Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2009 8:07:14 AM EDT
I just bought a new multi-function printer (scanner, copier, printer). The problem is when I try to scan to my PC using the scan button on the front of the printer, it gives me a message "connecting to PC" and then after a few minutes it times out. The printer can see the PC because the printer menu asks me which of my two PCs it should scan to. The scan will work fine if I initiate the scan from the software on my PC.

BTW...I have the printer connected to my wireless router as a network printer.

Is there some printer setting I am overlooking that will fix this? Could it be the firewall on my PC?

UPDATE: I just tried it with the WinXP firewall disabled and it now works. So the new question is how do I enable the firewall and provide an exception for the scanner?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have Vista? Was this scanner aviable when XP was in style. Sometimes when the do the vista upgrade they dont get everything right.

I have a HP scanner with software made for XP. None of the buttons on front work. Half the software doesnt either. I can change the setting but not save them. I'm not using Vist just Sever 2003. I'm guessing permissions are a problem.

See you got it fixed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#2]
for your update, on the firewall, you need to make an exception(s) for the ports used with in the scope of the  local subnet.

search internet/documentation for what port the network print server uses, it is probably common/standard number.

I donno about network scanning though.  i can picture how it should work, but i have no hands on experience.

edit: personally, i hate all-in-one printers. maybe expensive ones work, but my mom has been buying them for over a decade and they never have worked seamlessly. like the f-111 or the space shuttle. try to do everything for everyone and end up doing nothing well for anyone.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
for your update, on the firewall, you need to make an exception(s) for the ports used with in the scope of the  local subnet.
search internet/documentation for what port the network print server uses, it is probably common/standard number.
I donno about network scanning though.  i can picture how it should work, but i have no hands on experience.

edit: personally, i hate all-in-one printers. maybe expensive ones work, but my mom has been buying them for over a decade and they never have worked seamlessly. like the f-111 or the space shuttle. try to do everything for everyone and end up doing nothing well for anyone.

Thanks!!! That fixed it. I found the port info in the printer manual and I added it to the WinXP "firewall exceptions".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top