Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2002 11:59:13 AM EDT
Gentlemen,

I was just assigned a term paper for my 300 level Political Science class covering the Presidency.  Our topic is to cover a President and a specific, very narrow issue.  I signed up quickly (It was first come, first served) and got Clinton, 1st term, Gun Control, specifically the 1994 Crime Bill AKA Assault Weapons Ban.

Now, we need to identify why he wants this legislation and must determine if it is for the public good, or merely pandering to constituencies with high reelection values, etc.  So, I need to argue the sides of the coin and can easily handle almost all of their arguments with bona fide sources except for one:

The antigunners continually claim that pistol grips are intended for hip firing the weapon. As a shooter I could explain this in the paper, but that won't cut it.  I need from you, a source document (preferably a military manual that predates the 1994 ban) that outlines the problems with shooting from the hip.  The quality of the source is paramount, I cannot use a source from a purely pro gun source (I want it to seem as objective and truthful as possible).

So, if anyone can post the reference and quotes to any US military documents concerning firing from the hip, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#1]
another thing in which you might help you is the real reason why ars and the like have pistol grips. explain to them the principal of the inline stock, and how it reduces muzzle rise.

ps. congradulations on your first post
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I used that once.
Here's a few snips from a draft that I still have on Wordpad

..... During his testimony, Senator Jepsen claimed that the protruding pistol grip of an assault rifle "Clearly shows that these military style rifles are designed to be rapidly fired from a position other than the shoulder." He compared these rifles to "Semi-automatic rifles designed for hunting which can only be fired  from  the  shoulder."  
    The only fact that can be obtained from his statement is the fact that it is strikingly similar to opinionated propaganda that is posted on the web site operated  by  the Center to Prevent Handgun Violence, which reads as written below:

"Assault weapons are not just "ugly guns." Semi-automatic hunting rifles are designed to be fired from the shoulder and depend on the accurate shooting of one bullet at a time. Semi-automatic assault weapons are designed to be spray-fired from the hip and are designed to maximize death and injury from a very rapid rate of fire. Assault weapons are designed with military features such as silencers, folding stocks, flash suppressors, barrel shrouds and bayonets which are ludicrously unsuited for civilian use."................snip.........

....the United States Marine Corps 1993 MBST
"The M16A2 rifle is a 5.56 mm, magazine fed, gas- operated, air cooled, SHOULDER FIRED WEAPON."  

You will probably find it a lot more helpful if you look at proper shooting techniques and mention the lack of instructions for shooting from the hip.

PS
Quote is a verb!
You are looking for quotations[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top