Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2009 1:58:26 PM EDT
Was browsing gun broker and ended up linking over to a consignment website.  Out of curiosity i checked some of the items that were sold by the store.  
The last item infuriated me.  I showed my wife and she just shook her head.
What ever happened to keeping items for the sake of family history
The last item on the bottom of the page is what I am talking about

stupid whore

I found this : 1913-1917

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:22:38 PM EDT
[#1]

A lot of people just don't seem to care anymore.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#2]
maybe an "its all about me" attitude

maybe drugs

maybe a broken family

Shows why strong families are important
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Having played the gun retail game, I can say it always disgusted me to deal with someone who was out to sell their father's or grandfather's bones for fun money.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Some people are lucky to have pieces like that to pass down.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Some people dont want to hold on to something with no meaning.

Love how everyone judges here.

Maybe he slid under her sheets once in the night, Maybe mom

told her a story of him doing it to her.

maybe he was a dickhead.

Maybe the only way they could pay a big bill was to sell shit.

Who are you to sit there and say what a shit she is?

You people are all bible thumping and chest beating and you come in with a thread like this.

Amazing
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

maybe he was a dickhead.

You people are all bible thumping and chest beating and you come in with a thread like this.

Amazing

could be this but the way you said it sounded too personal
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Dont forget this one on that same page

Our client’s dad was a flier in WWII and wore this during the war.  It sat in the attic for over 60 years.  We were able to get $227 for it
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

maybe he was a dickhead.

Amazing

you're all over the place with these little gems today, aren't ya?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Seriously? We are a nation that warehouses our parents in retirement homes to die, only visiting them on their birthdays and Christmas and when want to insure our place in the will.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

maybe he was a dickhead.

Amazing

could be this but the way you said it sounded too personal

Not personal at all.

All my stuff I wanted to keep I did.

I have no need to sell anything as I have money I will never spend.

I just think it is funny about people here whining about shit they have no idea why they are doing it.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

maybe he was a dickhead.

Amazing

you're all over the place with these little gems today, aren't ya?

Links to other threads?????

ETA: Hello?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#12]
More than just the last one bothered me.  This one really stuck in my craw:

Our client’s dad was a flier in WWII and wore this during the war.  It
sat in the attic for over 60 years.  We were able to get $227 for it

This one kind of bugged me, but not as much as the other two:

Our customer found this bottle of dry fly treatment in her father’s old
fishing gear and thought it might be of interest to someone. It was -
$104.

But yeah, the badges.  Wow.

I think that part of the problem with the country is we care nothing for our heritage and have no sense of history.  Nothing connects us to our past anymore.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I made sure I got my father's Police Commissioner badge before anyone had the chance to throw it away.

I cherish it in my gunsafe.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#14]
It is well known at work that I am heavily into guns.

I had a guy approach me, years ago, and wanted to know if I wanted to buy some pistols he had. Let me preface this by saying that this guy is very intelligent, highly motivated, very responsible, conservative, educated: I really admire the guy.  In addition, at the time, he made a lot more money than I did and I was doing good. He was making almost crazy money.
So I said, sure what have you got. It was three S&W revolvers. I looked at them and agreed to buy them. But, I couldn't help wondering why he wanted to sell them, so I asked. He said that he didn't have any use for them. Hadn't touched them in years. They were just taking up space in his closet............ Then I asked him where he got them. One of them was his duty weapon when he was a cop. Another one was a 2" Model 10 that his dad (an FBI agent) gave him at his graduation from the police academy.
I said, doesn't that have some sentimental value to you ?
He said, no, not really.

Ok, so I bought them.

I never saw that coming from this guy. I know for a fact that he gets along with his dad. It just meant nothing to him.  ??
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

maybe he was a dickhead.

Amazing

Sounds like a nerve was hit.  Tell us about your grandfather.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You guys do know that not everybody is as sentimental as you are? I am not, it doesn't make me a bad guy, and it certainly helps with the clutter in the house. It isn't that I didn't care about my grandparents, or didn't love them, or that I had something against them, I loved them dearly, and cherish their memories, I just don't want their crap.

I remember when my mothers parents died, the rest of the family went nuts fighting over who got what, I witnessed them rip wounds in each other that will never heal, and it was over junk, a shirt that nobody would ever wear, a hideous pendant. Army Ribbons that none of them even know what were, they couldn't tell a good behaviour medal from a CMH. It was beyond disgusting, I lost respect for some of them for life. It was 25 years ago, and to this day some of them I wouldn't piss on if their wig was on fire. Maybe that has something to do with it.

If keeping relics from the past is the only way you can manage to maintain a link with the past, and your departed family members, then go ahead and keep the stuff (although you should at least display the stuff, not stick it in a box in the closet, as that isn't much different than selling it). I told my parents long ago that I didn't want anything from them when they died, no property, no effects, no money, nothing, and that if they left anything to me I would probably donate it to charity, or throw it in the dumpster, and I was dead serious.

You only get the one chance to pass things to your kids and their kids and such on down the line.  

I have heard stories of grandparents and stuff that died before I was born but a tangible object makes the things so much more real.  They live on through those objects to further generations.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe she's not a "stupid whore", but maybe she's an older lady that doesn't have any family to pass things like that down to.  I've got some neat stuff, but I don't have kids or siblings.  Would I be a "stupid whore" if I sold it?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

~~snip~~

~~snip~~

It is judging.

I for one would love to have something like this from my grandfather.  He wasn't a peter touching perv as your post suggested of this other fellow

I have an old gold chain my grandfather gave me and don't ever plan on getting rid of it.

And while I can't say that every possession from one's relatives needs to be kept, there should be some things to keep memories alive.  This lady may already have this, who knows.  I sure don't.

Since you are new here you must not understand the majority of the members ideals here

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Maybe she's not a "stupid whore", but maybe she's an older lady that doesn't have any family to pass things like that down to.  I've got some neat stuff, but I don't have kids or siblings.  Would I be a "stupid whore" if I sold it?

yes

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is well known at work that I am heavily into guns.

I had a guy approach me, years ago, and wanted to know if I wanted to buy some pistols he had. Let me preface this by saying that this guy is very intelligent, highly motivated, very responsible, conservative, educated: I really admire the guy.  In addition, at the time, he made a lot more money than I did and I was doing good. He was making almost crazy money.
So I said, sure what have you got. It was three S&W revolvers. I looked at them and agreed to buy them. But, I couldn't help wondering why he wanted to sell them, so I asked. He said that he didn't have any use for them. Hadn't touched them in years. They were just taking up space in his closet............ Then I asked him where he got them. One of them was his duty weapon when he was a cop. Another one was a 2" Model 10 that his dad (an FBI agent) gave him at his graduation from the police academy.
I said, doesn't that have some sentimental value to you ?
He said, no, not really.

Ok, so I bought them.

I never saw that coming from this guy. I know for a fact that he gets along with his dad. It just meant nothing to him.  ??

To him they were tools, some people just don't bond emotionally with their tools. It wasn't as if he was selling them for his next fix, he probably thought about it a little. He realized he had no use for them, and wasn't at all interested in them, and knew that you were the kind of guy who would appreciate what they were, and what they might mean to somebody.

I could understand that with two out of the three. However, the one that was given to him upon his graduation from the police academy is more than a tool. It doesn't matter if it was a watch or whatever, if I got a gift from my dad at some monumental moment in my life  (never happened) I would tresure that as a deepsake even if I had no use for it.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:12:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#24]
My brother passed away in Feb of this year.  His wife gave me his Pistol.  Taurus 357 Mag.  Not worth a lot but I would not take a Million dollars for it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

maybe he was a dickhead.

Amazing

Interesting, and noted.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
maybe an "its all about me" attitude

maybe drugs

maybe a broken family

Shows why strong families are important

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top