Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2009 4:57:52 PM EDT
My sister in law found one of these today that she wants to get. Can anyone give me advice on if they're a good buy?

The one she's looking at is a 2004 base model with 54,000 miles if that helps and they are selling it slightly below low book.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Really wierd car to drive.  I thought my P.T. rental car was a POS.  Really underpowered.  Huge turning radius.  Controls were in ackward places.  I didn't like it.  Not comfortable either.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Not to shit in your thread but I hate those fucking things. They made to many of them and put a way to small motor in them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#3]
chick that works for me has one real pos the car not the chick shes great
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm driving one right now as a loaner. Bad controls, bad handling, tranny whine, underpowered. It's basically a dodge Neon with a body kit and different interior, hip with the senior citizens, and it sucks ass ass far as I can tell.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Have her take a ride in one first.

I had one a rental and couldn't see anything behind me.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]
two words.

Fu. gly.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#8]
KILL IT!!!!!! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!!

Oh wait......................wrong thread???
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Mom had a 02 limited edition with the turbo.

Ran like hell.

Dad came home, parked in the garage, about an 10 mins. later car caught fire.

Took out whole garage, dodge ram and his bass boat.

That was in 07, State Farm is still fighting Chrysler on it.

They had a problem with the wiring harnes or something.

Don't know if it was year specific though.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I was given one as a rental and hated it. Thought it was the worst thing on the road...till I was given an HHR. Now THAT'S a piece of crap.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Got stuck in one as a rental. Hated every thing about it. Plus it was some pale piss yellow color that NO one had ever seen before or thought was attractive.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Dykemobile
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm driving one right now as a loaner. Bad controls, bad handling, tranny whine, underpowered. It's basically a dodge Neon with a body kit and different interior, hip with the senior citizens, and it sucks ass ass far as I can tell.

Had one as a rental, not a fan, pretty much covered the reasons why above.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#15]
A guy i work with had lots of transmission issues.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#16]
You know those chairs you sat in in school? The plastic ones that were just a simple L shape? Sitting in a PT cruiser is just about the same comfort wise. Whomever said they were underpowered and had a huge turn radius is dead on. Blind spot about the size of Arizona. I could go on, but people above me have it about covered.

My mom who wanted the damned thing so badly cannot to this day articulate how much she hated that car a month after having it. Everyone I personally know who had one (about 3) have the same loathing and contempt for it after just a short while of owning it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

its a NEON!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#18]
POS
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#19]
It looks like a mini Hearse.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#20]
My wife wanted one so we bought a Touring Edition because I couldn't sit up straight in the limited. It is all in what you want but the one thing that stood out to me was the poor fuel economy - 16-18 for a 4banger.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Wife has an '04 w/34K on it.
She likes it...I much prefer to drive my Stang or my Cherokee.
Only issue was a unit bearing died (seemed kind of early for that, but oh well).
Hers is the Touring Edition-as above, controls are laid out funky and power for the weight could be better.

Nick
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Couple friends bought new ones about 3-years back when they were practically giving them away.  Like $9,000.00 brand new. Been alright cars.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Really wierd car to drive.  I thought my P.T. rental car was a POS.  Really underpowered.  Huge turning radius.  Controls were in ackward places.  I didn't like it.  Not comfortable either.

I concur.  IIRC, window controls are near the gear shift which is between the front seats.  Very underpowered.  I would not buy one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I drove one as a rental about a year ago.

It felt cheap, looked gay, had ZERO power, looked gay, made me look gay, caused girls to laugh at me, looked gay, and is a GM product.

They call it a PT LOSER for a reason.

I would rather drive a beetle than a PT Cruiser. I would rather get my salad tossed by a wild boar than drive a beetle. Its that gay.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#26]
No, man.  Shit no, man.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I fucking hate those cars.  Maybe its just cuz I build hot rods, but they are not classic cars or hot rods.  If you own one, stop acting like its a hot rod, its a shitty econobox with stupid wood paint.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It felt cheap, looked gay, had ZERO power, looked gay, made me look gay, caused girls to laugh at me, looked gay, and is a GM product.

I would rather drive a beetle than a PT Cruiser. I would rather get my salad tossed by a wild boar than drive a beetle. Its that gay.

I'm assuming you mean GM as in Government Motors, not General Motors, right??
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Dykemobile

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Bought one when they first came out. Bad experience with the dealer, didn't like it. Still, I made 5K off of it after owning it for a month. And that was selling it to a DEALER.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

GM owns/owned Chrysler?  Thats news to me.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Fat chicks, homosexuals and the occasional old person are the only people I ever see behind the wheel of a PT Cruiser.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha thanks guys, I dont know why I was assuming it was a Chevy car

Im thinking of that other thing that looks similar.

Either way, I drove one for a week as a rental, and I never will again
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean the HHR?

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I've rented them several times, and wouldn't buy one. No power, and it feels like a bunch of plastic stuck together with chewing gum. I rented a convertable PT Cruiser in Hawaii once and that was fun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean the HHR?

I just did a google image search, and yes thats the one

I always saw the "HHR" on the road and assumed it was some version of the PT. I never looked close enough I guess

oops

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Good friend had one and loved it.  She never had any problems.  She still regrets getting rid of it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#40]
All the people that I know that drive one and like it are fucked in the head. That should tell you something.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I hate those things.  I have two on my lot right now.  They're built on the Neon chassis and are an enormous pile of trash... much like the Neon.

On the other hand, there's one in town that's got several, several thousands of dollars worth of work and it blew the doors off my 911 in a drag race.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I also had a rental PT.  Have her try parking it first.  Mine steered like an extended cab pick-up.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#43]
I bought a '06 GT , it was cheap and has had no issues.

230hp and a 5-speed , I don't give a shit what it looks like cause it smokes hondas alllll dayyyy.

I think the paint color is banana creme , I may paint it camo with spray cans and add a bolt face decal.

Who cares.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Stay away
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I hate those things.  I have two on my lot right now.  They're built on the Neon chassis and are an enormous pile of trash... much like the Neon.

On the other hand, there's one in town that's got several, several thousands of dollars worth of work and it blew the doors off my 911 in a drag race.

Actually , they are not built on the neon chassis .

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

230hp and a 5-speed , I don't give a shit what it looks like cause it smokes hondas alllll dayyyy.

I think the paint color is banana creme , I may paint it camo with spray cans and add a bolt face decal.

Who cares.

Smokes Hondas huh?

You never say that outloud in front of people do you?

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who cares.

Smokes Hondas huh?

You never say that outloud in front of people do you?

Yes , I do.

But , mostly just the greasy kids with the buzz-bombs.

ETA- since I'm not a chick, I didn't give a shit what it looked like, or that it drinks gas like a v-8, or even that it rides like a truck and has a turning radius like one.

My only regrets are that it is not rear drive and it does not have an LSD.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#48]
I know 5 people with one.
They all like them and have no problems that you don't have with any vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#49]
more like PT Loser.  there are so many nicer cars out there to buy for the same price.  i have driven the turbo and regular version and they both suck large amounts of dick.  cheap quality everything, no power, sub par fuel mileage, and the turning radius of an 18 wheeler.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:23:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Chrysler.    Now I wouldn't mind having a PT BOAT.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top