Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2009 6:52:54 PM EDT
In my town on the anniversary of 9/11 the school superintendent would not allow the children+school employees to observe a moment of silence to remember and honor those who died. Please
if you disagree please sign this petition.
––-
To: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]
Sent: Sun, Sep 20, 2009 7:33 am
Subject: 9/11 Moment of Silence Removed from East Islip Elementary Schools

Dear PTA Presidents:
As you are probably aware, Superintendent Mr. Wendell Chu, decided to remove a moment of silence in memory of 9/11 from our elementary schools. This was done on the 8th anniversary, with no advance notice to the community.
This is cowardly, insensitive and un-American.
This e-mail is geared toward the PTA Presidents of our district.  I am asking for your help and for you to take a stance on how we remember 9/11 in the future.
Please read the following petition:  http://www.petitiononline.com/2242010/ .  If you agree with it, put your name on it and forward it to as many people, in and out of our community as possible. This type of abuse from administrators needs to stop, and as PTA Presidents I would hope that you feel the same way.
If you do not agree with it, I would like to hear your thoughts.
I first contacted Mr. Wendell Chu on 9/14/09. We had e-mail communications through  9/17/09. I requested an apology to our district and I respectfully requested that he change the way we honor 9/11 in the future. I asked him to save our community from the embarrassment that would sure follow if he did not respond. He chose to ignore my r equests. As a result, this issue is now up for debate, like it or not.
I honestly feel that my son was violated on 9/11/09. I sent him to school, not knowing that he would not have a moment to pause and reflect.  We did honor 9/11 that night, at a candle light vigil at Lakeland Fire House. They have a beautiful memorial set up and we attend this memorial every year. But on the 8th Anniversary of these attacks my son was probably sitting in class, unaware of the importance of the moment.
I have yet to hear from a teacher or administrator that they do not agree with Mr. Chu. Again, I find this disgraceful. I am upset at the principals for not fighting Mr. Chu on this. And I am upset that I was not notified prior to 9/11/09. Shame on our district and shame on anyone who chose to not take a stand.
Some of your names are already on this petition. I applaud you for signing. Thank You!
Sincerely,
Peter J. Carino

Please forward this e-mail to RCK's PTA President Rita Barreto. Her e-mail [email protected] is not accepting e-mails. Perhaps she switched to another service. Thank you.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
My district is a few towns over from yours and they did nothing to recognize the anniversary of 9/11 either. They did, however, stop class and work in all of the schools and administrative buildings in the district to watch the inauguration and then again to listen to Obama preach to school kids. We, my district and yours, are located less than an hour away from ground zero, we in both districts have co-workers, family and friends who died that day, I could see the smoke from the towers from my home, and yet an appalling number of elementary school children here on Long Island do not even know what happened that day. I am too enraged to find appropriate words to describe how wrong this is.

Thank you for bringing attention to Mr. Chu's actions.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't see how this is cowardly, insensitve and unAmerican.
I'd be happy if they'd teach the kids about Pearl Harbor and other historical events instead of PC bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, you may want to edit the post to remove those email addresses.

Also, the district my wife teaches in, they did have a moment of silence and did NOT halt classes/work for The One's speech to the kids.   That guy needs to have his head examined.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top