Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 9:50:53 AM EDT
Already posted this in hometown, but thought I'd post it here for more laughs.

So...my father took his dogs for a walk yesterday morning as usual at around 7:20am

Almost back to the house, he about shit his pants as a BUFFALO started coming at him, and was in our front yard
Now my old man doesn't believe in "small calibers", he carries a smithy 44 mag 6"(yea I know, I think the old man has watched dirty harry one too many damn times...but on this day...it came in handy).
His bigger dog went ape shit into full on attack mode(very overprotective german shepard), dad was pretty shaken, he thought his GSD going nuts might 'set off' the buffalo.
Anyhow, he drew his weapon(not that I'm sure a 44 will do shit to a 1800lb buffalo), called me, and I went over there ASAP. I grabbed the FN FAL and we basically had a staring contest with this beast for 15 min while a vet came out to take the buffalo down. Dad's GSD was within 2 feet of the buffalo, and the cops were still in their squad cars doing jack shit  

Police were already all over the scene, apparently a farmer's buffalo got roudy and got loose.

And that my friends, is the tale of the buffalo who attacked my dad's house. Buffalo tracks still in the front yard  

Video from news media http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNowUGSImFw
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#1]
wow
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#2]
wow
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Ban bison, for the children.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ban bison, for the children.

LOL, Dads GSD was going to tear that buffalo a new ass...or so he thought

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I would have taken him out and then made burgers out of him ;)
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#6]
the funny thing is that the cops thought they were safe in the squad cars.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I really wanted too but apparently this was some "expensive" buffalo a local farmer had bought.

Trust me, I really really wanted to crack that fucker with the FAL, he fucked up dad's yard after we just laid sod  last yr.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#8]
needs MS paint.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Meat!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a buffalo burger at a Bass Pro Shops a while back.

It was really, really good.

And the take down was by sedative or lead?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
needs MS paint.

I'll get right on that..
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

sedative, "expensive buffalo" said the farmer who owned it, do not shoot.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#13]
One time I shot a bull with 7 1/2 birdshot when it started charging me. It made it stop but that was about all.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Cool story bro, hide your dog.
Either one of those comments could be the reason I have you ignored.  My curiosity got the better of me here.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One time I shot a bull with 7 1/2 birdshot when it started charging me. It made it stop but that was about all.

Thats kinda what I figured. This buffalo was within 5 feet of us, Id like to think we'd be able to take him with a .308 and 44 mag, but I imagined he would have killed my dad's dog stomping it before he "died" even if we pumped him full of lead
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

needs MS paint.

This!

Good story OP.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Cool story bro, hide your dog.
Either one of those comments could be the reason I have you ignored.  My curiosity got the better of me here.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#18]
We had some bison get loose on the west side of town some years ago, they escaped from a nearby slaughterhouse.  They were just hangin' out in somebody's front yard.  The local cops decided to take 'em down with ARs, it took a shitpot of ammo to kill 'em.  It was pretty dumb.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We had some bison get loose on the west side of town some years ago, they escaped from a nearby slaughterhouse.  They were just hangin' out in somebody's front yard.  The local cops decided to take 'em down with ARs, it took a shitpot of ammo to kill 'em.  It was pretty dumb.

They're just big cows for the most part. If the cops around here shot all of the cows that got out then there would be a lot of cow shootin going on.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently not expensive enough to keep it penned up.

I know they're monsters and all but I wonder how much the man hour and equipment cost was to catch it for him.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Even a 308 is marginal, there's a reason they used BIG calibers to shoot these things, and as always with hunting there's a big difference between shooting one when it's calm and relaxed and shooting one when agitated. Once they're riled up you can blow it to pieces and it's still coming for you until the nervous system gives out.

At that range though, a head shot would probably do the trick with either, though it might take a few, better than trying for body shots. The police trying with AR's is just plain dumb. Let's see, it's not really considered a major manstopper, this animal is nine times heavier give or take a bit, did they REALLY think that was going to be effective?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I know they're monsters and all but I wonder how much the man hour and equipment cost was to catch it for him.

It's livestock. Sometimes they get out.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 farmer said he broke through a metal gate, how I don't know? But I do know he was standing in my dad's front yard so he OBVIOULSY got out somehow
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know, we used to have cows.

My point was that if it's that singular an animal, important to him, or expensive maybe he should make a correspondingly singular effort to protect his assets.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 farmer said he broke through a metal gate, how I don't know? But I do know he was standing in my dad's front yard so he OBVIOULSY got out somehow

I'm just glad we never kept any bulls. Convincing a heifer is hard enough.

Had one get in the cab of Paw Paw's truck one time.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, we used to have cows.

My point was that if it's that singular an animal, important to him, or expensive maybe he should make a correspondingly singular effort to protect his assets.

Even if it's just one they can still get out. You can't watch them 24hrs a day and it doesn't take them that long to get out if they feel the urge. Buffalo are a lot like cows but bigger and much stronger. Cattle would probably get out more often but they're just lazy.

I'm just saying, I really doubt this guy knew or had any hint that he'd be chasing down a buffalo today because it's easier to keep them in the fence than chase them.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You should try messing with a big longhorn.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really wanted too but apparently this was some "expensive" buffalo a local farmer had bought.

Trust me, I really really wanted to crack that fucker with the FAL, he fucked up dad's yard after we just laid sod  last yr.

Submit a bill for repairs to the farmer.  I'da let him pay it in meat though, buffalo's goooooood

As for the cops being safe in their cars, I saw a buffalo meet an F150, directional signal to cranium.  Crunch.

Mr. Buffalo snorted once, then kept right on keepin on.  Mr. F150 lost a directional and some of it's boyish good looks.

Buffs are real dumb though, and apparently won't trample you if you just stand still, yell,  and wave your arms around.  This sounds kind of dumb itself, yes, but it's true.  I done it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should try messing with a big longhorn.

Thank you no.

At least I wouldn't have to worry about it getting in the cab.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Rooming Buffalo?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Everybody sing!

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Should of taken it out and put it in the freezer. Bison is tasty.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really like buffalo. It's a little bit tougher than beef and is on the lean side of things, but it still has a nice flavor. But then again I might just like it because its different... or because it's meat.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Think of all the Buffalo Wings you could have had!!  

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Anybody else notice the typo in the graphic?

"Rooming" buffalo.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.    A few months back, a bull got loose here at night from a farm and wandered onto the road before a car slammed head on into the bull.  The driver and passenger were in critical condition.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Escaped livestock is a pretty normal occurrence in Texas. The rule for buffalo is to give them all the room you can and the toughest fencing you can afford. Livestock fencing for the most part is just there to discourage escape. You can't keep a buffalo or a pissed off bull inside a field if it's hell bent on getting out. Cows usually stay inside unless they see something on the other side and find defeating the fence easy. However, a lot of ranchers around here are pretty lapse in repairing fences.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Mmmm buffalo tastes good..

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#40]
IN.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yup.    A few months back, a bull got loose here at night from a farm and wandered onto the road before a car slammed head on into the bull.  The driver and passenger were in critical condition.

Several years ago I was going home down a pretty well traveled road and had to stop behind a line of cars because there were police, an ambulance and fire trucks in the middle of the road. I could see a car in the ditch on the other side of the road that was trashed. The front of the car looked like it had hit a telephone pole, the hood was demolished and it looked like it had also rolled because the roof was crushed and they were cutting the people out with the jaws of life. As I sat there I was trying to figure out what had happened because there were no trees or telephone poles nearby and there was no disturbed dirt, it looked as though the car had just pulled off the side of the road.

After a few minutes the police started waving the cars on my side of the road off the shoulder and into the grass to drive around the scene and when I got a little closer I saw what did all of the damage. There was a dead horse laying in the middle of the road. I never really thought about how much damage a horse could do to a car which I assume was going 55 or so but it was pretty significant.

Not long after that a few miles up the same road I came up on an accident where a couple in a dually hit a calf and they were in the ditch. They were fine but the truck was trashed.

I can't count the number of times I've called the sheriff for cattle out grazing on the side of the road.

ETA... On that same road I've also drove up on a car totally engulfed in flames just sitting in the middle of the road at about 2am with nobody in sight. I also drove past a car early one morning that was crashed in the ditch. I didn't even think to stop or to call it in and apparently neither did a lot of other people that had to have seen it because it turns out there was a dead person that had been in there since very early that morning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top