Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2009 7:45:24 PM EDT
So my 90 year old Grandmother is in town staying with me for the week. Once a month she comes drives down from Sparta GA to go to her medical appointments here in Jacksonville.

Anyway I'm checking out GD and get up to let out the dog........................

and when I come back in I find this going on....................................

She's been telling me she wants a gun for around the house. She doesn't want a Glock, I've convinced her she would shoot herself with it. She also says 45 far more superior than 9mm, but for her I'm thinking more like 22.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#1]
For a woman that size, a nice .38 revolver would be good.  Don't shame her into a .22...you want her to survive, no?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Granny needs to learn the 4 rules of gun safety.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
For a woman that size, a nice .38 revolver would be good.  Don't shame her into a .22...you want her to survive, no?

I have my late Uncle's Combat Commander, she wants to take it home, but she can't even work the slide. The biggest problem is she has a bum wrist, she broke it about 2 years ago. She does great with it, but it does cause her some pain from time to time. I'm afraid that the recoil from any firearm might hurt her. I don't have a 22 pistol for her to try right now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#4]
She knows what she is doing just look at her trigger finger. I am sure this is not the first time she has held a gun.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

She never ever gets her finger close to the trigger of any firearm. That's the first thing I taught her about guns.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd say hand over your cash and the Ensure, promptly.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#7]
She looks similar to my Granny.  I miss her dearly.  Love every minute with her and as many stories as you can get her to tell.  Thew living history is much better than that coming out of censored books.
My Granny grew up in the country of NC and also could handle a rifle pretty well.
God bless you both.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Is she the one that shoots Germans in their "toodles" with an MP40?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have my late Uncle's Combat Commander, she wants to take it home, but she can't even work the slide. The biggest problem is she has a bum wrist, she broke it about 2 years ago. She does great with it, but it does cause her some pain from time to time. I'm afraid that the recoil from any firearm might hurt her. I don't have a 22 pistol for her to try right now.

Working a slide on a .45 is a lot harder than pulling the hammer back on a .38.   Apples to oranges.  Plus, if she can just pull the trigger, she doesn't have to "cock" anything.  Better to hurt your wrist briefly than die.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Watch out

She'll shoot you in the "toodles"

You've been beaten.

...and my hat still doesn't fit.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Pick up a decent, used .38 revolver for her.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
She knows what she is doing just look at her trigger finger. I am sure this is not the first time she has held a gun.

My late Uncle retired as a Chief Petty Officer from the Navy and then went to work for the Sparta GA police department where he was a Captain for many years. My 45 was his duty pistol. Years ago I watched my Grandmother shoot it, we always had guns around the house growing up. She'll tell you stories about driving the old back GA highways in Paw-Paws car (around 1930) and Paw-Paw shooting his pistol from the car. Things sure have changed.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Working a slide on a .45 is a lot harder than pulling the hammer back on a .38.   Apples to oranges.  Plus, if she can just pull the trigger, she doesn't have to "cock" anything.  Better to hurt your wrist briefly than die.  

Very good point.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Watch out

She'll shoot you in the "toodles"

You've been beaten.  

...and my hat still doesn't fit.

Not for long.

You gonna have an exchange program?  I can send you my brand new hat that came with my light, and you send me a nice big one?

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ––bullseye––:

Or find a revolver chambered for .32 H&R Magnum or .327 Federal. Both will handle .32 S&W Longs.

Not ideal, but a better solution than a .22 if a .38 Special is too much for her.

And if a .22 is the most she can handle? Well, it's better than no gun at all. And most bad guys don't want to be shot, regardless of the caliber.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Or find a revolver chambered for .32 H&R Magnum or .327 Federal. Both will handle .32 S&W Longs.

Not ideal, but a better solution than a .22 if a .38 Special is too much for her.

And if a .22 is the most she can handle? Well, it's better than no gun at all. And most bad guys don't want to be shot, regardless of the caliber.

I'm just wanting her to try a 22 first. I'd like to get her a nice airweight 38. Just point and pull the trigger is what she needs. A 32 revolver is a good idea too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

What rules are being broken here?

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just wanting her to try a 22 first. I'd like to get her a nice airweight 38. Just point and pull the trigger is what she needs. A 32 revolver is a good idea too.

Remember, as the gun gets lighter, the perceived recoil increases. I bet she could handle a small steel framed revolver.
.38 Special is a rather anemic round...the case is no where near being full of powder (the .38 Special was originally designed for black powder). Velocity is under 1000 FPS. I'm guessing she could handle most any .38 Special load (at least in emergency situations...). If you want some extra punch, .38 +P is an option (although there's going to be more recoil).

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Tell her to:
Keep this

Off of this

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Jenny did, too.

HH
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Guns... the great equalizer.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#24]

FAIL - Those old fingers aren't too straight anymore, but it is not on the trigger.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Since working the slide on an auto might be a problem for someone with a bum wrist, you might consider getting her either a Beretta Tomcat (.32 acp) or Bobcat (comes in either .22LR or .25acp). They're really the same gun either way. The cool thing about them is that the barrel flips up so the shooter can load the first round directly into the chamber if they want. No need to work the slide on the first shot. Single/double action.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_Mini_Pistols

I know a nice 83 year old lady who has a Tomcat, and she can take the nads off of a knat with it at 25 yards. I will say that she's occasionally shot guns all her life though. Not what you'd call an avid shooter, but very comfortable with guns.

I'd say your granny would do quite well with one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I was expecting a mega dupe of the mp40 video.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks like the OP forgot to log out.

I wonder what kind of crazy stuff granny was posting on arfcom. Anybody care to do a search?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Looks like the OP forgot to log out.

I wonder what kind of crazy stuff granny was posting on arfcom. Anybody care to do a search?

I'm safe there, she doesn't do good with them new fangled electronic devices.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I find it interesting you snapped a shot rather than drop or run.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I was expecting a mega dupe of the mp40 video.

Well, okay, if you insist.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB7iz1HTh9U
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top