Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2009 2:06:15 PM EDT
My identical twin granddaughters are 7 weeks old.  They were born 7 weeks premature.  They're about 7 pounds.

Yesterday evening my son-in-law was carrying one down the steps, slipped, landed on his ass, and the baby bounced out of his grasp and landed on a rug-covered concrete floor.

Fractured skull, and a CAT scan and overnight stay in the hospital, but home now and doing okay.

Son of a bitch, it's the THIRD FUCKING TIME he's fallen on the stairs –– how about being careful there, sport, especially when you're CARRYING A BABY.  (He wasn't drunk or on drugs –– my wife was right there –– he's just a retard when it comes to stairs, apparently.)  He feels terrible, but –– HEY, DAD, LISTEN UP –– "Sorry"  does not quite make a baby's fractured skull better.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Is your son-in-law too fucking stupid to use stairs?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I hate hearing about children getting hurt like that. Hope she doesn't have any complications or anything.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, very sorry to hear that.

I hope everybody recovers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My identical twin granddaughters are 7 weeks old.  They were born 7 weeks premature.  They're about 7 pounds.

Yesterday evening my son-in-law was carrying one down the steps, slipped, landed on his ass, and the baby bounced out of his grasp and landed on a rug-covered concrete floor.

Fractured skull, and a CAT scan and overnight stay in the hospital, but home now and doing okay.

Son of a bitch, it's the THIRD FUCKING TIME he's fallen on the stairs –– how about being careful there, sport, especially when you're CARRYING A BABY.  (He wasn't drunk or on drugs –– my wife was right there –– he's just a retard when it comes to stairs, apparently.)  He feels terrible, but –– HEY, DAD, LISTEN UP –– "Sorry"  does not quite make a baby's fractured skull better.

Sounds like a freakin MORON!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#5]
We often times look at children like they're prized China but they can surprise even the best in the medical profession with their resilience.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn man...  I ALWAYS pay more attention to what I am doing when I have my new daughter in my hands....
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#7]
sounds like he needs to pay fucking attention to what he is doing! hope baby is ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Her either needs to install a hand rail or he needs to use the one that is there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is your son-in-law too fucking stupid to NOT use stairs?

Seems like he might be really clumsy, or might have a problem with balance, or vertigo.

In any case, if he can't do it, he shouldn't try it.  Let someone else carry the babies.

That said, I really feel for the guy.  You know he's gotta be cursing himself over it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#10]

I do hope she recovers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#11]
holy shit!!! i hope their isn't longterm effects from your dumbass SIL mistakes
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Does he fail in other areas of life too?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Hope everyone recovers quickly!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow, 2 sons and I never dropped either.

Best wishes sent your way.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:22:38 PM EDT
[#15]
This will merit an investigation by CPS.  Count on it.  They get dozens of stories like this every week and many of them turn out to be abuse caused rather than accidental.  I hope this was legitimately an accident, but regardless –– his life is about to become a lot more open to scrutiny really soon.

Ed
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is your son-in-law too fucking stupid to NOT use stairs?

Seems like he might be really clumsy, or might have a problem with balance, or vertigo.

In any case, if he can't do it, he shouldn't try it.  Let someone else carry the babies.

That said, I really feel for the guy.  You know he's gotta be cursing himself over it.

A short flight of well-lit carpeted stairs with a handrail.  He wipes out going down in his socks.

My wife said that when the doctor said "skull fracture" my SIL visibly withered.  I do have some compassion for him, because I know how he feels about his girls.  But I'd have a hard time with anger if this ever recurred (falling down the steps holding a child).
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#17]
ETA: My apologies.  I misread.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

3 times he has fallen on the stairs with a baby in his hands or 3 times he has fallen on the stairs, one of which was with a baby in his hands? If its 3 w/baby FUCKING DIPSHIT doesn't even begin to describe him.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This will merit an investigation by CPS.  Count on it.  They get dozens of stories like this every week and many of them turn out to be abuse caused rather than accidental.  I hope this was legitimately an accident, but regardless –– his life is about to become a lot more open to scrutiny really soon.

Ed

I'm thinking this.

I'm guessing that the THIRD time a parent drops a baby, CPS gets a phone call from the ER staff.

I should be very  clear:  This is the third time Mr. Balance has wiped out on the stairs, only the first time while holding a baby.

It was clearly an accident.  My wife was downstairs and heard him fall (he's a big boy), and was right there immediately.

ETA:  saw your edit.  I'll leave this to prevent misreading by others.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#20]
hope all turns out okay
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I bet if you went over there and cracked his skull he would not be falling down those stairs anymore.

What a dumbass.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey Grampa, go build numbnuts a ramp because he's obviously handicapped.

eta Sorry to hear about the child. Hope she recovers soon. (I know she will, kids are tough).
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#23]
3 times he has fallen?

1) remove carpet

2) vacuum and clean surface

3) http://www.noskidding.com/antisliptape.html

4) Profit!

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am pretty sure we have all wiped on on the stairs at least three times in our life....

No not really i haven't even once. always lived in 2 floor houses too.

that guy is
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#26]
As a new dad, I'm fucking scared of doing the same thing...

Hey, if he feels bad, what more do you fuckin want?  Him to shoot himself over it?

God damn, he probably feels worse now than you guys can imagine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#27]
So how many bones did he fracture/break preventing the baby from receiving worse injury?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

He either needs to install a hand rail or he needs to use the one that is there.

This, times a bazillion. Damnation!

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I slipped on carpeted stairs while in socks once.  I was in a hurry and just didn't step right.  I have never done it since, as I learned my lesson.  And I could never imagine going down stairs in a hurry while holding a baby.  I'd be careful as hell.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:03:09 PM EDT
[#31]
My dad droped both me and my brother in the stairs. At least I turned out fine

Here's a picture of me:

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Falling is understandable,letting go of newborn is not!

Hes not only a Klutz,hes a pussy!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#33]
EH, cut the guy some slack.

He obviously did not do it on purpose, and I betcha he wont do it again.

SHitty, but nobody is perfect.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Tell him to scoot down each step on his ass next time, cripple style.

I don't think he has the coordination to handle a flight of stairs.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#36]
wait till he gets all the bills he wont do it again.trust me and if he does ,find a replacement for this dud .
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Obviously,I don't know anything about this scenario, except what you have just posted.  But, from the info you have presented.......the guy is a fucking imbecile.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#38]
prayers going up for the babies, as well as the parents...

and for SIL - no shoes, no stairs.  I'm sure he feels just awful, but that doesn't heal his daughter.

if I'd EVER fallen down the stairs, there's no way I'd carry my baby down in sock feet.  hopefully, the baby heals just fine, he forgives himself, and the Mama forgives him.  this is a rough time for all of you, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
When my wife was pregnant, I actually practiced falling until I had mastered twisting my body so that I'd usually be able to put my body between the baby and the ground.

thats a good idea

hell,  if i fell i would rather break and arm or leg to hurt a baby

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Falling is understandable,letting go of newborn is not!

Hes not only a Klutz,hes a pussy!

+1

If your holding a baby you sacrifice yourself to keep them from hitting the ground.  He needs to get his shit squared away and quit being in a hurry.

Prayers for your family.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top