Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 1:41:50 PM EDT
I have been thinking of doing this for a few years and with it cooling off outside it maybe a nice project for the next few weekends. Currently we just drive the 2 hours to get there in the morning but it would be nice to have somewhere over there to stay if we wanted. A few times we have stayed in a tent and I figured this would be better. I was thinking of getting a storage shed from Lowes or somewhere similar and turning it into a "cabin" to put on our hunting land. It does not have to be nice and we will probably spend less than 10 nights a year there. I was thinking just nail some bunks together inside for our sleeping pads/bags and maybe if I get fancy put in a wood stove for heat. Would like to keep it under 3-5k. Anyone ever try this?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Home Depot has a 2 story barn style one I would love to do something like this with.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Home Depot has a 2 story barn style one I would love to do something like this with.

i think i know what u r talking about is it around 12k?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#5]
How about a steel shipping container?  

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

that thing is the same size as one of my apartments was.  

regarding the OP, I would opt for a cheap, used tow-able camper
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

that thing is the same size as one of my apartments was.  

regarding the OP, I would opt for a cheap, used tow-able camper

We have a pop up that we can get up there easily. I just thought this would be more fun and I am a man always in need of a project.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Bubbles did
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#9]

just get some lumber and build your own

building codes be damned!

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Need a project?
Get a plan kit and build your own, just need a gennerator and a saw and scew guns. Use two to make a nice cabin, put a boxwood stove from harbor frieght in it and you got a BOL place.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Not a hunting camp, but I did actually turn one into a Brothel, it worked rather well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Why not just build one your self?? You could even use one of the ones at Home Depot or Lowes as a" plan".Should be able to do a good one for your budget.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Need a project?
Get a plan kit and build your own, just need a gennerator and a saw and scew guns. Use two to make a nice cabin, put a boxwood stove from harbor frieght in it and you got a BOL place.

Got a link?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I know of a guy that lives in one.

There are a few around here people stay in during hunting season and all so you would probably be good to go on it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Need a project?

Got a link?
It might be this one.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#17]
neat idea, but how much are those kit cabins that Cabela's sells?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#18]
We run across shipping containers that people have made into mini-cabins all the time out in the desert.  They can lock it up and everything inside is reasonably safe from your average desert scrounger.

I'd look at one of those as well.

Eric  
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We run across shipping containers that people have made into mini-cabins all the time out in the desert.  They can lock it up and everything inside is reasonably safe from your average desert scrounger.

I'd look at one of those as well.

Eric  

I have seen some of those that are pretty cool. Where do you get those?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#20]
This would make a nice hunting cabin.

I honestly think I could live full time in something like this, if I wasn't married.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Back when I was in high school, we used to build sheds for Carpentry II.  Did it all from the ground up.  We made them as big as 12x16 and they only cost about $1500 to build, IIRC.  That was five years ago.  Probably be around $2K now.  Used T1-11 plywood for siding and Advantec for flooring.  If you insulated it, finished the inside, or wired it, it would be more.  You could probably come in under $3K for one that's finished inside.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

This would make a nice hunting cabin.

I honestly think I could live full time in something like this, if I wasn't married.

I might be interested in something like this in a few years.  I would put it on a basement on a few acres that next to my brothers property that I am trying to buy.

It would be a second home for me and the future bride.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Back when I was in high school, we used to build sheds for Carpentry II.  Did it all from the ground up.  We made them as big as 12x16 and they only cost about $1500 to build, IIRC.  That was five years ago.  Probably be around $2K now.  Used T1-11 plywood for siding and Advantec for flooring.  If you insulated it, finished the inside, or wired it, it would be more.  You could probably come in under $3K for one that's finished inside.

Thanks for the advice. Insulating may be an option, but I do not plan on wiring it. With all the post here I am leaning more towards building it myself.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#24]
bump
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Here's a few pictures of the construction of a 12X16 storage barn I built in my backyard. I added a "second floor" loft inside for more space, and have a little vozelgang boxwood stove I plan to install when the interior is finished. I still have to run electricity and insulate and cover the interior walls and ceiling.

The kit cost about $1500. I spent a few hundred more on extra lumber to build the loft, the stove, and a man door instead of the barn doors. Finishing it will probably set me back another grand to do it really nice.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v138/Bloencustoms/061509_170700.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v138/Bloencustoms/062709_205200.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v138/Bloencustoms/062809_174201.jpg

Here's a few pictures of the construction of a 12X16 storage barn I built in my backyard. I added a "second floor" loft inside for more space, and have a little vozelgang boxwood stove I plan to install when the interior is finished. I still have to run electricity and insulate and cover the interior walls and ceiling.

The kit cost about $1500. I spent a few hundred more on extra lumber to build the loft, the stove, and a man door instead of the barn doors. Finishing it will probably set me back another grand to do it really nice.

That looks great. Where did you get the kit?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I saw an web site recently about people turning those large wood sheds at Lowes into small houses for crazy low money, more than you are looking to spend, but not by much.

I don't see a problem with what you have in mind, maybe one of the steel sheds, pour a concrete slab, anchor it, build a couple of bunks, add a wood stove and you are good to go for under a grand.

My first suggestion would be to find an older fifth wheel trailer or even a non running RV, they can be found for peanuts, and would make nice hunting camp lodging, plus are already set up with a kitchen, head and heat/AC.

I'd like to check that out if you have the link handy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The only problem is the Hood Wood Rats and their propensity to f*ck with anything that isn't theirs in search for meth money.

This

Fucking Meth monkeys raided two small hunting cabins(like the size of a fucking closet) on property our family has owed literally for centuries ripped out all the copper (plumbed for gas) and chopped up the fucking chimeny to get the galvanized.  They didn't know that my dad is a former DEC investigator and my Uncle is a DEC uniform.  Took all of two days to find the correct scrap yard and the fucking retards signed thier own names.  Have fun in jail fuck wads.  I hope the 23 dollars in Meth was worth destroying stuff my Great grandfather built you fucking wastes' of trailer jizz
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Ragnar's Eco-Cabin Weeb Site

Plainsman's Cabin

Also you can get deals on the qounset type steel building that have not moved out of inventory.You might do a search on plank houses.Its a native american a frame with a sunken floor.If you are in north Mississippi Magnum Storage out of West Memphis, Arkansas has the steel shipping containers. 20 ft $1,350      40 ft $1,650 plus freight.662-927-0015  No website I can find.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:36:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#31]
If you go the Build yourself route.

This may be an option for the trusses: (I have never dealt with him).

http://jackson.craigslist.org/mat/1381235312.html

If close to Gulfport area: This might be a deal

http://gulfport.craigslist.org/grd/1379490290.html

Issues we have had with this.

1) Mold

2) Rats/Mice chewing on bare wood(studs).

3) Waps/Hornets calling it home

4) Snakes seem to thing good place to hang out

5) Squirrels like to get inside. (maybe the reason for the snakes)

6) Because it is in the woods, It seems to draw the attention of everyone tresspassing. (Oh they have a building, I wonder what is inside).

(Always finding beer bottles, condoms, etc... in it.) A whole bunch of cigarettes put out on the floor. (Glad it did not burn down)

As mentioned, another consideration would be a trailer. Not necessarily a camper trailer.

A hunting partner, bought an 8 x 12 enclosed trailer.

Ran wires thru it for power boxes.

Then installed a gas/propane stove on the wall With gas line/valve outside where tank is.

Mounted a roof AC (like campers have).

Has roof mounted vents, and small slider windows on walls for venting/air flow

Added an Awning like campers have. (screened in) ( Nice for when cooking on propane/gas stove, and it is raining)

Found a Honda (very quiet Generator) cheap, and it runs everything. (If we need it).

Best of all, it hauls all the Hunting Equipment (stands, atvs/rhino, coolers, chairs, etc...) inside, and don't look like the Beverly Hillbillies going down the road.

Has become very practical for other uses. (Tailgating parties, etc...)

I think he has $2800 in it total (He bought new).

Can sleep 4-5 in it on cots very comfortably (Minus the snoring/farting)
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Need a project?

Got a link?
It might be this one.

Or this one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Tag I have a 12x16 getting moved to my lake property.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#34]
If there is a road to get to it, I'd be tempted to use a container.  Harder for someone to trash/burn down/burglarize, etc.

Michael
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top