Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2009 1:52:13 PM EDT
The local grocery store has these in the hurricane supplies section.

Any good?

I figure once hurricane season is over, they will be on clearance and worth buying what they have.

http://www.heatermeals.com/
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Tried 'em.  Not what Alton Brown would call "Good Eats," but In an emergency, they would taste pretty darn good, I bet.
Very, very high sodium content.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:00:25 PM EDT
[#2]
plenty have in the SF here,,go ask there..
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure if I'd want the combination constipation/diarrhea during a hurricane.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:08:25 PM EDT
[#4]
We had them for pre-mob back in 2005.  They are immensely better than MRE's.  I wouldn't hesitate to stock up on them, only caveat would be shelf-life.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy one and give them a try. I have seen them before but have never tried them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#6]
We had those at NTC, the breakfast ones with pancakes and bacon. They rocked!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep a few on my truck, I like some of them. Good yo have around just in case but get one of each and find out which ones you like first.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had them and they were decent. I also had some of these type of self heating canned meals and they were great.

http://www.switched.com/2009/08/13/hotcans-ready-to-eat-meals-for-the-chef-boyardee-crowd/
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#9]
more importantly is how will this heater react vs an MRE heater when combined with water in a small closed container?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#10]
They're better than MRE's. We had them at JRTC. Same heater as an MRE, similar calorie content, but better food in it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I tried one about five years ago. Unless they have changed within that time I wouldn't buy another. I had the chicken and potatoes. I'd rather shit on a plate and eat it before going at one of those again. At least the turd would be warm right away and probably taste better. The heater took forever to get the meal warm to the touch. I love MREs and would take one over these any day.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#12]
We had the big ones in LA after katrina. fucking godawful. They bought vegetable lasagna so people of all faiths/inclinations could eat them. Andrew Zimmern wouldnt eat that piece of shit. The only plus it had going for it was the sheer volume of food it provided. most of it was 2nd rate chinese made juices and side dishes. They are not packaged for long term storage. Its normal off the shelf packaging.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#13]
They're okay.

I actually prefer the old MRE's.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#14]
You know how you can tell when you live in the wrong area?  

There's a "hurricane supplies" section in your local supermarket.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#15]
They gave us some of those things this last field exercise to break up the steady mre diet we were on. People hated them. We were asking for MRE's because we couldnt stand the thought of having to eat them again. Only upside we found were the drinks were better than the drink packets in the mre. We tossed about 3 whole pallets of heater meals into the dumpster while everyone cheered.
I would have to say that you should try them and make your own decision.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:44:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I am going to buy one for research purposes.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#17]
We had them at pre-mob in Wisconsin and they were readily available at Al-Assad in Kuwait... tasty tasty.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They gave us some of those things this last field exercise to break up the steady mre diet we were on. People hated them. We were asking for MRE's because we couldnt stand the thought of having to eat them again. Only upside we found were the drinks were better than the drink packets in the mre. We tossed about 3 whole pallets of heater meals into the dumpster while everyone cheered.

Wow... that is extremely wasteful.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hmmm....those must be the ones I bought on ebay....
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You know that gives me a great idea.

Have a SHTF department and what every the crisis of the week is you rename the department to match and throw in some "necessary" items.
The stupid sheeple would fall for that shit too.

This week's month'sSHTF department name would be "Swine Flu supplies"
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have a SHTF department and what every the crisis of the week is you rename the department to match and throw in some "necessary" items.

Just about every store in FL rolls out the hurricane supplies in May.

They sit, unsold, until a storm is actually heading our way.

Then, around late November, it all goes on clearance.

Next year, a fresh batch appears.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#22]
We had them in Afghanistan.  Although the consistency of the food tended to be better I liked the food selection in the MRE better.  The Ravioli MRE is my favorite.  The trail mix in the Heater Meal was just aweful to me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just about every store in FL rolls out the hurricane supplies in May.

They sit, unsold, until a storm is actually heading our way.

Then, around late November, it all goes on clearance.

Next year, a fresh batch appears.

That's flawed marketing. No one is going to buy hurricane supplies in May. If you market towards the "crisis of the week" the shit will fly off the shelves.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We had them at pre-mob in Wisconsin and they were readily available at Al-Assad in Kuwait... tasty tasty.

Those were the things in the sterile area, after going though the Navy Customs check, right?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Off the top of my head I have 142 cases of heater meals for our team.  We've been using them for about 4 years now as a backup if food has not arrived.  
BBQ Beef - Not worth it.
Chicken & noodles-  Not bad
Vegetarian Pasta Fagoli-  Good
Chicken, rice & beans, not on the top of the list
Chicken Italiana-  Not bad

Breakfast:
Pancakes are like poundcake, but toppings make it good.  Not a big fan of the bacon as it is too smoky, but I'll eat it.
Eggs, so long as you reconstitute them properly it is good.

IMHO, They're fine and eat them a couple times a month.  I usually suggest adding a little seasoning and make sure you hydrate after consuming.

Oh, and you can have plenty of fun with the heater element powder, water and an enclosed container
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top