BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2009 1:21:29 PM EDT
Just watched an autocross meet today.

The Miata now has Bilsteins, and 25mm swaybar front, 16mm rear

new street tires,

Hard dog roll har and a harness.

I think I'm going to give it a try next time home if there's a race.

Any advice would be helpful.

Pic, out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Treat the gas peddle as if there is an egg under it, roll on to the power. Ill post more when I get home

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Slow in fast out......keep your eyes up.  The car will ALWAYS go where you are looking.

ETA:  Buy this Book or One Like It

ETA2:  Don't let the guys on here give you shit about the Miata.  I could take 90% of the guys on AR15 around Road Atlanta in a Spec Miata and they would shit their pants....
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Needs pics!!!!

One of you guys has an old 2002 that I remember drooling over!!

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Go fast. J/K..but seriously..
and yeah..this thread needs more pics
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Ask one of the experienced drivers if they'd let you ride along for a race.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#6]
buy a shifter kart and kick everyones ass.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds as if you're classed for STS2 (or whatever it's been renamed.  STS?  ST?)  Anyway the Miata may not have street cred but it's a nearly perfect autocross car.  I just got done racing today...I finished second in our PAXed pro class; I was in a CTS-V in ESP and I lost to an ES Miata.  I beat him by about .4 on raw time but he got me by .6 or so on PAX.  That's another thing:  in a street tire class, PAX will be your friend.  For advice I'd say buy the best tires legal in your class.  Ask what the fast guys are using for tires, but I think right now the Kumho XS and Bridgestone RE11 have a lot of fans.  Tire alignment will be a big deal too.  Race as much as you can; seat time will make you faster than any part you bolt on the car.  Remember slow in, fast out.  The Miata is a momentum car so if you get out of shape and off the gas other cars will hand you your ass.  Ask to ride with the fast guys.  Watch their hands and the line they take.  Listen to the engine to determine their footwork.  Walk the course as much as possible before an event, and walk it with the fast guys.

ETA learn to look far ahead.  Don't just stare at the next cone in front of you.  You should be looking through the side windows just as much as you look through the windshield.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top