Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2002 1:04:42 PM EDT
I spent 6 years in the Navy.  I think it'll weaken our Armed Forces.  Like trying to paint with too much thinner, half the paint wants to stay where you put it, the other half wants to run off.

You can't beat a strong volunteer force.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll take the liberty of quoting myself from the other post

NO WAY!!!!!

I'm in the military and personally I don't want to work next to somebody that doesn't want to be there. ?I'M SUPPOSED TO TRUST MY LIFE WITH THIS PERSON? There's already enough sorry bitches in the military that are bitter about joining and say that their recruiter screwed them. However, ultimately you can say to them "hey, you signed on the dotted line. Now shut up and color!"

QUALITY, NOT QUANTITY!

Think about what you're supporting before you support it. I'm glad I joined the service. I love the person it's made me. But it's not for everyone.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#3]
So far 36% Yes and 64% No.  Very interesting - especially the breakdown of the answers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 3:45:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i am torn on this issue. I was in the army. The army is already full people who don't want to be there a few more won't make that big of a difference. On the bright side even those hwo were there for the college plan came out with a better respect for the military and thier country as a whole. I know of very few people that came out worse than they went in. I wish i had gone in at 18 instead of trying college first. I might have finished my degree if i had waited.

On the downside this country is founded on personal freedom. Forcing military service is a tough call. Although i do feel everyone should give something back to their country.
View Quote
           Pretty much sums up my feelings also........[:)]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:27:40 AM EDT
[#5]
One of the reasons for the failure of the now defunct Soviet Union was forced conscription.  Elevate the basic requirements for military service and increase the compensation.  High tech weapons and gear reqire high tech people.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top