Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2009 11:17:23 AM EDT
Ok, so after 3 weeks of rain and business travel, I finally get around to mowing the back yard, I have kept the front cut, Anyway, on my trapse around the 1/4 acre, I find 4 fairly decent sized fire ant mounds.  After passing the mower over them the ants are just plain swarming around the hills.  I can clearly the tunnels they have formed.  After finding the second one, I decide to gert the gasoline.

Once finished mowing I walk around the yard dumping a cup or so of gas on each mound.  Then I go get the matches.  Heres the observation, Once I dropped the lit match on top of the mound there was a very gratifying whump sound, and then I noticed that flames were sprouting up a few feet away from the main mound..  This happened on all 4 mounds.  I let each mound burn for about 5 minutes and then extinguished the flames.

I though it was pretty cool the way the flames traveled thru the tunnels.  I could not see much movement afterwards.  Hopefully I got the queens.

Made me think we should be dropping FAE bombs all over teh tunnel regions of 'Stan.

No pics unless you want to seen 4 burn spots in my yard.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Need pics for BDA.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Pics..
I like burn spots.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#3]
in before the grass fire.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Sweet. You have me hoping for an ant mound to spring up in my yard now.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I usually poke a deep hole first with a broom handle or something then pour in the gas. That really pisses em off
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#6]
How tall are the mounds? Rule of thumb is 1.5 inches in depth for every inch in height. (You may need a bigger gas can).

Mounds can have multiple queens, unlike bee colonies. If you don't get all the queens, you fail.

I like Amdro. They're supposed to take it down and feed it to the queens. It seems to work better than the poison type controls for me. I'm out of Amdro, but I'm using up some poison until it's gone, then back to the bait.

Be careful. Some years ago a state legislator in a neighboring county went into anaphylactic shock while cutting hay on his farm. Those are some mean sumbitches.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#7]
This weekend I went to a buddies house and we found a black widow near where we like to shoot. I suggested killing it with fire. Mission accomplished.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Sweet. You have me hoping for an ant mound to spring up in my yard now.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Chlorine bleach and ammonia works well on gopher holes on my cousin's farm. Fire was not an option on the grass levee. Wonder how well it would work on ants.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#10]
No napkin, no reloads, no pics, no beverage  

I used to have to fry yellow jackets nests all the time; hasn't been an issue lately.  There was one near where I was prepping a food plot this year, so I just put some sevin on them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top