Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2009 3:35:02 PM EDT
It is a fully online class. The problem is on Sundays he requires that we take a quiz. The time frame for the quiz is 7:30 pm - 11:30 pm.

He said there is no excuses to not take it and not be available during that time frame.

Now what if I work sunday nights from 5pm till midnight?

Some people were complaining and the only retort was "drop the class". But due to budget cuts its not that easy to just drop the class and get another one (as all classes are full).

And on top of this, the teacher was changed on us. When we registered for class it was with another one and this one was the teacher which they switched on us.

Do I have a legitimate complaint?

I dont understand why he cant make the quizzes available at other time frames as well and why it has to be exactly on Sunday at those times.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Go above his/her head to the Dean/Chairperson of the dept. and ask about being able to change it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#2]
you are the whineyest person I have EVER seen on here.  

Fucking man up and accept shit for what it is.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#3]
if today is the Sunday you are asking about, it is too late to do anything about it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It is a fully online class. The problem is on Sundays he requires that we take a quiz. The time frame for the quiz is 7:30 pm - 11:30 pm.

He said there is no excuses to not take it and not be available during that time frame.

Some people were complaining and the only retort was "drop the class". But due to budget cuts its not that easy to just drop the class and get another one (as all classes are full).

And on top of this, the teacher was changed on us. When we registered for class it was with another one and this one was the teacher which they switched on us.

I dont understand why he cant make the quizzes available at other time frames as well and why it has to be exactly on Sunday at those times.

Strange all of the online classes I have ever taken had a 24 hour midnight to midnight test window.  
I do 12 hour shifts.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#5]
piss in his coffee and leave an anonymous letter stating that if he doesn't change his policy, he can expect many showers of gold where that came from.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Strange all of the online classes I have ever taken had a 24 hour midnight to midnight test window.  

I do 12 hour shifts.  

I've had some where you had a certain window timeline as well....on a Sunday night, like whey.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it even possible to fail an ONLINE fucking quiz?

I mean, you would have to really WORK at failing it.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Thats bullshit. An online class is set up so that people like you who work real jobs can get their education

Id say go to the dean, or whoever else is in charge of the department

I dont know what class it is, but if its important enough, talk to your boss and try and work in an hour or so that you can take the quiz

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#9]
If the terms and times required were posted and available when you signed on for the class you
have no reason to whine.  If he changes the rule midstream you might have cause to bitch.

But like free will employment profs in a college class have a fair amount of leeway in how they
deal with their students.  Unless he violates a law or does something in direct contradiction to prior
posted guidelines of his class he's pretty much on safe ground.

You can ask the dean of his department if you have options but don't hold your breathe.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Well a lot of people have complained to the Professor and he just ignored it and didnt say anything.  Other students responded with "you saw the syllabus just drop the class then".  (not to me cause I would have caused a shit storm back)

I just think its ridiculous how you have such a small time frame.  On top of that, yea someone could have saw this on the syllabus and dropped it.  Even though you wouldnt be able to get into another class this semester you could try for next semester.  But whose to say that the school would not pull the same thing and switch Professors on you at the last second like they did here.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If the terms and times required were posted and available when you signed on for the class you
have no reason to whine.  If he changes the rule midstream you might have cause to bitch.

But like free will employment profs in a college class have a fair amount of leeway in how they
deal with their students.  Unless he violates a law or does something in direct contradiction to prior
posted guidelines of his class he's pretty much on safe ground.

You can ask the dean of his department if you have options but don't hold your breathe.

They were not available UNTIL you were already signed up.  They did not inform you of this.  And on top of that like I said the Professor was changed on the first day of class.

This guy has no lee way.  He said he will not even answer questions regarding homework on the day they are due.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What does this have to do with anything??  

Have you ever taken an online quiz?  I bet I can give you some of these quizzes and you would fail them.  Especially when you have less than 30 seconds to answer each question but that is another topic.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#13]
All the online college classes I ever took typically had a one week window for tests and quizzes. That's supposed to be one of the main advantages of an online class, being able to do it on your schedule. Do what you are supposed to now and send in a complaint to the department head. I had a math class one time with a horrible professor, everyone in the class was failing except for one girl who had a C, we all went to the head of the math department and they wound up awarding everyone still in the class a B as a final course grade just so everyone would get on with their lives and quit bitching about it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Talk to the dean, and get all the other students with this problem to talk to the dean as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thats bullshit. An online class is set up so that people like you who work real jobs can get their education

Id say go to the dean, or whoever else is in charge of the department

I dont know what class it is, but if its important enough, talk to your boss and try and work in an hour or so that you can take the quiz

Or get your phone rigged up to where you can feed internet from your phone to a lap-top and take the test at work.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Part of your college education is learning life is not fair and you have to make adjustments.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#17]
It's an online class.  You're supposed to have someone smarter than you earn the credits for you!  What are you trying to do anyway?  Earn your degree legitimately?

I have a B.S. degree from H.K.U.  In english, it's Bullshit degree from Hard Knock University.  Go print yourself your own HKU or (UHK) certificate and post it on your wall.  BTW, the only degree that counts is 98.6.  All others are paper.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Part of your college education is learning life is not fair and you have to make adjustments.

+1
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Had a class that was exactly the same way except we had to start at a certain time, period.  It ran from 8-10 on sunday nights and was timed.  At 10 it would stop you wherever you were at and the test was over.  Worst online class I ever had.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Another part of a college education and life should be learning how to game the system and make things work to your advantage, not just bending over and taking it quietly because "life isn't fair".

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You're fucking posting on ARFCOM, just take the damn quiz and stop complaining...
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

/thread

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Lol, wat?  Most of my hardest quizzes have been in online courses.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Email the professor and CC the chair of the department. Tell them you are taking online classes so you can work around your work schedule, you will not drop the class, you are paying the bill and this needs to change pretty damn quick.
It always amazes me that professors will do things like create and attendance policy that says after 2 missed classes you fail, yet they don't show up 4 times. You are paying for a service, remember that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I forget... are you the kettle, or the pot?

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow... I took classes where you actually had to like...you know....be there. The quizes and tests were actually scheduled in a 1 or 2 hour time slot and you were actually expected to be there. The humanity.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're fucking posting on ARFCOM, just take the damn quiz and stop complaining...

What he said.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Not all online classes are the run the same way.  This one is run the way the instructor wants.  Either STFU and take it the way he wants to deliver it, or STFU and drop it.  Nobody is going to force him to run his class any differently just because you don't like the format.

Not trying to be a dick, but that's the way it is.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I forget... are you the kettle, or the pot?

LOL! OH SNAP!!!

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Wow... I took classes where you actually had to like...you know....be there. The quizes and tests were actually scheduled in a 1 or 2 hour time slot and you were actually expected to be there. The humanity.

Wow...not everyone can...you know...be at class everyday....due to...you know...work or a life.  Online classes != campus class, for a reason.

By the way, you misspelled quizzes.  I guess you weren't an English/Lit. major.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Like others have said, go above his head and talk to the department chair.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I noticed that you posted this at 7:35 on a Sunday night.  I would think that if you had time to post on arfcom on sundays within the quiz window, then you have time and internet access to complete the assignment.

More seriously, the answer to your question is yes a professor is generally allowed to set the conditions for assignments and quizzes. As others have said, if the syllabus indicated that this was even a possibility, then it was your choice to stay in the class.  This is the way college works.

No dean worth the title would force a faculty member to change his syllabus to suite a student's work schedule.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Nah...I went into medicine so I didn't have to learn to spell . I was joking but I did work full time when I went to school. I'm not sure what online classes are all about or what the rules are. Sorry for being a dick.

BTW I had some professors that were total ball busters and if you missed more than a few classes it was a grade drop or a fail. I had a social life and a full time job so sometimes my ass was draggin in class. Life's never got any easier after college either.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Yes he can. Itsucks,he sucks,your fucked,deal with it.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#35]
what waldo said, grow a set, CC everyone, what are gonna do, take your computer away from you?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

never mind...misread PM as AM...
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Do you honestly have to work from 5pm til midnight? If so send him something that backs up your claim, have him call your employer. That shit is BS, he can open the quiz any time he wants to.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thats cool, I never had to take any quizes..

I take quizzes, maybe you should have paid a little more attention.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah...I went into medicine so I didn't have to learn to spell . I was joking but I did work full time when I went to school. I'm not sure what online classes are all about or what the rules are. Sorry for being a dick.

BTW I had some professors that were total ball busters and if you missed more than a few classes it was a grade drop or a fail. I had a social life and a full time job so sometimes my ass was draggin in class. Life's never got any easier after college either.

In the 4 colleges/universities I've been to, I hadn't had any professors do the "miss X classes, you drop a grade" bullshit until my last school, that's a public university, last year.  It's considered a "party school" and some of the departments have different grade steps because some majors are considered easier than others.  I even went to a semi-private school for a year and we never had any kind of bullshit like that.

I'm not sure why this school is any different than the other 2 colleges/universities I went to but I was taken aback at some of their policies that I hadn't seen in the previous 3.  I guess the teachers there think they have something to prove because of the school's reputation and they want to crack down on students or some stupid bullshit like that.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top