Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2009 10:37:24 AM EDT
I'm sure a woman can be credited with designing the modern weedeater simply so that it will take a few years off a man's life from the sheer frustration of keeping it going more than 3 minutes straight.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Once in a while, a post like this reminds me why I don't buy anything but first-class small engines - my weed whacker is a stihl. It runs like a kitten.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I was going to say it sounds like you need a better weedwhacker.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#3]
My Stihl equipment doesn't frustrate me. One time it was hard to start, but I realized that it was because I forgot to turn on the ignition switch. My Echo equipment, on the other hand, seems far more temperamental, but, I leave it outside when it rains, so...
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you mean hard throttling a cheap weed eater for three minutes straight?  Cuz, yeah, that would make my head explode.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:07:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I paid $49 for a rebuilt weedeater from IFA 9 years ago.  I have never had a problem with it.  2 stroke tiny motors FTW!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Some of you guys need better equipment.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Once in a while, a post like this reminds me why I don't buy anything but first-class small engines - my weed whacker is a stihl. It runs like a kitten.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

+1 ... Get a Stihl !!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I used my grandpa's Stihl when I was up at his house in July and the thing ran like a top. I came home and was tempted to toss ours and buy one just like his.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I have no problem keeping my weadeater running.  However, adding string and keeping the string working correctly can make me lose my temper very quickly.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#11]
My Ryobi is a total pain to get started.  I have to toggle the choke just right otherwise it dies.  Good thing is once it gets going it'll run until I'm finished.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Honda 4-stroke...no mixing gas FTW.

Sounds like your carb is gunked up.  Take it apart and clean the carb with gas. Be sure to clean the diaphragms and tubes.   Or run straight gas in it for a few seconds. Don't blame me if it blows up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:23:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm sure a woman can be credited with designing the modern weedeater simply so that it will take a few years off a man's life from the sheer frustration of keeping it going more than 3 minutes straight.

As I always say ...

Use PRI-G in the fuel.  Only what is suggested (this is a very small amount).

MEASURE the two stroke fuel out, oil and gas.  Don't guess.

Use a metal gas can and use the fuel up in two months or less.

Use a quality synthetic two-stroke oil.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#14]
pics of shitty weed eater?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have no problem keeping my weadeater running.  However, adding string and keeping the string working correctly can make me lose my temper very quickly.

Buy the thickest high-quality string that will fit, and use the trimmer at a lower RPM. I can make one spool of string last weeks in my lawn business, but when my wife or dad use my trimmer, they seem to have to replace the string once per yard.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like your fuel tank may not be vented properly. Check the cap, or vent check valve if it has one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My Stihl equipment doesn't frustrate me. One time it was hard to start, but I realized that it was because I forgot to turn on the ignition switch. My Echo equipment, on the other hand, seems far more temperamental, but, I leave it outside when it rains, so...

rain??? what the hell is "rain"?

Man,it is DRY out here...way below average on rainfall this year in southeast Montana.Between the drought and the PLAGUE of 'hoppers I've only had to mow my yard ONE time and that was late May.....ain't nothing to mow.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

rain??? what the hell is "rain"?

Man,it is DRY out here...way below average on rainfall this year in southeast Montana.Between the drought and the PLAGUE of 'hoppers I've only had to mow my yard ONE time and that was late May.....ain't nothing to mow.

Man, it's rained here for about 6 of the last 8 days.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Throw that shit out and get an echo straight shaft
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I feel your pain. My old string non feeding underpowered POS trimmer ended up in the pond. Both halves of it are now in the junk pile.

In 2004 I broke down and spent $230 on Sears top of the line trimmer, insert one 18 inch long thick string thru two holes, and do half the yard. One more string and done and I have more trimming to do than most people do with a push mower, a 5'x208' ditch, a 200 foot treeline with low branches, 350' of fenceline, 700 feet of driveay edge, the house, the shed, the kid's swingset, and a 5 foot wide slope around a 50' diameter pond.

That Craftsman eats grass and weeds up to 2 feet tall without a hiccup. I've had it in the shop for a tuneup one time since I bought it, $38, and other than that it has been trouble and maintenence free.

Do yourself a real favor. Spend the money and get a tool that works. I'll never own an "auto-feed" string trimmer again.

ETA, if you're going to step up to a quality, powerful trimmer, safety equipment is a must. Goggles, long pants, and you need to be real sure of string rotation direction anytime you get near gravel, it can embed rocks in your shins if you're wering shorts and angle the trimmer head wrong.

Oh yes, keep your mouth closed while trimming too.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#21]
You have to manipulate the choke/throttle for a few minutes while the motor warms up...once it warms up, you are GTG....

Only a man can master this art...
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#23]
My Craftsman trimmer is almost 12 years old. The only thing i had to replace on it was the fuel line. Hell it still has the orignal spark plug.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#24]
The Mexicans that run theirs between 2AM and 5AM around here have no trouble at all keeping themrunning.  There are four groups of them that at least once a week use them  in the middle of the night.  At work the guy with the 2 cycle leaf blower has no trouble getting it started at 1:30AM five nights a week.z
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would also like to point out that the Stihl products are not only the best as far as reliability and function, they are a bargain, of course they are a bargain in the long term, you would go through several lower quality trimmers before you wear out the Stihl, but the Stihl are really a bargain up front, at my local dealer they have trimmers that start at $100 brand new, and by the time that you are paying $200 you are well into the lower end commercial products. My old Bolens that I hate so passionately cost me about $150 after tax, my Stihl 55r was $175 brand new. I could have got it with the bike handles for about $30 more, but decided not to, wish I had.

ETA: I haven't priced them in a while, but the last time I was at Pennington Power Products on Lumpkin Rd here in Augusta (yes that is a plug for a truly excellent business that I have nothing to do with besides being a satisfied customer), had Stihl chainsaws starting at $150 or so, may have been 160, and pretty serious says well under $300, they had the same saw I own, the MS290 Farmboss for $250, which is well below MSRP.

Must've been a while ago.  That's well below cost.  But I definitely agree with you –– Stihl FTW.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

QUOTED FOR TRUTH.

You get what you pay for when it comes to things like this.

Don't buy cheap tools.

Would you trust your life to a HiPoint?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Throw that shit out and get an echo straight shaft

That is what I have...never have had any trouble...edger and trimmer...both get used weekly...
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#29]
While I do consider Stihl products good quality, I had a Stihl trimmer that I wrapped around a 4x4 support post on my old carport. It felt rather satisfying, although the engine did scuff up the siding on the house when it broke off. There is nothing worse than one of these SOB's that won't crank or run properly.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Mone runs fine but the string delivery system leaves much to be desired.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#31]
While I do consider Stihl products good quality, I had a Stihl trimmer that I wrapped around a 4x4 support post on my old carport. It felt rather satisfying, although the engine did scuff up the siding on the house when it broke off. There is nothing worse than one of these SOB's that won't crank or run properly.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#32]
My echo works great as long as you do all your weed eating at once.  If you stop it then good luck getting it started for a looooong time.  When it goes out i'll get a stihl.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#33]
It helps if you aren't using gas mixed 2 years ago like most people do. As noted, you need to start it on full choke when cold, then run the throttle wide open on 1/2 choke for a bit until it warms up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#34]
My Echo fires right up every spring and has never had any problems for 3 years now.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#35]
I used to own an ACE HARDWARE store and before I sold that piece of shit scumbag underperforming store that was supported by the lying cocksucking  leeches at the corp. office in Chicago I put in a STIHL  department in the store. Smartest thing I ever did. Before I sold I took one of EVERYTHING off the shelf. STIHL STUFF ROCKS.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#36]
I agree, Those mono cord types are a PITA.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I had bought three $100 homelite POS trimmers in the last 4 1/2 years. Just could not bring myself to spend $250 for something that only needed to be used every two weeks around here.
A few weeks ago I got pissed at the crap, and the leaky fuel tanks, poor running and the tangled line. Went a bought a Echo straight shaft, put fuel in it, started on the third pull. Can't bog this thing down even in the heavy stuff on the edge of the woods.
Never again will I buy the crappy home rated stuff.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Your putting Oil in it right?  Seen/heard of  too many 2-stroke engines die because oh ya its gas and oil mix like the graphic says on the cap.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a tanaka straight shaft weedeater, it was the model right under the one with electric start back when I bought it 5 to 8 years ago or so.

The automatic string feed never has worked right but I just bought a spool of the biggest line that would fit on that head and don't worry about it.

The plastic priming bulb finally cracked on me this spring, it had issues last fall but I never figured out why I had to keep the choke on a bit to keep the thing running right.

Good stuff is nice, you can order parts for it and fix it and it keeps on working.  I may have sold my property but I kept that weedeater and the commercial walk behind mower I bought as well.  Good equipment is worth the expense.

I like stihl but tanaka does well for me and the dealer was closer.

Down here in tn husky is popular as well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:17:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I had bought three $100 homelite POS trimmers in the last 4 1/2 years. Just could not bring myself to spend $250 for something that only needed to be used every two weeks around here.
A few weeks ago I got pissed at the crap, and the leaky fuel tanks, poor running and the tangled line. Went a bought a Echo straight shaft, put fuel in it, started on the third pull. Can't bog this thing down even in the heavy stuff on the edge of the woods.
Never again will I buy the crappy home rated stuff.

OMG...  I still have an orange Homelite (probably $100) weedeater that my father bought more than 20 years ago. It still runs fine today, but I bought a second weedeater a few years ago just for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Stihl or Husqvarna for the win. My huskie usually takes about 3 pulls to start and has never died on me. I have a lot of grass to weedeat too
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#42]
you know what you have to do....

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You have to manipulate the choke/throttle for a few minutes while the motor warms up...once it warms up, you are GTG....

Or you can learn to properly tune a carb. After which, women and children can easily operate the machine.

See where this is going?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Landscape service for 11 yrs, still using the Echo weedeaters and edgers I got on day one. Get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
As an owner of a nice $125 Lowes weed whacker, I can sympathize with you, as the owner of a only slightly more expensive Stihl line trimmer, I can tell you that you are to blame for your pain and suffering, find a few local Stihl dealers, check them out and buy a line trimmer from the best of the bunch. My Stihl dealer is great, they have given me parts for several other brands of power products, no charge at all for brand new parts, they know once I am done with the crap, I will come to them for a usable tool, and I always do.

My Chainsaw works every time I need it, it isn't fussy or finicky, it just works. My line trimmer works every time I want it to, it isn't fussy or finicky, are you detecting a patter here?

Indeed.
I have a 80 space rv park probably 20 acres and here is the whole truth sthil all the way chainsaws, weedeaters, trimers
Now for the beast part samuri head and line is the best. you can order online and weed eat alll day with 3 strings.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or you can learn to properly tune a carb. After which, women and children can easily operate the machine.

See where this is going?

+ 10,000

Learn small engine repair it's pretty simple.

Maintain your equipment.

Mix oil properly.

Use realatively fresh gas.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#48]
I have one of the better Stihl models.  It's vicious.  I just hate when I'm done I'm covered and caked in grass and weed shit.  I wear a face screen or else I'd be blind.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#49]
I still need to buy a weedeater and a lawn mower.  I was given an old craftsman mower in exchange for working on an iPod, but I think its probably shot.  I was having issues with keeping it running so, I took off the bowl.  Found out gunk was causing the float not to move properly, thus why I had to keep hitting the primer every few minutes.  Well, I fixed that, but the gasket for the bowl was bad.  Apparantly, all the gunk was what was keeping it sealed.  So, I made a new gasket.  Now wihen you try to start it up, gas starts coming out of the exhaust and air filter.  I might take some of the money my wifes brother and mom gave to my daughter for her birth and buy a new mower.  I hate touching her money, but the wife hasn't worked for over a month and isn't going back to work till after October (had some issues in last month of pregancy and couldn't work).  Factor in the new house (thankfully only a $970 a month payment) and my truck payment, and I'll be hitting the saving this month to finish the bills.  Thankfully, the wife and I know how to budget and had been building up the savings to handle the hospital bills and living expenses along with her time out of work (I know its just not American, we actually saved our money rather than blow it all and cry to guberment).

I've also considered just getting a Black&Decker rechargeable battery powered weedeater.  My dad has one and since I only have 0.2 acres with a small rancher (once again, I know, its just not American, the wife and I are actually living within our means), I figure we can get buy the little electric one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

mine is a POS.  VERY DISSAPOINTED.  Shindiawa for me next time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top