Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2009 5:44:24 AM EDT
I'm getting a mac.

I''m using it to surf the web, watch movies and store a few pictures, not a crazy amount.
no video editing, no gaming, nothing but boring regular usage.

I'm having a hard time justifying an imac over a mac mini.

I've listed my pro's for each below, I look forward to your help!

Pros for the imac:
The screen  is indeed a thing to behold,
Larger HD
Faster processor
All in one design is neat

Pros for the mini:
I can get a MUCH larger AND nicer screen for the money.
I don't need 640gb, if I need more external options are cheaper than apple upgrades anyway
I can wall mount the unit and the screen so also neat.

IMAC $1518
24" Screen
2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
640GB Serial ATA Drive
Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse
Apple Remote

MacMINI  $866
2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
120GB Serial ATA Drive
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse
Apple Remote
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 5:49:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a Mac Mini and a bitching screen and a sweet external HDD.  It will be fantastic for you.  I don't think the iMac is really worth the extra money in your case.  

Fake Edit: or put together a hackintosh
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 5:49:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Between the monitor, the much larger HD, the built-in Super Drive, and yes, the aesthetics, I'd say the iMac is worth the extra.
Yes, you can do better if money is a concern, or if you want a bigger screen.

A 120gb HD is not that big nowadays.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 5:54:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I would get the iMAC, it is a much cleaner set up, will allow you to do more in the long run, plus the price difference will not be all that much if you plan to buy a nice LCD screen the same size of the iMAC...
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 5:56:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Between the monitor, the much larger HD, the built-in Super Drive, and yes, the aesthetics, I'd say the iMac is worth the extra.[div]Yes, you can do better if money is a concern, or if you want a bigger screen.

+1

We are on our second iMac, and I am on my third Mac laptop.

If you really want to save some money, go ahead and check out the Refurbished Mac section of the Apple Store.  We bought our current iMac and my previous MacBook Pro there.  The only reason that I didn't buy my current MBP there is because Apple gave me a brand new machine after a relatively minor problem with the AirPort on my previous unit ... their customer service rocks!
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 5:57:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think you will get the performance of an internal HDD with an external. If you are only storing media externally, then maybe, but you can do that with an iMac, too.

As for the screen, if you want to go bigger, then Mac Mini is the way to go.

BTW, the iMac has the built-in camera and speakers. May not be a big deal, but there it is.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 5:59:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
their customer service rocks!

Indeed it does.

My MBP just had a fan go bad on it. I called AppleCare. They arranged for me to walk into the local Mac Store, wait 20 minutes while they replaced BOTH fans (just to be sure), and then walk out. Cost zero, and done with a smile.

Oh, and the guy on the phone spoke ENGLISH as a first language.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:02:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't think you will get the performance of an internal HDD with an external. If you are only storing media externally, then maybe, but you can do that with an iMac, too.

BTW, the iMac has the built-in camera and speakers. May not be a big deal, but there it is.

The Mac Mini internal drive will be a laptop drive, roughly half the speed of a desktop drive like in the iMac.

On my MBP, I get way faster speeds using an eSATA external and eSATA expresscard.  It's supposedly faster than FW800 (lower latency mainly), but i haven't been able to check that out
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:03:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I own a design and advertising company, we have a bunch of iMacs that get used 8 to 10 hours a day with no problems, large files and multiple large programs running at the same time. We looked into changing over to Mini's but just couldn't justify changing from an all in one unit to a processor that we would then have to spec out everything else separately. We had a hard drive go out on one of them, mine of course, the one that gets the least use as it is only used for billing and playing on the net. I had a week and a half left on the apple care program when the computer died. They gave me a brand spanking new one that is faster than a raped ape compared to my last one. All the designers and copywriters are pissed that I have the new machine.

Unless you want something where you can sit way back from the screen to watch movies, like across the room, the 24" is plenty big enough. I have a 24" and I can watch movies from my reclining office chair with no problems when the chair is reclined.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:07:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Mac Mini internal drive will be a laptop drive, roughly half the speed of a desktop drive like in the iMac.

On my MBP, I get way faster speeds using an eSATA external and eSATA expresscard.  It's supposedly faster than FW800 (lower latency mainly), but i haven't been able to check that out

now THAT's useful information.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:07:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Between the monitor, the much larger HD, the built-in Super Drive, and yes, the aesthetics, I'd say the iMac is worth the extra.[div]Yes, you can do better if money is a concern, or if you want a bigger screen.

+1

We are on our second iMac, and I am on my third Mac laptop.

If you really want to save some money, go ahead and check out the Refurbished Mac section of the Apple Store.  We bought our current iMac and my previous MacBook Pro there.  The only reason that I didn't buy my current MBP there is because Apple gave me a brand new machine after a relatively minor problem with the AirPort on my previous unit ... their customer service rocks!

does the last generation graphics card hobble me somewhat here?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB398LL/A?mco=Nzk3MTk3OA

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:18:02 AM EDT
[#11]

some good deals on the refurb laptops... what's the warranty like?
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB470?mco=Nzk2MTU1Ng

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:26:29 AM EDT
[#12]
+ 1 vote for the iMac.  It is what I have and it is quite impressive.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:32:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

some good deals on the refurb laptops... what's the warranty like?
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB470?mco=Nzk2MTU1Ng

The same AppleCare warranty that you'd get with a "new" machine.

I don't know what makes these "refurb" ... because they look freaking brand-new when they come out of the box.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:57:15 AM EDT
[#14]
My 24" IMAC was delivered on Friday and is teh coolest.

I purchased it mainly for my wife's consulting business, but damn do I want to move into it.  
I was thinking about doing the same thing b/c at heart I'm a tight ass, but i must say the all in one in Awesome.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 7:00:03 AM EDT
[#15]
What does the acronym MAC stand for?
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 7:09:41 AM EDT
[#16]
macintosh?
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 7:43:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't think MAC is an acronym.

It's like calling General MacArthur "Mac"...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top