Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2009 7:59:55 AM EDT
I can't properly lock the sliding glass doors, I've installed a new lock in it, but it's cheap metal from China, and it exploded the second time I unlocked it.

A locking bar is not an option as my doors are staggered inward. (locking one is the one on the outside.)
I want to be able to install something with minimal modification to the doors, as the house isn't mine, I rent it.
Any ideas?
eta. It's a 4-panel door.
eta2.

Note how outside door is the locking one, the one that slides open first. Locking it with a bar would mean locking it from the outside for burglars to stay inside. Not what I want.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:06:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to a machine shop, get them to cut an aluminum bar to your dimensions.  Put the bar at the bottom of the door, in the track.  I would be easier to smash the glass in.

I would also recommend replacing the sliding glass door with french doors.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:10:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Your door is instaled backwards, make a tee one board hits the door handel and the other end hits the unmovable door, the other stick holds it up leaning against the glass.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine has a little 'kick-stop' like bolt that goes downward at the bottom of the sliding door. Maybe you could jerry-rig  install one on your sliding door.

The one I have is sorta like this:

It is screwed to the sliding/locking door. and there is a catch installed in the track that it locks against.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:22:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Bolt that goes through the stationary door and into the sliding one OR a rod that wedges between the stationary door and the handle of the sliding door.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I found one that looks similar to mine:
Foot Bolt

You could install it like Position 1 on your door that slides, underneath the handle:

I suppose Position 2 would work as well, mount it to your stationary door and have the bolt go into your sliding door.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Go to a machine shop, get them to cut an aluminum bar to your dimensions.  Put the bar at the bottom of the door, in the track.  I would be easier to smash the glass in.

Or go to a craft store and get a big fat dowel rod or even a broom handle instead of using aluminum.

ETA: Or you could put all relevent info in your first post, but I guess that's harder than just being an asshole to people that were trying to help.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a bar in the tracks plus a simple pin that goes into a hole drilled through the frame of both sections of the door assembly. But the earlier poster was correct in that your door is put in the wrong way.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#8]
its the only way

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Can't slide the door?;just bust the glass.Instant access.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or go to a craft store and get a big fat dowel rod or even a broom handle instead of using aluminum.

Or re-read my original post saying a rod/dowel won't work and that I can't really modify the house as it is a rental.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#11]
this picture shows a bracket that will join the two doors together with a bolt.  just use a lynch pin in place of the bolt.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#12]
A cut down broom handle.

My mom used to put it in the bottom track after I missed curfew and there was no way short of breaking the glass was that door opening.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can't properly lock the sliding glass doors, I've installed a new lock in it, but it's cheap metal from China, and it exploded the second time I unlocked it.
A locking bar is not an option as my doors are staggered inward. (locking one is the one on the outside.)

I want to be able to install something with minimal modification to the doors, as the house isn't mine, I rent it.

Any ideas?
I use besides the normal lock a thick wooden stick in the floor level channels, you can cut them to take the whole space just remember to take them out.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:59:36 AM EDT
[#14]
People, read his post.  

He can't use a rod because it's the OUTSIDE sliding door that locks, not the inside one.

To the OP, without screwing something into the door like one or two others have suggested, I'm not really sure there is much you can do.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah, but it makes a hell of a lot of noise, which most criminals try to avoid. Noise catches peoples attention.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
this picture shows a bracket that will join the two doors together with a bolt.  just use a lynch pin in place of the bolt.
http://www.suffolk-lock.net/content/service/sliding_door_lock/Sliding.jpg

This looks like an inexpensive solution.  Try places like a full service glass shop or Ace Hardware for devices like this.  I never liked patio doors with the operator on the outside.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:05:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

http://www.suffolk-lock.net/content/service/sliding_door_lock/Sliding.jpg

That could work...

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Go to your land lord and tell him you are afraid that your sliding glass door is installed backward.  You fear that a bad guy will drop a dowel rod in the track from the outside and trap you in the building.  It's a real fire hazard.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:06:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but it makes a hell of a lot of noise, which most criminals try to avoid. Noise catches peoples attention.

Not with an automatic center punch muffled.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#20]
dont make it too difficult dude. find a two inch diameter stick at home depot. Cut to length and drop in exsposed track on the inside of the house.

wont stop you from busting the glass out but that door wont be opening.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not with an automatic center punch muffled.

If I have to get burglarized I'd prefer they break the window instead of just wiggling the operator panel over the lock.

I'm sure the insurance company would agree. They'd prefer locked doors over unlocked ones.
Quoted:

dont make it too difficult dude. find a two inch diameter stick at home
depot. Cut to length and drop in exsposed trap on the inside of the
house.

Please re-read the OP, and take a minute to study the MSPAINT blueprint.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#22]
im amazed at how people wont read the first post and realize the dowel in the track wont work.

I would talk to the landlord and tell him your concerns.  Its his responsibility to provide you with a lock, and in many states they must have a deadbolt or extra lock than can only be used from the inside.  I don't know how that would work with a sliding glass door.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
dont make it too difficult dude. find a two inch diameter stick at homedepot. Cut to length and drop in exsposed trap on the inside of thehouse.

My bad i did not understand. Autonomous sentry gun is your only other option.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:14:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
im amazed at how people wont read the first post and realize the dowel in the track wont work.

I would talk to the landlord and tell him your concerns.  Its his responsibility to provide you with a lock, and in many states they must have a deadbolt or extra lock than can only be used from the inside.  I don't know how that would work with a sliding glass door.

its not our fault OP has an A-typical sliding glass door.. I had never seen such a door first hand.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dont make it too difficult dude. find a two inch diameter stick at homedepot. Cut to length and drop in exsposed trap on the inside of thehouse.

Monkeys with big stone paddles.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Monkeys with big stone paddles.

Best idea so far...

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#27]
The OP needs to read this thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=930239

His question should have began with, "I have an atypical door............"

We would have, then, read further into his dilemma.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:25:42 AM EDT
[#29]
This post is relevant to my interests, as I just started renting a place that has a similar door.  Hopefully one of the solutions here will work for me too.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

+1

Post after post after post of advice from folks who didn't read what he said or look at what he drew.  Yikes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Either through bolt add ons as shown above, or if it's near standard dimensions and not some hard to match custom crap you could look at Craigslist and local construction surplus sites for a replacement that is more secure.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Okay, if you aren't allowed the monkeys with stone paddles due to pet policy here's my next suggestion:

Drill a pilot hole through the two frames when closed.

Screw in a thumb bolt.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#33]
I use one of these on mine.

AB
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't think that will work either since the door is backwards.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't think that will work either since the door is backwards.

Yes it will, the deadbolt goes into the frame above and the assembly is mounted to a panel.

AB

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Can you swap the handles outside to inside so the lock mech was in? I know only the first panel would open after that (if I read correctly) but at least you could lock it. My sliders inside mech is flush mount so it would slide past another panel if needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top