Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2009 3:08:30 PM EDT
It is a very debated and known subjects for topics in any gun forum over the entire planet.

Here in Italy when you start the topic like "I just bought my new Bushy, now I  can mount this an this on it ..." the thread goes on and on in asking pics, or about the choices that the user has done.

Being a professional writer about professionals, and having been a professional myself in a era when the black rifle was not issued to my unit, I rather prefer to make adds on on my Oly only when I really need or when I want to test something and put myself in the same conditions of the operators that should use the same accessory.

My impression is that most of the stuff on the market is not for professionals, but only to satisfy the civilian market buyers that want to put something cool on their AR, having no idea how that thing would behave on the real field.

Everytime I heard names of companies and a pletora of models for stocks, slings, BUIS, rails and so on, I check pics I can get from 'Stan or the Sandbox and I see that both ordinary "grunts" or even the Delta guys tends to:

- not overload their M4s with too much stuff. And this has a sense since it is a lot of weight you have to drag for hours or DAYS.
- to be rather standard in the choice of their adds on: stocks, slings, front grips, BUIS, Front handguards, are always the same, the old one issued by Uncle Sam.

I'd like to know if you had the same impression and an opinion from who was in the battlefield.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep. I used to be all mall ninja and shit, but now I have a VFG, a light and an optic. Thats it. Maybe a QD bipod if I'm zeroing in.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yep. I used to be all mall ninja and shit, but now I have a VFG, a light and an optic. Thats it. Maybe a QD bipod if I'm zeroing in.

totally agree, I don't get taken in by fads and cool-aid anymore. It was fun in the begining, but all the hysteria around here ruined the fun, it became bitter - "mine v yours" and so on.

And don't get me started on that stupid foofing "chart" my god, you can go to war over that thing.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Send me some lasagna and I'll tell you what I use.

Rifle
Optic
plenty of ammo
VFG
NV gear

travel lite and fast
kill everything possible
get out
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah,  simple is the way to go.   Mount what you need NOW,  carry what you will need before you return home.

M4...nothing but a detachable carry handle.

A2:  Nothing. But it is my most accurate rifle at mid distances and by rights I should turn it into an A4 so I can get a better scope mounting solution.

Mark 12 Mod 1:  Scope,  bipod,  and that's it for now.    Can coming soon.  Lots of rail estate,  minimally used.

CJ

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#5]
A very good way of determining what is a "want" and what is a "need" is to try and carry your rifle on a 15k hike with about 80lbs of other crap strapped to your back. The tendency will be to go for lighter and more functional.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Just because it gets issued by Uncle Sam doesn't mean it's the greatest or what fits for every situation. Also, a lot of the military doesn't have a wide choice about what options for who makes their gear or they just take what is issued and use it without knowing there are better options. Not everybody who is a door kicker is a gun guy.

ETA:

My impression is that most of the stuff on the market is not for professionals, but only to satisfy the civilian market buyers that want to put something cool on their AR, having no idea how that thing would behave on the real field.

I disagree. Most of the name brand manufacturers gear that we commonly refer to as "gucci gear" is well built enough to withstand that kind of environment. Now if you're talking about the shit you get from Tapco or CTD, then yeah that's not going to hold up well. But take for instance the ARMs mount for the M68 that is standard issue. While some people swear by them, other brands work just as well or better like Larue. As more of these products hit the market, you will slowly start to see them show up on soldier's weapons.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It is a very debated and known subjects for topics in any gun forum over the entire planet.

Here in Italy when you start the topic like "I just bought my new Bushy, now I can mount this an this on it ..." the thread goes on and on in asking pics, or about the choices that the user has done.

Being a professional writer about professional, and having been a professional myself in a era when the black rifle was not issued to my unit, I rather prefer to make adds on on my Oly only when I really need or when I want to test something and put myself in the same conditions of the operators that should use the same accessory.

Everytime I heard names of companies and a pletora of models for stocks, slings, BUIS, rails and so on, I check pics I can get from 'Stan or the Sandbox and I see that both ordinary "grunts" or even the Delta guys tends to:

- not overload their M4s with too much stuff. And this has a sense since it is a lot of weight you have to drag for hours or DAYS.

- to be rather standard in the choice of their adds on: stocks, slings, front grips, BUIS, Front handguards, are always the same, the old one issued by Uncle Sam.

I'd like to know if you had the same impression and an opinion from who was in the battlefield.

I agree.  The Mr PotatoHead ease in which one can attatch shit to the modern rifle only exacerbates the situation.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:05:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Process when I get any new rifle/shotgun

Take it all apart
Put it all back together
Repeat a few times

When I get a new AR
Take carry handle off
Take handguards off
Take stock & tube off
Take front sight off
Install LaRue quad rail
Reinstall front sight post
Install Magpul ASAP sling mount
Reinstall stock and tube
Add BUIS
Add EOTech
Add VFG
Add light

Done.

Oh, and get Pmags and lots of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I see the appeal for new shooters who think it looks cool and dont know any better

I use a Saiga .223 with nothing but a light, ergo pistol grip, and sometimes a VFG, but usually not.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Everybody needs one of the FAB Defense UTA-19, Glock VFG adapter.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Aimpoint, Surefire, BUIS, sling.
I don't have to carry my stuff for miles, so I really don't care what guys who do have to carry their stuff for miles do –– has nothing to do with my requirements.  If I ever need to carry my stuff for miles, I can always take stuff off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top