Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2009 6:51:09 AM EDT
I recently purchased an HD camcorder, it records the videos at .mts files which are AVCHD compressed files. Trying to play back in VLC or Windows Media Player Classic I get about 2 seconds of fluid video then the video freezes and the audio keeps playing. Playing the video in Windows Media Player it works but the quality isn't that great.

I'm trying to edit in Sony Vegas Pro but the preview playback is to jumpy for me to be able to do anything. I'm pretty certain if I can fix whatever issue is with VLC and WMPC it'll fix it in Vegas also.

My system is an X2 4200+, 2 gig ram with Nvidia 9600, it's more than capably of playing these files, it's just a software issue somewhere. I have Haali Media Splitter and CoreAVC Pro installed. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:08:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I recently purchased an HD camcorder, it records the videos at .mts files which are AVCHD compressed files. Trying to play back in VLC or Windows Media Player Classic I get about 2 seconds of fluid video then the video freezes and the audio keeps playing. Playing the video in Windows Media Player it works but the quality isn't that great.

I'm trying to edit in Sony Vegas Pro but the preview playback is to jumpy for me to be able to do anything. I'm pretty certain if I can fix whatever issue is with VLC and WMPC it'll fix it in Vegas also.

My system is an X2 4200+, 2 gig ram with Nvidia 9600, it's more than capably of playing these files, it's just a software issue somewhere. I have Haali Media Splitter and CoreAVC Pro installed. Any suggestions?

Download and install the Klite Codec pack. I can't garantee it will fix your issue but any HD issues I have had in the past has been eliminated with the introduction of these codecs.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:12:52 AM EDT
[#2]
AVCHD is a highly compressed signal that requires a HUGE amount of horse power. In Final Cut you can bring it in and it converts it over to Apple Pro Res. Since you are on a PC using Vegas you may want to convert it over to a P2 MXF file using this:

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/desk/e/download.htm#avchd

Vegas sgould be able to use the MXF file. I use Avid, FCP, and Edius, am not sure if there is another way to do it in Vegas, but editing in AVCHD sucks and most people transcode to another format for editing.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:14:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
AVCHD is a highly compressed signal that requires a HUGE amount of horse power. In Final Cut you can bring it in and it converts it over to Apple Pro Res. Since you are on a PC using Vegas you may want to convert it over to a P2 MXF file using this:

Vegas sgould be able to use the MXF file. I use Avid, FCP, and Edius, am not sure if there is another way to do it in Vegas, but editing in AVCHD sucks and most people transcode to another format for editing.

FCP, Edius, Avid...you work at a TV station?  

I'm personally a FCP guy, but that's what I learned on in high school.  I was never a huge fan of Avid and I've never used Edius.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:20:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I've seen a lot of people say they converted it before editing it, I wasn't sure if you'd lose any video quality and that was just adding an unnecessary step, or if it's actually required? Still doesn't explain why VLC won't play it at all but windows media player will
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:22:08 AM EDT
[#5]
No I own a company that sells broadcast and production equipment. We are an Avid, Apple, Grass Valley, Panasonic  dealer etc. We are a Sony dealer too I hear Vegas is ok, I am sure it is more than enough for what the OP plans on doing we just normally sell Avid and FCP and that is what I normally use personally.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm personally a FCP guy, but that's what I learned on in high school.  I was never a huge fan of Avid and I've never used Edius.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:24:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Ahh, cool.  I'm in the broadcast business too.

Maybe Avid has gotten better since i last used it but I remember wanting to vomit after trying to use it the first time.  Definitely not my kind of editing system.  FCP is far easier - in fact, I'm playing around with FCP right now

Quoted:
No I own a company that sells broadcast and production equipment. We are an Avid, Apple, Grass Valley, Panasonic  dealer etc. We are a Sony dealer too I hear Vegas is ok, I am sure it is more than enough for what the OP plans on doing we just normally sell Avid and FCP and that is what I normally use personally.
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know on the consumer player side, there are too many variables based on what drivers and codecs you have loaded on the system. The quality will not be reduced by any noticeable amount as long as you go to a quality codec. The edit file will be larger AVCHD is highly compressed hence the small file size.

Quoted:

I've seen a lot of people say they converted it before editing it, I wasn't sure if you'd lose any video quality and that was just adding an unnecessary step, or if it's actually required? Still doesn't explain why VLC won't play it at all but windows media player will

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:43:26 AM EDT
[#8]
To each his own, but w/o Avid FCP would probably be like the Media 100. Both have their positive points but Avid Media Composer is a lot more refined and faster to edit with FCP Avid has a lot more "real world" shortcuts than FCP. This is the reason it is used so much in long form and film. Avid also works with native MXF files and with AMA you do not have to convert from the native P2 file or XDCAM. FCP does offer a bunch of slick multimedia features like "share" and iChat. Avid is more geared towards the traditional editor while FCP is more driven by "new media". Both are tools and one may be better suited for one job than another.  

Quoted:

Ahh, cool.  I'm in the broadcast business too.

Maybe Avid has gotten better since i last used it but I remember wanting to vomit after trying to use it the first time.  Definitely not my kind of editing system.  FCP is far easier - in fact, I'm playing around with FCP right now

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top