Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2009 2:08:47 PM EDT
Well I'm probably moving to PA. at the end of October (it's either that or back to Cali. not my choice as it's work related. I'll know by next Friday but it's probably about a 95% chance that it will be PA) so I'm going to be making the trek across country. I will be leaving from L.A. as I'm going to spend a few days there before I leave. I will be taking the 10 as I'm going to stop in San Antonio to spend a couple of days with my little brother and New Orleans to meet up with a buddy then I guess up the 95 once I hit the coast.

So what are some spots I should hit on the way that are close to those two highways? Interesting things to see, places to eat, etc etc....

ETA: Update. Well I'm taking the job in Pa. and will be making the trip in the first week of Dec. So It looks like I will be taking the 10 till I hit New Orleans then I'm going to make a detour up 55 and then take the 40 to the 85 to the 95.

Any one with with any more ideas of must see or must eat at places along that route? I plan on taking 7 or so days to make the trip because I don't like driving more than 7-800 miles a day and I have a couple one day stops I have to make.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#1]
The Patton museum in the desert east of LA?

Get some BBQ in Texas, and some cajun food in Louisiana, maybe some seafood gumbo or something
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Battleship Park in Mobile Alabama.  While you're there, ask for a restaurant with great crab claws.

Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The Patton museum in the desert east of LA?

Get some BBQ in Texas, and some cajun food in Louisiana, maybe some seafood gumbo or something

This.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#4]
BBQ in Texas, steak in Houston
Stop in New Orleans
Mobile is a cool town - battleship park is a good stop.
I'm assuming you're heading to eastern PA.  Personally, I hate I-95 - traffic, boring, trucks, idiot slow drivers going to or from FL - I'd suggest I-65 out of Mobile to Montgomery, then either 59 to 75 (through TN) to 81 into PA, or 85 (through Atlanta) to 77 to 81.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
BBQ in Texas, steak in Houston
Stop in New Orleans
Mobile is a cool town - battleship park is a good stop.
I'm assuming you're heading to eastern PA.  Personally, I hate I-95 - traffic, boring, trucks, idiot slow drivers going to or from FL - I'd suggest I-65 out of Mobile to Montgomery, then either 59 to 75 (through TN) to 81 into PA, or 85 (through Atlanta) to 77 to 81.

Yeah I would be heading to Royersford. About 30 miles NW of Philly. I'm open to other routes and will look into those you mentioned.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I-95 traffic sucks from Richmond, VA north.

But hell I'd go to DC if I'd never been.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah I-95 traffic sucks from Richmond, VA north.

But hell I'd go to DC if I'd never been.

I never have and would like to. We'll see.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah I would be heading to Royersford. About 30 miles NW of Philly. I'm open to other routes and will look into those you mentioned.

You should be less than hour from the New Holland Rifle & Pistol Club.  They have a very nice 600 yard range.  I don't belong but shot there a couple of times in the 90s.  If I lived a little closer I'd definitely join.

Link Posted: 9/22/2009 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should be less than hour from the New Holland Rifle & Pistol Club.  They have a very nice 600 yard range.  I don't belong but shot there a couple of times in the 90s.  If I lived a little closer I'd definitely join.

Sweet. Looks like a cool place. I will definitely check it out.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Bump. There has to be people here that can recommend some good "greasy spoons" to hit on the way.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Bump for update and more ideas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top