Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2002 2:50:35 PM EDT
I adopted a 18 month old neutered male yesterday, bright white-blue eyes. He seems to get along with my Golden Retriever, also a neutered male of the same age. Besides the obvious need for activity all the time, what other traits do I need to know about these dogs -- both good and bad.

I understand that they have a bad rep with some people because they misunderstand their wolf-like looks, but he seems extremely smart, just a little twitchy, and loves to lay under my desk while I'm on the computer.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations on your adoption.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a female Siberian Husky. Husky's are a pack animal and very friendly(Usually!!  But it is 18 months old From?)
Don't leave him alone. While alone All mine does is wine, bark and chew everything.
Mine loves chocolate. We have to place all chocolate on top of the refrigerator so she doesn't get into it.

Did I mention that they like to Chew.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#3]
My friend had two when I was young. The only bad thing about them was all of the hair shed in the house. They were friendly, but were really big boned and would sometimes knock us down while trying to play with them. So be careful around young children and old people.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Had a male Husky.  Very friendly, unless you were a cat, duck, or other small critter.  Then he would kill in a flash.

If left alone he would whine non stop, and would escape from anywhere.  He bit though a heavy duty leash in under 10 min, He tunneled out of his kennel several times.  He bit the moulding off of the paneling in my basement.

Other than that he was a good dog.

I would not recommend one as a pet unless you have a team and a sled.

Or unless you work at home and will ALWAYS be with him/her.  Good luck
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#5]
This thread might help:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=74316[/url]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like just about everything I would have said has been covered: destructive, active, rowdy, extremely intellegent, easily bored, Houdinis, and nevermind that "team and sled" comment.  They make great pets IF you are willing to deal with their hangups.  They generally do not make a good watchdog.  They're too friendly.  Someone already linked to the pics my hubby posted of our three monsters...er, Huskies.

Have you seen Snowdogs?  That movie acutally portrays huskies extremely accurately.

The only thing I'd add that I think is extremely important is that you never, never, never EVER let them offleash in an unfenced area.  Never ever.  I can't stress it enough.  Eventually you WILL lose your dog if you do.  Remember they are bred to run long distances without stopping, and they do that very well.

There's a Siberian Husky list you can join.  Send a message to [email protected] and leave the subject blank.  In the body of the message, type "subscribe sibernet-l firstname lastname" without the quotes.  The list is very rescue oriented and quite anti-irresponsible breeding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top