Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2002 8:22:00 AM EDT
When you heard the news JFK had been assasinated???
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I was probably driving my mom nuts! I was, afterall, only two years old. Actually, I think we were in the process of moving from Florida to Maryland when it happened.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I was standing in my folks living room by the southwest window playing with a yoyo.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#3]
About like Gus. It was about two weeks shy of my 3rd birthday. I certainly don't remember the assasination. But I do remember watching the funeral procession on the b&w tv with my mom. And asking her what it was about. And her trying to tell me, and she did a good job, and defining the word and act of assasination.

But when mom passed on in June of '81....well the rest of the '80's became a blur.  Oh, wait, that's a different thread. [:D]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I was non-existing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was non-existing.
View Quote

You must be pro-abortion then.  *I* existed, even if I hadn't been incarnated yet. [rolleyes]

(Joking, joking. . . .  You can climb down from the ceiling now, and quit waving that axe at me.)
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I was swimming around in my dad's nut sack when he was in middle school.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I was in heaven with the Big Guy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I was in the storm drain on the North side of Dealey Plaza.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:22:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I was in 7th grade English class when it was announced on the PA. The girl next to me started crying, as did a lot of my other classmates.
I didn't cry. My parents were staunch Republicans and [s]hated[/s] disliked the Kennedys, even then.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I was in high school.  Interuped my Algebra class.  Like Crookshanks parents my family was very anti Kennedy.  We thought he was a real asshole.  We felt he stole the election from Nixon with all that crap in Chicago.  Being Floridians and having Cuban American friends we were pissed at him for not having the guts to stand up to commies in Cuba.  We really didn't like his lack of guts in not suppling air support at the Bay of Pigs.  Left those poor freedom fighters hanging out.  He was really pathetic with the missile problem.  He should have listened to his military peple and ended the Soviet-Cuban thing right then and there.  Being Southerners we also couldn't stand his know-it-all,"I'm better than you because I'm a rich Northeasterner and Harvard educated" brother.  Never should have sent federal troops to Alabama.  

We didn't like the idea that an American president had been assinated but we didn't cry all that much either.  The stupid Demoncrats and the Hollywoody liberals have made him out to be a god or something.  The movie about him and the 14 days in October that was out last year was a pathetic peice of shit.  The movie about him and PT 109 was inaccurate.  A man that served with Kennedy on PT 109 lives in the area.  He has been on the radio several times complaining about the movie making a hero of someone who was really a first rate asshole.

Sorry to ramble.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:00:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I was sick and at home eating chicken soup while watching the idiot tube, as my dad called it. Mom was sniffy nosed and watery eyed from the news.  Dad came home, popped open a PBR can(I'd drink it today if it still tasted the same, great nutty, cask flavor) and went to the bathroom.  When he came back for his first sip of the PBR and saw my mother's face....well, I remember it like it was yesterday, he asked what was the matter.  After she had sobbed out(hey, my mother and father are hardcore conservatives)that "he's dead" my dad replied, "Best damn thing he ever did" and went to take his first sip.

Dave S

I also remember bomb shelters being built, seeing the Beatles on the Ed S Show(with dad reading the paper and saying, "Dammit to hell if you kids are going to buy any of their records to support their drug habit!" and...........        
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]
non-existing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:21:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Driving to my Uncle's house. My aunt (his sister) was taking care of his five kids. He had just gone back to work after his wife died. They had three adopted kids because they were told they could not have any of their own and then they had a girl and a boy. She was 39, just dropped dead at a school fashion show. With all that the Kennedy tragedy didn't seem so tragic to our family.

Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I was standing on the third floor of a book suppository.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Didn't exist, but Reagan's I was in Spanish class after lunch.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 4:42:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I was on duty in the radioroom of the ammunition ship that I was serving on, when the message came across the teletype. I tore it off and ran out onto the bridge and gave it to the Captian, who read it to the crew over the 1MC, we then immediately went the General Quarters and manned our battle stations, while we were steaming up the Sacremento River to our home port of Naval Weapons Station Concord, Ca.

7th
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I was the second gunman on the grassy knoll.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I was in the 9th grade-a real high school freshman,trying to console Susy Rotten Crotch,with the hopes it would help me get under her sweater later on.
Actually,I wondered what the hell was going on.
Talk about security;a weirdo,a cheap rifle and a bookstore.
Oh yeah,and the guys on the knoll.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Dig, I was living in the Village, finishing up a monster bongo solo at the Cafe Wha?  I was coming down off a three day benzedrine jag so I was all freaked out, man.

Anyway, I was ready to head uptown to hear Ginsburg give a lecture at Columbia when I heard the bummer news.  Baby, that JFK was one hep cat.  He was real gone daddy-o, with those crazy Ray-Bans.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#21]
9th grade at Mark Twain Jr. High 5th period, algebra class, Mrs Lourie (got a B.) News came over the intercom Mr. Rumsey, the principal, made the announcement.  Girls started crying, guys kinda went speechless.  The school dance, scheduled for that night, was cancelled.  When I went home, Mom was crying, Dad got home that night pretty shook-up. I went surfing the next day. Both my folks loved the guy.
That day is etched into my DNA.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I did not hear the news but I was born exactly 9 months after the assasination.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I was a month old.  

Yikes.  Man, those were the days huh?  Ahhh I can remember my first combat gear my dad got me for X-mas in '69-70-71.  My brother and I were gearing up, had our fatigues, ammo belts and canteens, rifles, the whole thing.  I was six-seven years old running around this huge grape field playing war with my friends -- our house faced an old German bunker from the war (We were stationed in Greece at that time.)  

We would take turns assualting the old German bunker complex, and funny enough...I can remember no one ever wanted to be the defenders.

Ahh the sixties.

I wonder if that old bunker complex is still standing today.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Playing dodge ball against the side of the office building at the American embassy compound in Monrovia, Liberia.

Even in 1963 we were able to get the word within 30 minutes. No video though.

About 2 weeks after the funeral the Embassy obtained a film of the procession. It was played over and over for about three days so that Americans from all over the country could see it.

I remember a group of mining engineers that had traveled two days by Land Rover to see the film. First time I ever saw tears on an adult mans face. That shook me up.

I watched the Marine guards lower the flag to half-staff in their dress uniforms. Man, they were Gods to us 10 year olds!

Mike
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I was in 5th or 6th grade. They sent us home from school. Some of the teachers didn't tell their class what happened. I found out from another kid while walking home from school. I remember watching the funeral, but I missed Ruby shooting Oswald, although they replayed it several times.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I had just turned 3 and I don't remember the actual assination but I do remember watching the funeral procession on TV with my mom.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Checking out of "Fleet Sonar School" in San Diego.

Called the boat and told them I was coming, caught a cab to the sub base - the stern was already swung out into the channel and only the bow line remained - I threw my shit at some  one and then jumped and caught the side of the sub and the bow line was let go.

Five minutes or less later we were at battle-stations while still clearing the harbor.

I detested Kennedy - still do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top