Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2009 4:38:53 PM EDT
....wife is looking at buying a very nice looking 07 Forester....am looking for input from the well of knowledge here. Let's hear opinions.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know anything about Foresters, but Outbacks are like glue on the road.  Better than my 4x4 for getting through snow.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
She is seeing another woman.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#3]
We loved ours (98).  Needed to upsize, so we went with a Honda Pilot.  The subie is still running with Grandma.  

Our next car will be a an Outback or Forrester.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Got one, hate it.  Too small for driver/passenger, just big enough to do normal grocery getting in back, large appliances are a major hassle, lumber, screw it.

Not a big fan of the transmission either, pretty clunky.

I think it is popular among small people who don't haul much of anything.  The back bumper is at a good height for loading and unloading, but other than that, I'd rather have a light truck.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#6]
They work great for having sex in the back since the rear seats fold down.  Beyond that I wouldn't know much about the car.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#7]
theres a clean 07 forrester ––white looks sharp at my local dealer cut thru there tonight and stopped and checked it out.

simple basic model, 5 speed for 16,999

not sure if thats a good price but may give you a data point.

mom has a 2000 outback with 170,000 miles going strong she loves it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#8]
here's my thread from today asking about the awd systems

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=930167

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#9]
The 09 body style is a nice redesign.   HUGE head room, great transition squarely into crossover territory from "big hatchback" land.

I love mine.   Take it up the mountains all the time.   I wish they'd release the dual range 4 wheel drive stateside, but we'll never get it here because of the liability.

You can pick up a basically equipped 2009 normally aspirated model for about 19.5.   I got the stick shift version myself.   Only negative comment I have is that the factory stereo sucks.   But then again, factory stereo.  

ETA:

Here's an example of what my 2009 looks like:

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Keep the comments going......except for you homo's with the lesbo comments. She may read this thread and I do not want her learning more of this Lesbianism you speak of.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#12]
By far the best vehicle I ever owned.

Rated the safest small SUV several years running.

Reliable.

What is not to like?

If I didn't trade mine in on a minivan, (needed more room for gear), I would still have it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I own a Subaru STi and a Forester XT.  The Forester is our long distance car, its way more comfortable road wise and in the snow, I drive through big snow with no issues. We actually traded a jeep wrangler for the Forester and never looked back. Forester goes faster, uses less fuel and it doesnt jiggle my fat PLUS the seat belts fit without any issues unlike the jeep.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
By far the best vehicle I ever owned.

Rated the safest small SUV several years running.

Reliable.

What is not to like?

If I didn't trade mine in on a minivan, (needed more room for gear), I would still have it.

The safety thing is a big deal.

A friend told me that they got special training in emergency response for the last few years of Subaru Outback and Forester models... the pillar between the passenger and drivers door has like  5 layers and a big fucking piece of steel bar in it, and it BREAKS the jaws of life....   right after it saves the vehicle's occupants from T-Bone wrecks that kill everyone else.

Wait... here, google was my friend:

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a 2001 with 158,000 + miles and it runs great.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#16]
This is the Forester I would get if you can. Forester XT Sport.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

QFT!

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#18]
One of the few times I was flipped off while driving was by a lesbo driving a Subaru.
Thats all I got.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#19]
my wife loves her '09.  they are much more attractive after the body style change
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#20]
We have the truck part already covered,gonna dump an 07 GM Impala, the damn thing is a money hole bitch. I looked at the safety ratings and like them and the AWD is a plus in the Iowa snow. Think I will buy it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#21]
My wife has a 2004 Forester.  Can't say enough good about it.  It's built for bad weather.  Heated seats, heated mirrors, heaters where the wipers rest so ice doesn't build up on them and as was said earlier, the AWD sticks to the road.  It runs rings around my Acura RSX Type S if there's rain or snow.  It's just big enough for us and the two boys.  The only complaint we have is that the back seat isn't big enough for a third car seat and would probably be a little cozy for 3 adults.  When we do get a new car, it will probably be an Outback (or a WRX, if I get mine first )
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a 2004XT, five years with no problems whatsoever.  I live where is snows for real and I live out in the sticks.  I've never got stuck and made it to work in 15 inches of snow.  It is faster 0-60 than a Porsche Boxster and fits four guys.  If it is to small for you, it is because you are a fat slob.  I am 6'3", 250 and have plenty of headroom and legroom.  The back seats don't have long trip legroom for adults.  

Unlike most garbage from GM, Subies are made to last 300K miles if maintained properly.  Unlike 99% of American car dealers, my Subie dealer has bent over backwards to make it right.  The only breakage was carpets had issues and they replaced it free after the warranty expired.  My last new Ford was delivered damaged and the dealer actually refused to fix it. They said, since the car was paid for, it was not their problem.  It took a nasty phone call to the owner of the dealership to get some action.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#23]
You'll see a lot of subarus anywhere there is a lot of snow, and especially anywhere there is twisty roads, mountains and snow.    You'll also see a lot of two-subaru familes.  It says something...

I've owned an Outback for 4 years now.  Its not perfect.  Its had an expensive brake job on my dime, some engine gaskets replaced at subaru's cost.  Also had a cruise control module go awol, also under warranty.  W few other little glitches.  As I said, it aint perfect.  My wife's toyota Corolla has been a little more trouble free.

However, nothing beats it in snow and ice.  Equipped with a good snow tire this thing is very surefooted when everything else is skidding to hell.   It easily beats any truck or other "4x4" I've tried.  

Even though its had some hiccups and little problems I will very likely immediately replace my outback with another one based entirely on its handling characteristics.  It's also got fantastic gorund clearance (for a car) and respectable towing (again, for a car).    Mine is a 2.5L 4 cylinder.  In the auto tranny model its severely underpowered and a real dog.  In manual tranny its satisfactory.  I'm getting a tad over 30 mpg highway, and a combined 27.6 mpg average.

I'm happy with it.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Get her the car then insist on doing both of the lesbians.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

All joking aside, I had an Outback for many years (a family member now has it with over 200k miles.)  The clutch lasted 195k.  Great in snow.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#26]
No personal experience with 'em, but have heard that the boxer engine is a bitch to work on.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I have an 08 turbo forester, it has been great so far.  I like its styling better than the 09's myself.  I also test drove the 09' and unfortunately that one had a 4 cylinder which was obviously anemic compared to the 08 turbo so I couldn't make a good comparison there.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

No personal experience with 'em, but have heard that the boxer engine is a bitch to work on.

Pretty damn simple actually.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Still driving my '01 Forester.  Love it.  It grips so well in ice and snow, that when you get in a different brand car, you find yourself sliding all over the place!  Great cars.

A few things to be aware of.

-The soldering on the clock is poorly done.  When it fails (and it will), pull it out, get a soldering iron, and resolder the 4 obvious places - better than new.  
-The rear window wiper is positioned where there is a vacuum from the road.  It will suck ice and salt into the motor, and after 5 years or so will burn out the motor.
-Cup holder design is a total afterthought.  
-The mechanical engine, drive train, wheels, and everything that counts holds up extremely well.  I'm over 100k miles now, and have only put in maybe a couple thousand dollars of cumulative maintenance costs on the car.  Maybe.
-The opposing cylinders and in-line design mean there are no weird torques or strange forces like almost every other car out there.  Couple with the all-wheel drive, it's one of the smoothest, straightest, and surest accelerations you'll ever experience.  I can't fathom why everyone else does not design their engine/drive trains this way.
-I dig the in-window antenna, no mechanical antenna to forget about when you go to the wash.
-Mileage sucks for a car of this size - expect only about 25 MPG.  It's the AWD
-Cargo space in the back is plenty ample for a loadout for the range or even a match.  
-Short haired women in comfortable shoes will find you sexy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Get the XT, you won't be sorry. It is a total sleeper car.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 7:00:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have an 08 turbo forester, it has been great so far.  I like its styling better than the 09's myself.  I also test drove the 09' and unfortunately that one had a 4 cylinder which was obviously anemic compared to the 08 turbo so I couldn't make a good comparison there.

The performance of the normally aspirated engine isn't that bad, at least with a 5 speed stick like I got.

The problem with the turbos is that you must feed the cars top-notch premium fuel.  Subaru isn't terrible so far as Turbo lag, but frankly, if you want sports car performance the AWD crossover realm is not where you ought to be anyway.   Peppy performance can be had in a dozen other vehicles.   Subarus are still a LOT better than my 1979 GL Wagon I drove  in high school, which had to be shifted into 3rd gear on large hills on the interstate!

My old  '79 Roo was just like this one,  only I had painted it dark red.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfjoYtO3Evw

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#33]
We have a 07 forester.  Great car especially when conditions are bad.

Trouble free.

The rear seats fold down flat with the cargo bay, and the front of the folded seat is level with the center arm rest.  Perfect for our GSD to wedge in and not have to reach for leverage on those corners.

Bad Thing:  The outside ambient air temperature gage only goes down to -35 or so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top