Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 7:39:21 PM EDT
I'm building a "Dojo" in my garage for mma, kettlebell training etc and would like to cover the floor with a wrestling mat, but man,  they are very expensive.   Anyone know where I can get a used one at a good price?   Any other ideas for padded floor covering?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#1]
double
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#2]
No cheap ones. You have to pay for that built up ass smell
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Hm, you could try talking to a local College/University and see if they have anything to offer....hell, you could even try a local Middle/High school.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#4]
There is/was a place called Reslite I think, who sold reconditioned mats.  Sometimes they pop up on ebay as local pick ups.  Otherwise, I know of one for sale, but it's in Davenport, IA, and I would imagine shipping would be expensive.

here's Resilite:  http://www.resilite.com/Departments/Wrestling-Mats-and-Supplies.aspx
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I found the Resilite website when doing a google search.  They look like a great way to go for home use, but I was hoping to spend about half that price.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]
when did the kettlebells become more popular, I see those all over now.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Don't know, I only learned about them a year and a half ago.   But they are without a doubt the best all round exercise routine I have ever done.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#9]
We use children mats, where I spar we only do ground work because of how thin they are but if you put down two layers you could probably do throws and take downs on them. They look like this, I think they got them at CostCo or Sams.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Ringworm doesn't come cheap

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:28:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We use children mats, where I spar we only do ground work because of how thin they are but if you put down two layers you could probably do throws and take downs on them. They look like this, I think they got them at CostCo or Sams.
http://www.allproducts.com/manufacture97/nsrubber/product4.jpg

These are probably what I'll end up using.  We had a section of them in an old gym I belonged to and they would skin you alive when doing shrimp crawls etc.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

These are probably what I'll end up using.  We had a section of them in an old gym I belonged to and they would skin you alive when doing shrimp crawls etc.  

Really? I've never had that problem.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:30:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What was old, is new again.   Always was the best, machines suck and are a good way to get injured for most people.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was old, is new again.   Always was the best, machines suck and are a good way to get injured for most people.

yep I remember at one point they were considered old fashioned and now they're considered new fashioned again.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wal-mart sells gray ones for home gyms.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Look on your local school district web site and find out when they are remodeling schools. Most school districts will give you their old mats as long as you haul them out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:24:21 AM EDT
[#17]
get the puzzle mats from lowes or home depot, man..... ive rolling on them plenty and they're fine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:26:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'm building a "Dojo" in my garage for mma, kettlebell training etc and would like to cover the floor with a wrestling mat, but man,  they are very expensive.   Anyone know where I can get a used one at a good price?   Any other ideas for padded floor covering?  

Thanks

If there are any horse supply shops around you, get some horse stall mats.

Basically the same thing, but 1/2 the price.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:19:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a whole bunch of mats in my garage that I am not using. They came from a medical supply company. I think they were used as fall protection for elderly people. Not quite as good as gym mats but still very nice.

They have two panels that fold in half for storage. When unfolded, they measure about eight feet by three feet. There is also velco on each side so they can be connected together.

I don't know what they are called exactly but it might be worth checking into

Oh, the ones I have are blue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top