Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2009 7:11:30 PM EDT

The definition of a "destructive device" is found in 26 U.S.C. § 5845(f). The definition reads as follows:

(1) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas, (A) bomb, (B) grenade, (C) rocket having a propellant charge of more than 4 ounces, (D) missile having an explosive charge of more than 1/4 ounce, (E) mine or (F) similar device.

So, could you, at least in theory? Minus the fact that the FBI and DOE would probably break down your door immediately if you tried this.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]
the DOE paperwork makes the NFA paperwork look like childsplay...
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck getting the CLEO to sign off on it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#3]
in
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Guess the fed regs are going to prohibit that. I know Indiana weapons regs prohibit using a WMD to cause harm or for terrorism. So if you can do it safely according to Indiana law your GTG. I'm sure the federales will be dicks about it though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you talking about fissile devices, or just dirty bombs?

I think the material necessary for either would be pretty much impossible to get, even if the NFA didn't exist.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Why don't your write a letter to the BATFE for clarification?  I would love to see the response to that one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#7]
No.

If you want to go all mad scientist and make some cool shit go look into the guy from New Zealand who was making his own cruise missile and got shut down by the NZ/US government.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#8]
No.

If you want to go all mad scientist and make some cool shit go look into the guy from New Zealand who was making his own cruise missile and got shut down by the NZ/US government.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Astral Energy lined something up back when it was the AEC governing those issues.  project Rulison and some others I believe.

Project Rulison
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#10]
You're not just dealing with the ATF, you're dealing with the DOE, IAEA, UN weapons inspectors, non-proliferation treaty clauses between the US and several other nations, possible implications with START / SALT, etc...

There would literally be enough paperwork to kill you.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Never go full retard.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#12]
you got a range that will allow that? Maybe next years finale at knob creek?
are those reloadable?

didn't some whiz kid try this a few years ago al-la that science project movie from the 80's and end up irradiating his house/shed something like that?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Can you imagine the "he had an arsenol" news article about that one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No.

Yeah, the US government is fine with you having missles with explosives, but they sure as hell don't want you putting advanced guidance systems on those same missles.  And on top of that, they don't want you putting plans for an advanced guidance system on the internet for free download.

I wish the US/NZ gov hadn't shut the guy down.  Having people in other countries independently discover your classified technology is a fact of life and the US government really needs to learn how to deal with it.  The consequence of keeping secrets is that other people will find them out and use them against you

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Better question... Can you get a V2 Rocket with a C&R license?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Actually we the people own those so if enough people got together and voted on it we could have them.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wish the US/NZ gov hadn't shut the guy down.  Having people in other countries independently discover your classified technology is a fact of life and the US government really needs to learn how to deal with it.  The consequence of keeping secrets is that other people will find them out and use them against you

So why classify anything?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not sure at what point during assembly they would become a DD, so store your nuclear cores separately.

This has been another episode of Bad Advice For Bad Ideas.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't remember the specifics...probably because of the absurd nature of the issue...but I believe there is either federal law or international treaty prohibiting the private posession of nuclear weapons.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Yeah, the US government is fine with you having missles with explosives, but they sure as hell don't want you putting advanced guidance systems on those same missles.  And on top of that, they don't want you putting plans for an advanced guidance system on the internet for free download.

to the OP, if Saddam Hussein with the entire resources of a wealthy country couldn't build a nuke, do you really think the US Govt is just going to sign off on you getting one to fart around with?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Good luck getting the CLEO to sign off on it.

I LOL'D

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I think the material necessary for either would be pretty much impossible to get, even if the NFA didn't exist.

Depends on what you use to make the bomb "dirty".    You would be surprised at how much non weapons grade
radioactive material is floating around America in various industries.  Some of it is highly lethal.   It won't go "boom"
like plutonium but when mixed nicely with ANFO or some other garden variety boom stuff will make noticeable
areas go tick tick tick on the geiger counter.    Tactically not a very usefull device but psychologically devastating to the
populace.  Although if used creatively such devices could act as an area denial weapon making strategically important
areas difficult to inhabit or make use of.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://www.radjournal.com/articles/radscout/arrested.htm

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Is everything you say completely retarded?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#25]
no.

a nuke technically implodes

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why shouldn't I be able to post how to build a cruise missile guidance system if I reverse-engineer it on my own?  And even if it is, what are you going to do when someone from another country with no strong US relations posts it on their server?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Among a myriad of other reasons....

1. Possession of fissile material
2. Any nuclear weapon still requires a conventional high explosive charge to initiate the reaction. Explosives.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, first you have to have some Libyans.

And a ready supply of used pinball machine parts.

And a bomb casing.

And a car that can do at least 90 to out run a VW Bus.  

And a kid that warns you to wear a flak-jacket 30 years ago.

In any case, nothing good comes out of it.  Except a really cool train.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why shouldn't I be able to post how to build a cruise missile guidance system if I reverse-engineer it on my own?  And even if it is, what are you going to do when someone from another country with no strong US relations posts it on their server?

If you don't like it, leave the USA and avoid New Zealand.

I'm more intrigued by the unique notion that keeping information classified causes people to find out about it and use it against us vs the odd concept that they wouldn't want to use that information agaist us if it were freely available.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

you got a range that will allow that? Maybe next years finale at knob creek?

are those reloadable?

didn't some whiz kid try this a few years ago al-la that science project movie from the 80's and end up irradiating his house/shed something like that?

Yes, but he wasn't trying to make a bomb.

http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/radscout.html/

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If you don't like it, leave the USA and avoid New Zealand.

Wow, it's pretty screwed up that if you do research on your own in the US, you can't share the information online freely.

And i'll give you that it doesn't make people more likely to use it against you.  Although at least with US cryptography rules regarding import/export, it puts US citizens at a disadvantage vs the rest of the world as far as encryption available, and US coders cannot legally contribute to open source cryptography projects, which is bullshit.

If no money is changing hands, it's speech, not trade, and the government loses the ability to regulate it IMO
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#32]
While I would love to think that this is possible you would probably get in big trouble.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:34:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Among a myriad of other reasons....

1. Possession of fissile material

2. Any nuclear weapon still requires a conventional high explosive charge to initiate the reaction. Explosives.

Gun weapons don't require HE!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top