Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2009 9:45:56 AM EDT
I have a Briggs and Stratton 300 that I bought in April.  It's got Oil and Gas in it and will start, but after the initial start quickly dies.    It looks like the gas is fed to the engine by a ventruli vaccum once the motor is running.   You prime the engine with a rubber ball that squirts gas into the chamber.  After the engine kicks over, I can keep it running by using the rubber ball to feed gas to the chamber.  It looks like the vaccum never starts and it dies from fuel exhaustion soon after.

Now the filter is clean and is soaked in oil, per the MFG directions, so something else must be preventing the vaccum.

Anyone have any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#1]
It's dead. You might want to dig out the hand reel mower.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Kill it with fire.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:50:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's dead. You might want to dig out the hand reel mower.

I actually considered buy a hand mower back in April.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Change the fuel filter.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Clogged passage in the carb?

I'd pull it and give it a good cleaning.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#6]
fuel filter or carb needs to be cleaned out
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#8]
RIP grass eater
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I love my rechargeable mower.  Charge it up, unplug it and squeeze a lever.  It just runs.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
fuel filter or carb needs to be cleaned out

I'll switch the filter, but it looks clean as a whistle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Remove the air filter & try it.  Mine did this too & I found the filter was clogged up.  So I took off the air filter & ran it in place; fired right up and kept on chugging.  I replaced it & started mowing, not a problem since.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I love my rechargeable mower.  Charge it up, unplug it and squeeze a lever.  It just runs.  

What brand?  Because if I can't get this running I'll be out to buy a new mower.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Remove the air filter & try it.  Mine did this too & I found the filter was clogged up.

With the filter removed it will not run.  I think the filter helps create the vaccum.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Remove the air filter & try it.  Mine did this too & I found the filter was clogged up.

With the filter removed it will not run.  I think the filter helps create the vaccum.

This is truth––most small engine carbs now need a vacuum to work at all.

I would also suggest trying a clean air filter.
~
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Im not sure how much truth there is to it, But a mechanic recently told me that regular gas with 10 percent ethenol is really bad for small engines.
I DO have to say ive had to replace carbs on weedeaters, and get the carbs cleaned on my mowers alot. Now Im trying high test. Check your fuel
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Dump the gas in the tank, [I mean ALL of it] refill it to the top with fresh gas, prime it and I'd bet it starts and runs fine.

Check all the hoses and make sure they are hooked up. Can you pull the jet and spray the hole with carb cleaner with the attached hose sprayer. [watch eyes]  

If that does not work then you'll have to separate the gas tank and carb and clean out the screen.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Im not sure how much truth there is to it, But a mechanic recently told me that regular gas with 10 percent ethenol is really bad for small engines.
I DO have to say ive had to replace carbs on weedeaters, and get the carbs cleaned on my mowers alot. Now Im trying high test. Check your fuel

IIRC the local gas is an eth blend.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Dump the gas in the tank, [I mean ALL of it] refill it to the top with fresh gas, prime it and I'd bet it starts and runs fine.

Check all the hoses and make sure they are hooked up. Can you pull the jet and spray the hole with carb cleaner with the attached hose sprayer. [watch eyes]  

If that does not work then you'll have to separate the gas tank and carb and clean out the screen.

Will try this too, but this gas is less than 1 week old.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will try this too, but this gas is less than 1 week old.

But the crud at the bottom of the tank isn't and there is a screen at the pickup.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#20]
I can't decipher from your post, so Ill ask

It has an impulse pump to get the fuel to the engine?

It may be hard and brittle and not work anymore.   I wouldn't suspect gas being a problem if you can force feed it with the prime bulb and the motor runs just fine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Is that Forrestlawn Cemetery in Norfolk?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What brand?  Because if I can't get this running I'll be out to buy a new mower.

Homelite.  Got it at Home Depot.  Not cheap, tho, it was like $300.  

It works GREAT, though.  I have about a 1/8-1/4 acre lot, and can mow my yard at least twice on a full charge.  It's a 20" cut, has a rear bag, a side eject and a plug for mulching.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It works GREAT, though.  I have about a 1/8-1/4 acre lot, and can mow my yard at least twice on a full charge.  It's a 20" cut, has a rear bag, a side eject and a plug for mulching.  

Pouring out and replacing the gas was a no-go.  

This is probably going to be my replacement mower.  B&D mulcher

I'll get a new filter for the gas mower and if it starts sell it on Craigslist for $40.  Otherwise junk it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I can't decipher from your post, so Ill ask

It has an impulse pump to get the fuel to the engine?

It may be hard and brittle and not work anymore.   I wouldn't suspect gas being a problem if you can force feed it with the prime bulb and the motor runs just fine.

I don't know the term for it.   It looks like a fuel tube that uses a vaccum to feed gas into the engine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:27:49 AM EDT
[#25]
When you flush the gas out make sure to use some SeaFoam.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll get a new filter for the gas mower and if it starts sell it on Craigslist for $40.  Otherwise junk it.

Do you have ANY mechanical knowledge of small engines?  Serious question.

And it's probably still under warrenty, check before you junk it. It's probably a very simple fix.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have ANY mechanical knowledge of small engines?  Serious question.

And it's probably still under warrenty, check before you junk it. It's probably a very simple fix.

I have basic shop class knowledge.  I'm an Electrical Engineer, not a Mechanical one.   There is a warrenty, but I'll probably end up selling it if they fix it.  

Overall, it's been an annoying machine with a lot of shortfalls.   But it was $100 at the time.   I think I'm just going to replace it with what I should have bought when I originally needed one.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The B&D is nice, but it's a plastic deck.  The Homelite is steel.  It's VERY sturdy.  It's like someone took a regular 20" mower and took the engine off, and then slapped a DC motor where it went, and stuck a couple 12v batteries behind it in series.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#29]
OK, it's the $99 special, yeah they are pretty cheaply made.....................

Still, it's going to be something simple and cheap to fix, either the diaphram has a tear in it or there is some gunk in the main jet. Both are very cheap to fix but you have to actually want to work on it.

If nothing else, get it fixed under warrenty, buy another one and keep this one as a spare.

Sometimes you can cheat and use some starting  fluid to keep it running [spray in carb intake with filter removed and yes it'll run with the filter off]

I'd bet the fixed jet is corroded and partially blocked, you can still unscrew most of them and clean them out if you have some fine wire. I use dental drill bits myself, they do a better job.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The B&D is nice, but it's a plastic deck.  The Homelite is steel.  It's VERY sturdy.  It's like someone took a regular 20" mower and took the engine off, and then slapped a DC motor where it went, and stuck a couple 12v batteries behind it in series.  

Or I could eliminate my mowing forever...
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OK, it's the $99 special, yeah they are pretty cheaply made.....................

Still, it's going to be something simple and cheap to fix, either the diaphram has a tear in it or there is some gunk in the main jet. Both are very cheap to fix but you have to actually want to work on it.

If nothing else, get it fixed under warrenty, buy another one and keep this one as a spare.

Yeah, I got the el cheapo.  Considering I paid $30 a month to have someone mow my lawn, it's paid for itself.  

I'll see about the warranty fix.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#32]
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10854262

This is the brand I bought.  It was on sale at $100 at the time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#33]
So basically, is the fuel tank above the carburetor or below it?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So basically, is the fuel tank above the carburetor or below it?

below
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Your  gas cap needs a vent or the vent is pluged. It cant suck gas if its air tight. take the gas cap off and clean out the vent or just loosen the cap and try and start it too see if thats the problem.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#36]
tannin,
              Pull the spark plug, clean with a wire brush, put back, push fuel bulb several times, start motor....sometimes its not fuel, or maybe too much...It will only take 2 minutes to try...Tom
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#37]
The last time my lawn mower stopped working I just kicked her in the ass and she started right back up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top