1964: Bobby Marshman at Phoenix.
1959: Marshall Teague at Daytona.
1958: Billy Myers at Winston-Salem, N.C.
1958: Gwyn Staley at Richmond.
1957: Bobby Myers at Darlington.
1956: Thomas 'Cotton' Priddy at LeHi, Ark.
1956: Clint McHugh at LeHi, Ark.
1956: John McVitty at Langhorne, Pa.
1954: Lou Figaro at North Wilksboro, N.C.
1954: Larry Mann at Langhorne, Pa.
1954: Wally Campbell at Salem, Ind.
1953: Jesse Midkiff at Raleigh, N.C.
1953: Bill Blevins at Raleigh, N.C.
1953; Frank Arford at Langhorne, Pa.
1952: Rex Stansell at Darlington.
List thaken from NASCAR.com
[url]www.nascar.com/2001/NEWS/08/17/dalesr_duskey/[/url]
Have fun taking your foot out of your mouth boresnake.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Nascar pretends to be stock cars.  In the good ole days, they used to buy a car a the dealer, weld in a roll bar, put on slicks, and go racing.  What they have now is an embarassment to motor sports.

99% left turns only
Rule book is written in pencil. (and the eraser is wore down)
Restricter plates.  
Phoney manufacturers competition.

NASCAR is a shadow of real stock car racing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They drive production Corvettes, Vipers, and Porsches on the banking at Daytona at 190 during the Rolex24.  They have roll cages, etc that are more than adequate, so the same could apply to a production Monte Carlo.  The V6 series is Busch Grand National, not Goodies.  I have seen a fly by at an NFL game and the NFL did have a service at each game in honor of the victims of Sept 11.  I have seen non American and American drivers hold American flags out their car windows on the pace lap of the Rolex24 during Desert Storm.  I wasn't at the Rolex this year due to being out of the country working, but I would imagine the same thing happened.  I have seen NASCAR drivers switch teams for more money.  Pro Rasslin' is as American as it gets and I won't watch it.
View Quote

Let's see. The Corvette that Dale Sr. and Jr. drove(the Goodwrench #3) wasn't anywhere NEAR production specs. How do I know? Simple. THe car has a CARBON FIBER body, not fiberglass. The chassis and suspension are not stock either. None of the Corvettes that are sponsered in the 24 Hour are production cars. They are all RACE SPECIFIC cars. And I doubt that the Vipers are stock either. And all the prototype cars are race specific as well.
The GN series is a weaker V8, the Goody's Dash series is 6 Cylinder (yes it true) and Daytona in the longest track that they race at.
Most Goody Dash cars run at 3/4 or shorter tracks. Bush GN is regulated to shorter races, a set number of tires, and weaker v8's. That's the ONLY difference between GN and WC.
And what's wrong with "rassalin"?
None of the NFL games that I happened to see had ANY kind of memorial service for the attacks, and if they did, it didn't last for the rest of the season.
Without ANY prompting, the race fans had a moment of silence on EVERY lap 3 of EVERY race (regardless of who they were rooting for) after Dale Sr. died. That would NEVER happen in any other sport.
And how many NFL games have a fly by? Every one? Nope. Just the 1 you saw.
And as for the team switch for more money, so what. NASCAR drivers have never been on strike DEMANDING more money.
No NASCAR driver has ever been arrested for drugs, or murder, unlike baseball and football.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yup, it sucks !!!! The cars are just rolling billboards and the fans resemble a hillbilly swapmeet at a trailer park on free beer day.
View Quote

Hey, I resemble that remark!!![:D]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Nascar is pretty good entertainment compared to the National Felon league and others.
Besides, quite a few of the race drivers, teams and fans are people who believe in hunting and preserving our rights.  except maybe that pretty boy Jeff Gordon!
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Oiginally posted by LARRYG:
The V6 series is Busch Grand National, not Goodies.
View Quote

Wrong.  Busch cars are indeed V-8s, not V-6 as they once were, with a different compression ratio than WC V8s. This was done to help those teams that compete in both Series financially. Goody's Dash cars are V-6 powered, smaller cars loosely based on Pontiac Sunfires / similar.
Ya know, there are those of us that try to appreciate all forms of motorsports for what they are and don't feel the need to trash those we don't care for by pissing off on them because they happen to be (or not be) as popular as the ones we ourselves like. I enjoy NASCAR, but think F1 cars are the pinnacle of technology and engineering. I also like Top Fuel Dragsters and Nitro Funny Cars...anything that goes from 0 to 300+ in a quarter mile is badder than any damn road car or oval car for that matter.
This whole pissing match makes as much sense as the AR vs. AK pissing match. I like what I like and Y'all like what y'all like and neither is gonna convince the other of anything. Enjoy your season.

Pit
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Somewhat even....
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Auto racing = Hillbillies turning left for miles and miles and miles.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#26]
WOW this is getting ugly.

rally is true skill
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#27]
If you want to talk about motorsports then motorcycle racing is  it.

NASCAR is good only at Watkins Glenn and Sears Point (roadracing courses).

Don't get me wrong, it takes hair on the ole nutsack to go almost 200 mph in a sled like NASCAR, but it takes even more hair and skill to do almost 200 mph on a bike!

F1 is what it is, technological wonders that fuckkin haul ass! If any of you think that F1 racing dosen't have an affect on NASCAR (10 years down the road anyways...) then look at the gnarly disc brakes, adjustable suspension, ground affects, carbon fiber and on and on and on..

When I want to watch "real" cage racing I do to the local tracks.

CART and Indy car both suck (unless they are on a road course).

The only racing that is fun to watch that runs in a circle is AMA Dirttrack or Speedway (motorcycles).

I like where NASCAR came from (moonshine running southern gangsters...errr good ole boys) but I can't stand the NASCAR / WWF enviroment it has today.

Did I mention that any form of motorcycle racing is 100% better than cage racing....
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#28]
First let me say this: How very cool we all have so many common interests. Now onto NASTYCAR. What a joke!![rolleyes]Take the Le Mans 24 Hour. All day all night, any type of weather(especially this past year,monsoon rains).WRC(rally), UNREAL speeds on roads most people could hardly WALK on. Formula One, G-forces rivaling only military aircraft, cars dancing thru the streets of Monaco, Monte Carlo(NO, not that POS jalopy "Kinny Gordine" steers left)at a 190 mph. Motorcycle roadracing, balanceing a 180 hp motorcycle on two tire contact patches the size of your palm......Nastycar is WWF for the racing illiterate. Send  the best Nastycar "driver" to ANY other racing format and watch him get lapped faster than you can say Dick Trickle( I always chuckle when I hear that name) Nastycar, what a joke. At least turn right more than twice a year and race in all weather for more than a couple of hours. Nastycar, HA, HA...[puke]  
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 12:04:25 AM EDT
[#29]
USNJoe has got it.  

Motorcycle roadracing is true balls to the wall.  And, you can walk right into your local Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Suzuki dealer, buy a 600 or 750 sport bike for less than $10K, put a few thousand more into it, and go win races against the big boys provided you have the riding skill.  It is one of the last truly accessible forms of racing. The street hardware is 9/10s of the race hardware (not including the GP bikes or AMA Superbike) and can take any rider to his limit, even the pros.  

Too bad it doesn't have the popularity here that it has in Europe.  

I can say from experience that there is no thrill, not sex, NOTHING (except maybe being in combat--which I haven't been in), like being cranked over at 100mph with your knee dragging the ground and making a pass on the inside.  

Check it out.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 1:06:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 3:00:56 AM EDT
[#31]
What a stereotype! You haven't been to a road race, have you?
View Quote

That's pretty good!  You accuse me of stereotyping.  Did you even read what I was responding too?  I must have hit a nerve.  

Yes, I've been to road races.  Didn't see you, though.  Must have been wine tasting day in the valley.  LOL  Lighten up.  Personnaly, I enjoy most racing.  Don't care much for road rallys, but that doesn't make the fans idiots.

Eddie
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 3:24:58 AM EDT
[#32]
[center][red][size=6][b]FIA World Rally![/b][/size=6][/red][/center]
[center][img]http://a324.g.akamai.net/f/324/3595/1d/www.rally-live.com/photos/2002/suede/diapo_317.jpg[/img][/center]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:32:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Whoever compaired Nascar to the WWF hit the nail on the head...We've got a few of the Nascar types running around town, you know, the guys wearing the imitation drivers jackets,with the big number 3 or whatever, and all the dumb little sponsor patches all over it, these guys have NO idea how dumb they look, they're too busy worshipping their driver-god, Geeze, these guys are ate-up with it!!! I wonder how soon it'll be before Nascar has a "Badmouthing Session" before the race? you know, just like on the WWF, where the Wrasslers badmouth each other before they step into the ring, I'm also surprized Nascar does'nt have comic books out with tall tales about the drivers, for the fans to read during a rain delay, yellow flag,Nascar is too stupid for me, I've better things to do rather than watch Nascar....
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:15:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Send  the best Nastycar "driver" to ANY other racing format and watch him get lapped faster than you can say Dick Trickle( I always chuckle when I hear that name) Nastycar, what a joke. At least turn right more than twice a year and race in all weather for more than a couple of hours. Nastycar, HA, HA...[puke]  
View Quote

I guess that you missed last year's 24 at Daytona. Dale Sr., Jr. and the othe Chevy sponsered sriver in the #3 Corvette were kicking ass, not getting lapped. And look at the IROC series, the cars are the EXACT same Firebirds with a different paint job. How many IROC titles does Eddie Cheevers have? Or Boris Said? Or any other driver from the non-Nascar circut? Now how many NASCAR drivers have IROC titles?
If yo udon't like NASCAR, fine, but don't badmouth something you don't understand. That like the expensive clay shooting crowd alking trash about US AR-15/M-16/ handgun owners.
Every race series has it challenges. In America, the dominate series in NASCAR.
[smoke]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:34:45 AM EDT
[#35]
[b]N[/b]on-
[b]A[/b]thletic
[b]S[/b]port
[b]C[/b]reated
[b]A[/b]round
[b]R[/b]ednecks
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I've better things to do rather than watch Nascar....
View Quote

Judging by how much you know about wrestling, I'm guessing you're a closet fan.  

I've never seen so many people get so rattled about something they don't like.  I don't like coffee, but I don't come unglued every time a Juan Valdez commercial comes on during a NASCAR event.

Eddie
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm not a NASCAR fan, I watch it every now and then, but mainly on the tracks where they turn both ways.

That being said, how many of you whiners have ever driven a car fast on even a banked circle track? It's not easy to do it lap after lap. And it takes a whole lot of guts to do it right.

Picture this; you're in a car at ~180 MPH approaching turn 1, you pick a line, which means you point your car at a particular spot on the wall ahead of you, and can only hope that nobody gets in your way. Why? because you can't slow down, you can only speed up.

Touch the brakes? The back end comes around and you hit the wall.

Get off the gas? The back end comes around and you hit the wall.

Turn the steering wheel more than a degree or two? The back end of the car comes around and you hit the wall.

About the only manuvering you can do is to speed up, which pushes your car down the track, so hopefully you can get under any slower traffic. And all this while the g-forces are trying to yank you out of your seat and you're holdoing on to that steering wheel. Serious upper body strength and endurance involved here. And this dosen't even touch on driving skill.

Don't knock it until you've actually tried it.

Link Posted: 2/11/2002 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Nascar is technologically in the stone age!

Carburators?  What auto manufacturer in the US still mass produces non-fuel injected vehicles?

Tube frame chassis?  Come on!  Get your carbon-fiber on, guys!

They only turn left!  Some of these guys [i]have[/i] to be talented drivers... give 'em some twists to prove it!

Live axles!  'Nuff said!

These teams spend copious amounts of money perfecting 50's technology... That money and effort would be better served improving new technology that might actually trickle down to us consumers. I love pushrod V8's, but they've been improved upon; somehow nascar ignores this. And all that money, time and manpower used to squeeze the last drop of power out of a smallblock is wasted by the introduction of a single restrictor plate, which starts the whole cycle again, how to make more power with the restrictor plate.  Just dumb.

Just my $.02

[flame]Flamesuit on.[flame]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#40]
yes it sucks to the enteenth degree id rather...

1.watch paint dry

2. watch spinach grow

3. watch rosie o's secret lesbian sex tapes

3.watch the back street boys or manudo in concert.

or my personal favorite.....
Saw open my skull and fondle my brain
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#42]
For those who have unnecessarily trashed a motor sport that [b]MILLIONS[/b] enjoy, try going to a race before you affix your final judgement. Bunch of rednecks and hillbilly's watching cars go around in circles. Yeah...lets put your ox on the table to gore. When you have no knowledge of the subject matter, you usually make a fool out of yourself. Congratulations of revealing the ignorance of your gene pool.

"it's not athletic"...strap yourself into a NASCAR, ride around in "circles" for 3 hours with in-car temps at 100+ degrees,going 200mph with 40 other guys banging your fenders...yeah, thats easy and recquires no real "athleticism" at all. More perennial stupidity at the gene pool.

It's like the WWF? Noooo, this is'nt fake, it's real. Noone dies in WWF if they take a fall. And there's usually 100,000 people watching NASCAR live. Why? Because it's fake? Nope.

NASCAR is a sport...and because it's "athletes" do not get busted for drugs, rape, spousal abuse, drunken brawls...maybe it does'nt appeal to the NFL,NBA and NHL crowd as far as heroism. Maybe Earnhardt should have shot someone in a downtown strip joint and he could have elevated to Ray Lewis status. Or the NBA player just charged for having sex with a 14 year old...yeah, NASCAR just lacks that good ole wretched, criminal pizazz.

Too bad that you judge something you've never seen LIVE...guess it's like watching porn videos and never getting laid...it's just not the same unless you've been to a race.

I took my brother to a race 9 years ago...he HATED NASCAR before he went with me...same m.o., he said NASCAR was boring, un-athletic, blah,blah... he is the biggest NASCAR fan I know now and he's a Dentist. Go figure.

Not to mention my wife....she loves going to the races and pushes me to go and get tickets. Go figure.

So before you judge...go stand "by the fence" and then you'll understand.

NASCAR fan for 16 years,
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]

Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
These teams spend copious amounts of money perfecting 50's technology...
View Quote

You mean like those dummies who soup up their AR15s and AK47s? [rolleyes]

And LS1Eddie, I understand what you're saying. I too don't understand why people get so fired up against NASCAR, but they do for some reason.

One more thing, if NASCAR driving is so easy, howcome crossover "skilled" drivers like A.J. Foyt, Mario Andretti, and Dan Gurney didn't dominate the NASCAR series? Too "easy" for them?
View Quote

Back in the late '60's when John Wyer's Gulf Ford GT40's were slaying everything that lined up at Le Mans, some folks at Dearborn asked Holman-Moody to build a Group 7 racer.  Ford wanted something that looked like everything else on the Can-Am track at the time.  Ford had two 427's, a SOHC being developed and a side-oiler ready to run.  So H-M built the "Honker" and with Mario Andretti up made a fair showing at a few races.  What Holman-Moody WANTED to do was build a NASCAR stock car for Le Mans.  They had the talent, brains and experience from five years of Henry Ford II (Deuce's) money.  Along with resources like John Mecom and a few others to boot.  Short story is it never happened but it had the all the makings of a success.  It took a big chassis to handle the torque of the big block Ford and the Galaxy chassis was a known quantity.  Ford had it's choice of drivers so Andretti, Foyt, Gurney and Parnelli Jones would have been the team made of the best that weren't committed to Can-Am at the time.  Always believed a road race NASCAR chassis could dominate Le Mans.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
For those who have unnecessarily trashed a motor sport that [b]MILLIONS[/b] enjoy, try going to a race before you affix your final judgement. Bunch of rednecks and hillbilly's watching cars go around in circles. Yeah...lets put your ox on the table to gore. When you have no knowledge of the subject matter, you usually make a fool out of yourself. Congratulations of revealing the ignorance of your gene pool.

"it's not athletic"...strap yourself into a NASCAR, ride around in "circles" for 3 hours with in-car temps at 100+ degrees,going 200mph with 40 other guys banging your fenders...yeah, thats easy and recquires no real "athleticism" at all. More perennial stupidity at the gene pool.

It's like the WWF? Noooo, this is'nt fake, it's real. Noone dies in WWF if they take a fall. And there's usually 100,000 people watching NASCAR live. Why? Because it's fake? Nope.

NASCAR is a sport...and because it's "athletes" do not get busted for drugs, rape, spousal abuse, drunken brawls...maybe it does'nt appeal to the NFL,NBA and NHL crowd as far as heroism. Maybe Earnhardt should have shot someone in a downtown strip joint and he could have elevated to Ray Lewis status. Or the NBA player just charged for having sex with a 14 year old...yeah, NASCAR just lacks that good ole wretched, criminal pizazz.

Too bad that you judge something you've never seen LIVE...guess it's like watching porn videos and never getting laid...it's just not the same unless you've been to a race.

I took my brother to a race 9 years ago...he HATED NASCAR before he went with me...same m.o., he said NASCAR was boring, un-athletic, blah,blah... he is the biggest NASCAR fan I know now and he's a Dentist. Go figure.

Not to mention my wife....she loves going to the races and pushes me to go and get tickets. Go figure.

NASCAR fan for 16 years,

View Quote

Get a life, skippy.  It's only entertainment.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#45]
I can't speak for anybody else, but what I don't like most is the way NASCAR monopolizes TV motorsports coverage.  It seems to me that NASCAR is all about profit, and not as much about racing as other motor sports.  TV stations don't care what they show as long as they make profit.

I want to see real stock cars race, or state-of-the art race cars and motorcycles.  Showing these races does not make as much money, but is more entertaining than watching restricter plate cars go around in a circle.  I have riden Laguna Seca and taken CLASS at Sears Point.  I enjoy good racing and will probably go see the Grand Prix of Monterey in June.  These races are more about competing than marketing.

This is just an opinion, and you are welcome to love NASCAR as much as you want.  I just wish it was not at the expense of other motor sports.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If they want to give it any legitimacy, take Taurus, Monte Carlo, Intrepid, and Grand Prix bodies from the factory, modify them for rear wheel drive, make them run the V6's they come with and fuel injection like the street car has, have the same rules package for everyone (spoiler, ride height, etc) instead of different rules for tube frame chassis (Chevy has this much spoiler, Ford has that much spoiler, blah blah) that are supposed to be the aforementioned cars but are not, and let them have at it.
View Quote

Why do they have to make the changes you suggest to gain legitimacy ? Everyone knows that the cars are not "stock" anymore. Get over it. F1 and the other types of race cars have all race parts on them so what makes them so much more legitamate ?
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Nascar is technologically in the stone age!

Carburators?  What auto manufacturer in the US still mass produces non-fuel injected vehicles?

Tube frame chassis?  Come on!  Get your carbon-fiber on, guys!

They only turn left!  Some of these guys [i]have[/i] to be talented drivers... give 'em some twists to prove it!

Live axles!  'Nuff said!

These teams spend copious amounts of money perfecting 50's technology... That money and effort would be better served improving new technology that might actually trickle down to us consumers. I love pushrod V8's, but they've been improved upon; somehow nascar ignores this. And all that money, time and manpower used to squeeze the last drop of power out of a smallblock is wasted by the introduction of a single restrictor plate, which starts the whole cycle again, how to make more power with the restrictor plate.  Just dumb.

Just my $.02

[flame]Flamesuit on.[flame]
View Quote

Thats the beauty of Nascar, the fact that they can make 700+ hp with old technology.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

NASCAR fan for 16 years,

View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Golglop,

Got a life skippy...who the who hell is skippy?? Dweeb.

Shoot your gun instead of your mouth...it's more "entertaining."

Link Posted: 2/11/2002 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
First let me say this: How very cool we all have so many common interests. Now onto NASTYCAR. What a joke!![rolleyes]Take the Le Mans 24 Hour. All day all night, any type of weather(especially this past year,monsoon rains).WRC(rally), UNREAL speeds on roads most people could hardly WALK on. Formula One, G-forces rivaling only military aircraft, cars dancing thru the streets of Monaco, Monte Carlo(NO, not that POS jalopy "Kinny Gordine" steers left)at a 190 mph. Motorcycle roadracing, balanceing a 180 hp motorcycle on two tire contact patches the size of your palm......Nastycar is WWF for the racing illiterate. Send  the best Nastycar "driver" to ANY other racing format and watch him get lapped faster than you can say Dick Trickle( I always chuckle when I hear that name) Nastycar, what a joke. At least turn right more than twice a year and race in all weather for more than a couple of hours. Nastycar, HA, HA...[puke]  
View Quote

Nascar has as much in common with the WWF as you do with the human race.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top