Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2009 8:16:11 AM EDT
Story Link

The eBay auction for this 1963 Pontiac LeMans Tempest started out innocently enough. Obtained after owner died. Appears to have original interior but no motor, no transmission. Body has a little rust and some dents. There's stuff in the trunk, but no key to open it. Opening bid nine days ago was a mere $500. After one week, eBay seller 123ecklin will pocket $226,521 before auction fees. What happened between Day 1 and Day 9 is an amazing story.

The car's plexiglass windows, unusual suspension setup and a dash plate bearing the name of a racetrack tipped the owner to its racing history. But what he didn't know is that the car is one of only six 1963 Pontiac LeMans Tempest Super Duty coupes ever made. Hemmings recently did a story on the rare cars in which they listed all ever built. This one looks to have been driven by Stan Antlocer and was the fastest drag car in 1963 before disappearing.

Reading through the questions on the auction gives us reason to believe the seller truly didn't know the car's provenance. In his answers, he seems both surprised by the car's potential value as well as overwhelmed by the attention. He turned down an offer of $160,000 to end the auction early because he feared getting negative eBay feedback. That decision paid off. With only seven minutes remaining, the highest offer was $95,000. When the virtual gavel fell, eBayer ccsi2000 had bought a very rare, if a little rusty, LeMans for $226,521.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#1]
WOW !
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Stupid people.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:26:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Thats one hell of a find, but good luck finding the right motor and trans for that..they're just as rare as the cars. Kinda makes you wonder what the motor and tranny are pushing around now? and who's secret that is.. probably in some old farm truck
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:26:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Holy shit.  

Can you imagine what was going through that guys head when the bidding ended?  I can't even imagine.  Good for them, I hope they don't do what most do when they fall into a bunch of money.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Stan Antlocer circa 1963

same car?

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#6]
MOAR

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Last year just called, they want their post back.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
WOW !

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:36:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Last year just called, they want their post back.

TRG

Maybe it's another one.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't even need the story to tell you that it was a modified wheel base drag car...

I bet a local that saw that thing rust in the guy's back yard for years is kicking himself for passing up on it.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Now that Pontiac is dead it will become the new Mopar.

Many people really have no idea how many great Pontiac cars are out there but as they start to surface we will see of this type of thing.

I'm shocked at the number of folks who don't even know all Pontiacs didn't come with small block Chevys but their own line of engines.

I'm gona get rich beoch
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Holy crap. Bet that guy shit himself when he saw the auction end.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Where can he get a tranny for it?
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Holy crap. Bet that guy shit himself when he saw the auction end.

And probably cried when he saw the final Ebay fees.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top