Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2009 9:41:16 PM EDT
I have always wondered suppose someone wins big jackpot of like 100 million dollar, how do they bank it? I mean all banks only are insured up for 100,000 dollars. How does that work if i just put it in my bank and next week they go out of business, and i only get 100,000 dollars?

Just wondering how this works out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have always wondered suppose someone wins big jackpot of like 100 million dollar, how do they bank it? I mean all banks only are insured up for 100,000 dollars. How does that work if i just put it in my bank and next week they go out of business, and i only get 100,000 dollars?

have 1000 different bank accounts or just get a big ass safe
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#2]
1. The govt takes the first half, so no worries there...
2. Diversify! Lots of bank accounts, lots of brokerage accounts, buy real estate and gold and guns... Well, you'll run out before long, so dnt worry too much. Just try to save some in long-term investments so you don end up like most others... A bankrupt crack whore is generally how that ends :)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

have 1000 different bank accounts or just get a big ass safe

Yep, each account is insured up to $100 Grand.

But what I would do, is pay off all my debt, buy a couple luxuries, put half of the remainder in savings accounts, and the other half put in stocks that I know will prosper (reynolds, cerberus, etc...)

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I've always wondered that myself.  If I ever won that large of amount of woney, what the hell would I do with it.  Who do you get to help you without them trying to take advantage of you..  

It would be a little stressful, but a lot less stressful than NOT having money
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought they uped the insurance to like $250,000 as a part of TARP. Either way you got to diversify bitches.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Tupperware + shovel.

If I win 100 million I ain't worried about earning interest.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#7]
You would invest it with Bernie Madoff. Haven't you been paying attention.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#8]

FDIC guarantees up to $200,000 for each account now.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Read this.

Compliments to Arfcommer Austrian, it's a helluva read.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=749519
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#10]
It's possible to guarantee that kind of money but not easy....and anything you invest in the market in any way is at grave risk as
recent history has shown.  

Just ask Mr. McAfee founder of the software company so named.   When he sold he got more than 100 mil.
Thanks to Lehman brothers etc he is now worth a whopping 4 mil.    No guarantees you'll get to keep your money.

And even if you get it insured by Uncle Sam at the rate they are magicking money into existence who knows how
much that 100 mil will be worth in 10 years.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FDIC guarantees up to $200,000 for each account now.

Temporarily. Check the expiration date before you get too comfortable.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#12]
A large chuck would go into safety deposit boxes at different banks.  As someone said, I don't need no stinkin' interest.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#13]
you just spend it as fast as you can.  the majority of winners are bankrupt in just a couple of years
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I've always wondered that myself. If I ever won that large of amount of woney, what the hell would I do with it. Who do you get to help you without them trying to take advantage of you..

It would be a little stressful, but a lot less stressful than NOT having money

I would be really stressed out. I know of a couple people (not in my life anymore), that may come out of the woodwork just to become money-grubbing zombies.

I'd probably spread out some in several different checking accounts––one being used to pay lawyer retainer––and then probably about $10,000 or so at least as cash hidden somewhere.

Eta:

I'd probably travel the globe for a while, and move out of Bakersfield.  Maybe buy some property in Eastern Kentucky, or near the Oregon Coast.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Read this.

Thanks for the link.  I was looking for that thread.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#16]
hookers and blow

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

SIPC is 500k.

You invest it... More accurately, you HIRE someone to manage/invest it for you...

If the 'amount' is ~100M (closer to 60M after tax), that 'someone' can be pretty much any of the big names... Goldman Sachs is doing pretty damn well right now, for example...

However... MOST... Spend it on hookers 'n blow (or similar) and die broke....

Further, only an IDIOT would take the reduced 'lump sum' - the 100M lottery win is paid out as an annuity, not all at once... If you take a 'lump sum' payment, they take a huge 'bite' out of it, on top of the taxes....

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tupperware + shovel.

If I win 100 million I ain't worried about earning interest.

correct

eta: i read the link by DRhodes, and that is correct

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#19]
If you keep it all in liquid investments you are not very bright.

Diversify, diversify, diversify.

And, yes.  That even means a few percent of precious metals.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

SIPC is 500k.

You invest it... More accurately, you HIRE someone to manage/invest it for you...

If the 'amount' is ~100M (closer to 60M after tax), that 'someone' can be pretty much any of the big names... Goldman Sachs is doing pretty damn well right now, for example...

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Further, only an IDIOT would take the reduced 'lump sum' - the 100M lottery win is paid out as an annuity, not all at once... If you take a 'lump sum' payment, they take a huge 'bite' out of it, on top of the taxes....[/span]

I have to disagree.  The lump sum and investing it MY way is better than the return they would give you.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

SIPC is 500k.

Further, only an IDIOT would take the reduced 'lump sum' - the 100M lottery win is paid out as an annuity, not all at once... If you take a 'lump sum' payment, they take a huge 'bite' out of it, on top of the taxes....

half
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Only a idiot that could not manage money and want a income coming in would take it

About anyone could make more off the interest on the lump sum

how do ya think the lottery does it you think that money is there? NO they take it and get intrest on it

hell even a good saving account or a CD would beat out the extra you would get spread out over the next 20 years

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

SIPC is 500k.

If and that is a mighty big if you can count on .gov not raising the max income tax rate from it's current level to 90 odd% to pay for all the
debt they are racking up that might or might not be a reasonable choice.   You would be gambling that tax rates will not become
confiscatory.    Not a gamble I think I'd make under the current circumstances.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:08:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

SIPC is 500k.

half

And they still take almost half of your yearly annuity payments.  In the end it is nearly the same.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Read this.

wow

that was a great read.  might have to print that out in case i ever win

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SIPC is 500k.

I'm going to go with the attorney on this one, vice the anonymous internet virgin.

But hey, you do what you want to, now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

SIPC is 500k.

half

And they still take almost half of your yearly annuity payments.  In the end it is nearly the same.

I hit I'm taking lump sum , I was just stating a fact in case some didn't know.

just a side note

I know someone that hit the CT state lotto 5 1/2 million

Guy was always lucky..

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Read this.

thats a good read! I read the whole thing. I remember Andrew J. Whittaker, I read everything about him. Thats just nuts.

If i won I would sign the lottery for lump sump and anoymous, hell wont want the world to know i won 400 million or something and have them knocking at my door.

I'm gonna print it in case! like someone just said that!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

SIPC is 500k.

half

I hit I'm taking lump sum , I was just stating a fact in case some didn't know.

just a side note

I know someone that hit the CT state lotto 5 1/2 million

Guy was always lucky..

Guy I used to work with got laid off. Was always having medical problems so his attendance was poor.

Won $21 million in the lottery. Split it three ways between him (and his wife) and their two kids.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:44:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

SIPC is 500k.

All the lump sum payment is, is the initial value of the annuity they would buy to pay out the full amount over the 30 years or whatever the payout timeframe is.  There's no "bite" taken out of it.  It's far smarter to take the lump sum and have a real expert invest it for you rather than let them do it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Read this.

If I ever win the lotto, Im getting the hell out of Dodge...forever.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
All the lump sum payment is, is the initial value of the annuity they would buy to pay out the full amount over the 30 years or whatever the payout timeframe is.  There's no "bite" taken out of it.  It's far smarter to take the lump sum and have a real expert invest it for you rather than let them do it.

IIRC, the rate of return for the annuity for Mega Millions.  If you can beat 6% with a similar rate of risk (counter-party risk vs. market risk), then you are better off taking the lump sum.

To be honest, i'd probably recommend the annuity for anyone not used to preserving wealth, or otherwise financially unsophisticated.  If I won, I know a lot of people at an advisory for HNW individuals who will only work for you after a referral process and a thorough interviewing setup.  I'd probably take the lump sum and talk to some of the partners there about my best options
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Another huge thing to consider would be if the payments can be passed on to someone else if you die.

If you take the lump sum then you can beat what they make with it plus you still have the principle at the end.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Read this.

Actually its a pretty bad read...unless your white trash...in which case, read up.

The poor victims in that type up are victims of their own stupidity.  Oh shit, I should feel sorry for Whittaker for being drugged in a strip club and having a suitcase with 300K taken?  Shit, I won't say that he deserved to be robbed, but I'm not gonna feel sympathy for him.  Don't go to a fucking strip club with several hundred thousand dollars with you or you will probably get robbed, its that simple.  Shit, even fucking big time celebs don't try to stunt like that and at least they bring an entourage with them to prevent such things from happening.  The fact is that Whittaker thought he was a boss, when he was really just a target.

Whittakers story is the primary focus in every anti lottery writing I've ever read.  The reality is that hundreds of people win the lottery every year.  Wanna know why you hear Whittakers story instead of theirs?  because they know staying off the radar is key.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Read this.

Actually its a pretty bad read...unless your white trash...in which case, read up.

The poor victims in that type up are victims of their own stupidity.  Oh shit, I should feel sorry for Whittaker for being drugged in a strip club and having a suitcase with 300K taken?  Shit, I won't say that he deserved to be robbed, but I'm not gonna feel sympathy for him.  Don't go to a fucking strip club with several hundred thousand dollars with you or you will probably get robbed, its that simple.  Shit, even fucking big time celebs don't try to stunt like that and at least they bring an entourage with them to prevent such things from happening.  The fact is that Whittaker thought he was a boss, when he was really just a target.

Whittakers story is the primary focus in every anti lottery writing I've ever read.  The reality is that hundreds of people win the lottery every year.  Wanna know why you hear Whittakers story instead of theirs?  because they know staying off the radar is key.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:38:59 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd hire two separate firms to manage my investments. Tell each one to maximize my long term security by keep the investments diverse and low risk. I don't need to make huge sums of money on top of what I already have, I'd just want it to be safe and doing something.

Set aside trust funds for each child, which strict rules about when and how the money can be spent. Set aside a chunk for improving my quality of life, and use it to buy a nice chunk of land and build my bunker. Invest in combat capable robot research and slowly prepare for the inevitable robot vs zombie wars. I'm siding with skynet.

-Local
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Read this.

The poor victims in that type up are victims of their own stupidity. Oh shit, I should feel sorry for Whittaker for being drugged in a strip club and having a suitcase with 300K taken? Shit, I won't say that he deserved to be robbed, but I'm not gonna feel sympathy for him. Don't go to a fucking strip club with several hundred thousand dollars with you or you will probably get robbed, its that simple. Shit, even fucking big time celebs don't try to stunt like that and at least they bring an entourage with them to prevent such things from happening. The fact is that Whittaker thought he was a boss, when he was really just a target.

Whittakers story is the primary focus in every anti lottery writing I've ever read. The reality is that hundreds of people win the lottery every year. Wanna know why you hear Whittakers story instead of theirs? because they know staying off the radar is key.

The post indicates what you should do, and uses Whittaker as an example of what not to do. But don't let basic reading skills interrupt your vitriolic ranting.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#38]
tag
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 12:21:16 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I'd hire two separate firms to manage my investments. Tell each one to maximize my long term security by keep the investments diverse and low risk. I don't need to make huge sums of money on top of what I already have, I'd just want it to be safe and doing something.

Set aside trust funds for each child, which strict rules about when and how the money can be spent. Set aside a chunk for improving my quality of life, and use it to buy a nice chunk of land and build my bunker. Invest in combat capable robot research and slowly prepare for the inevitable robot vs zombie wars. I'm siding with skynet.

-Local
Zombies v. robots? Seriously? That's not a war, that's zombies AND robots trying to wipe out living humans.

oh shit...

zombie robots...

Just fucking great... thanks a lot, dude.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 12:32:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Hmmmm.
Anything you want to tell us?
Or is it just a coincident that you ask about Power Ball winnings the day after the drawing?
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 1:48:00 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm told that this is what you generally do with a shit-load of money:

1/3 into high return investments - stocks, stuff like that. This is risky money but can make lots as well.
1/3 into low return investments that are safe as houses - government bonds, swiss mutual funds, stuff like that. This is the money that you live off.
1/3 into gold/diamonds/etc and in a selection of the most secure safe deposit boxes that you can find. This is so that if your accountant/wife/whatever screws you and heads off to south america with your money you aren't completely screwed.

You only have bill+spending money in your bank account - no big amounts. It's vulnerable to theft (identity theft rather than bank robberies) and it's not earning.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 2:18:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Read this.

That right there is one of the best posts in the history of the internet.

Props to Austrian.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 2:25:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

SIPC is 500k.

[span style='color: red;']Further, only an IDIOT would take the reduced 'lump sum' - the 100M lottery win is paid out as an annuity, not all at once... If you take a 'lump sum' payment, they take a huge 'bite' out of it, on top of the taxes....[/span]

I have to disagree.  The lump sum and investing it MY way is better than the return they would give you.

This, and on top of that IIRC the lottery gets to keep balance owed if you kick the bucket before the payout is complete. It's dumb to take the annual payout unless you can't handle money. Actually, if that's your problem you're still better off taking the lump sum and shopping for a good annuity rate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top