Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2002 10:50:07 AM EDT
Neighbor phoned 15 min after son & he had been out front talking by the bikes.  "Have you seen my dirt bike?"

Told him to call the PD right away, as chances of recovering it would drop drastically as time passed.   Then son & I went looking.

Figuring it had been pushed downhill, we went that way, but didn't see it.  

Came back, checked with the guard at the corner store - he'd seen it being pushed by 5 kids from the project.

Went back, saw it being ridden by a juvenile,  toward the project, phoned the PD on the cell & reported it.  Unfortunately lost him due to narrow street & cars coming the other way.

This is all complicated by the fact that the neighbor had nothing but a handwritten bill of sale, expired plates (not roadworthy yet), and a description.

Went back home, PD showed up, took report for an agonizingly long time, went to look for it.

Not found.

Neighbor gets on other bike, rides through project, sees stolen dirt bike, tried to blow on by without attracting attention.  Phoned in sighting.

Different cruiser shows up, they'd gone looking & didn't see it.

As we talked, we asked the officers if there's a place where they would dump it.  They'd already planned to go by again when it seemed the heat was off.

1/2 hour later, neighbor gets call to meet cruiser & take his bike home.  Fortunately, it still ran & he got it home.

Thanks to the cops who made this recovery possible - the neighbor had no insurance on it, either.

Link Posted: 2/10/2002 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Good to hear he got it back. Most don't.

A few years back a friend went down to a neighbor's house and some punk stole his bike off the guy's front porch. I hate thieves. [pissed]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top