Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 10:10:03 AM EDT
Because I fail every time I try to make these.  

Ok not exactly fail but they are not as good as the ones I get from the local wing shop. I don't want to pay $20 for 5 pounds of wings when I can run down to Sam's and get 10 pounds for $15 and pick up some Franks Red Hot for a few dollars more and make them myself.

So what's Arfcom's prefered method of making wings? What's the secret to making the sauce, as straight up Frank's doesn't seem to work right; plus how do you make the ranch dip? Hidden Valley ranch dressing is too runny.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Deep fry thawed wings (375 for 10-12 min, until crisp).

Cover with Franks, and a *little* melted butter.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#2]
You find the bar with the coldest beer/big screen/wings and go there.  It's far easier and, IMO, cheaper in the long run.

TC
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Mix melted butter with the hot sauce. Most wings are served with blue cheese dressing, not ranch. Go check out the Food Network for more info.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You find the bar with the coldest beer/big screen/wings and go there.  It's far easier and, IMO, cheaper in the long run.

TC

How is that cheaper?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I usually just make my famous call to Hooters and go pick them up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#6]
First you need to find a really small buffalo....
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Heres how I do it. Deep fry those wings to how you like them, ad in some butter to the franks red hot OR buy franks buffalo sauce. The amount of butter depends on what type of hot-to-greasy ratio you want the wings to be. put the wings in a big bowl and pour the sauce on them, mix it up, then put them back in the oven only for a few minutes with sauce drizzled on them..
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 the wings fall off after the first few weeks.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I just posted this question and got some good reponses. Here's the link:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=928634
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I personally have been seeking grants to plan on breeding Bison/Chicken hybrid.  

it hasnt gone well thus far
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Chicken wings- scamming people into paying $14 a pound for chikens scraps.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm doing it the hard way today. Mine was cluckng this morning. Will be sizzling tonight (grilled).

I've taken to grilling wings lately. They really turn out good. Mot wing joints sell there sauce so if you find one you like, just buy a bottled.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#13]
How do you make Buffalo Wings?  Call up The Anchor Bar in Buffalo and have them ship wings out to you: http://www.anchorbar.com/store.php

The invented the Buffalo Wing.  If you're going to have wings you might as well have the real thing.

Edit:  If you're going to do it, order the Suicidal wings.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#14]
All good buffalo sauces are a combination of the following

Fanks hot sauce

Franks extra hot

liquid butter

paprika

cayenne pepper

water

Use franks extra hot if you are looking for hot. Use regular franks if you are looking for medium. The biggest secret is to use a shitload of liquid butter. At least a 1/4 of the sauce is liquid butter. I used to work at a wing place. I can tell you how to make at least 30 different sauces. However the recipeis are to make 2 gallons at a time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I used to work at a wing place. I can tell you how to make at least 30 different sauces. However the recipeis are to make 2 gallons at a time.

I'd love to have 2 gallons of Nuclear Honey Teryaki sauce from Wing Zone.

You got a recipe for  something like that?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#16]
All it takes is 1/2 stick of butter for every 1 cup of Franks. I fry the wings 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees without breading, just some salt and pepper on them. Cover with the Franks/butter mixture and you're good to go. They've been a hit every place I've taken them. Simple to make and great to eat!! I hate to admit it, but I got this from Martha Stewart one day when my wife was watching. Whatever the source, they're damn good.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I used to work at a wing place. I can tell you how to make at least 30 different sauces. However the recipeis are to make 2 gallons at a time.

You got a recipe for something like that?

All we had teryaki wise was plain teryaki. It sounds like an interesting combination though.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Mango habenero from BW3 trumps all...

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#19]
oops...
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You got a recipe for something like that?

All we had teryaki wise was plain teryaki. It sounds like an interesting combination though.

Thanks - sometimes I'll get hot sauce and teryaki from zaxby's and add honey to it - I love the hot honey/teryaki combination.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Deep Fry the wings and Franks with butter. Thats Buffalo Wings, if you want to go all gourmet then deep fry and use other sauces. I like to dice up a habanero or two and put in the Franks. Oh and a large Tupperware bowl with lid for dispersing the sauce amongst the wings.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#22]
The best wings outside of a bar that I have had were baked then put on the BBQ to finish up for a couple minutes. Labor intensive, but they were good.

The best wings in Las Vegas can be had at two places: The Draft House and The Tap House. They call them either twice baked wings or Cajun wings. Both places have the same basic thing. I don't know how they make them. Probably nothing to it, but I never asked.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How do you make Buffalo Wings?  Call up The Anchor Bar in Buffalo and have them ship wings out to you: http://www.anchorbar.com/store.php

The invented the Buffalo Wing.  If you're going to have wings you might as well have the real thing.

Edit:  If you're going to do it, order the Suicidal wings.

That.

Anchor Bar's recipe is hands down the best one I have tasted:

Anchor Bar recipe

I seem to have misplaced my original copy, but the one above looks damn close. Google is your friend.

Frank's and Pete's ready made sauces are pretty good too when in a hurry.

Buy a deep fryer and follow directions for wings. Basically, max heat for 15-18 minutes (I like mine well cooked and crispy).

It's a lot of work to make from scratch. As others have stated, find a good place that delivers if you're a junkie.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought they were breed with Chickens,

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#25]

i like mine crispy

1. preheat overn to 350. cook wings on baking sheet until crispy. about an hour and a half (spread canola or peanut oil on baking pan before you put the wings in the oven)
2. take hot sauce, brown sugar, and honey and put it in a pot on the stove and heat.  add brown sugar and honey till you get your desired taste
3. dump crispy wings in bucket, pour sauce all over them. then shake the bucket to coat the wings.  done

ETA: i use the oven becuse i don't have a deep fryer

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought they were breed with Chickens,

Winged Buffalo are indigenous to Colorado...
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Getting ready to grill my famous wings now.  Just grill whole wings over charcoal, while they grill, take a stick of butter with a jar of Franks Red Hot, add a two table spoons of fresh garlic.  When the wings are done pour the sauce over the sings, cover and shake for a minute. Eat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top