BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2009 9:15:13 AM EDT
Movie sucked but things to take away

-If you believe in God Libs see you as that crazy lady

-Military is evil and does bad things

-If you have a gun innocent people will die (The end part)
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:18:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Its more of a Stephen King thing.

Big disaster, but it really turns into a people vs. people thing that overshadows the real danger and ends with more tragedy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I hated that movie, for the reasons listed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I liked it a little .

The Religious chick was hot !
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#4]
It was a good movie, coherent plot and no Hollywood ending. Enjoy it for what it is instead of interpreting everything as ZOMG liberal conspiracy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:23:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Hero should of went first...

Coward
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It was a good movie, coherent plot and no Hollywood ending. Enjoy it for what it is instead of interpreting everything as ZOMG liberal conspiracy.

Incorrect. The NOVELLA was a good story, with almost none of the horseshit lib crap they added to the movie.

The end was the quintessential "Hollywood ending", in that it was totally idiotic and sucked.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This, loosen the tinfoil, sometimes a movie is just a movie. I'm sure if someone really put way to  much thought into it, they could turn "Red Dawn" into a liberal agenda piece
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What!?  With all respect, that's the dumbest shit I've heard since I've been White.  

That lady started sacrificing people to try and make it stop.  That's a step beyond just believing in God.  You've got to understand that there is a difference between being religious and going bat-shit insane and killing people.  I take the message here to be that when someone takes a religion, ANY RELIGION to fanatical, violent levels, its a bad thing.  Christianity is no exception to that rule.

The military started the problem by accident, yeah, I'll give you that.  But the soldiers in the store with them helped them quite a bit until they were all dead and at the end, they show up and save everyone's bacon.  Sure, its not exactly a positive light, but who the hell else is going to rip a hole between dimensions?  Some high school kid in his garage trying to overclock his laptop?

How many innocent people did that gun save in the movie?  Did you forget about the scene where he shot the flying gollum thing and saved the little boy?  Did you forget about the scene in the Pharmacy where he shot the spider things and helped get everyone out?  Did you forget about the part where he shot the crazy bitch and saved all five of them?  The message here is that a gun is a tool and both good and bad things can come from using one, depending on what its used for.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#9]
The movie's ending was drastically altered from that of the short story.  There was no suicide, and there was no military coming to the rescue.  The mist enveloped the world forever.

Having everything go back to normal (except that you killed your family lol) was fucking lame.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The movie's ending was drastically altered from that of the short story.  There was no suicide, and there was no military coming to the rescue.  The mist enveloped the world forever.

Having everything go back to normal (except that you killed your family lol) was fucking lame.

What round for that giant walking tentacle thing?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Agreed...
Ending was a surprise, not as good as the book though.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What!?  With all respect, that's the dumbest shit I've heard since I've been White.  

That lady started sacrificing people to try and make it stop.  That's a step beyond just believing in God.  You've got to understand that there is a difference between being religious and going bat-shit insane and killing people.  I take the message here to be that when someone takes a religion, ANY RELIGION to fanatical, violent levels, its a bad thing.  Christianity is no exception to that rule.

The military started the problem by accident, yeah, I'll give you that.  But the soldiers in the store with them helped them quite a bit until they were all dead and at the end, they show up and save everyone's bacon.  Sure, its not exactly a positive light, but who the hell else is going to rip a hole between dimensions?  Some high school kid in his garage trying to overclock his laptop?

How many innocent people did that gun save in the movie?  Did you forget about the scene where he shot the flying gollum thing and saved the little boy?  Did you forget about the scene in the Pharmacy where he shot the spider things and helped get everyone out?  Did you forget about the part where he shot the crazy bitch and saved all five of them?  The message here is that a gun is a tool and both good and bad things can come from using one, depending on what its used for.

Thanks for saving me the time to type exactly that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#13]

30mm !

I loved the novella, and enjoyed much of the movie.  In fact, I thought the movie's ending was more disturbing than the one King originally wrote (IIRC, they pick up a fragment of a radio broadcast from Hartford, and decide to drive there.  The End.).

I especially enjoyed seeing The Shermanator as the stock-boy, and I thought the CGI was top-notch.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Really???

I really enjoyed that movie.

The lady with the CCW was the one who provided the gun. They mentioned her permit, and her need for the gun for safety reasons.

They went around asking who was the most trustworthy person to use the gun, responsibility went to the grocery store manager since he was a former pistol shooting champ.

The possession of a gun SAVED many lives in the movie.

I didnt see anything wrong with it at all.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#15]
It could have used a bigger budget. The story seemed interesting but they needed better actors and more CGI
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're welcome.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I though it was pretty good.

Also, I would have shot that crazy religious bitch a lot earlier than he did.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect. The NOVELLA was a good story, with almost none of the horseshit lib crap they added to the movie.

The end was the quintessential "Hollywood ending", in that it was totally idiotic and sucked.

This.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#19]
it's based on steven king right? I'd say he is highly over-rated

movie wise I thought it was related to cthulhu mythos and I LOL'd at the end, basically I got the message dont give up hope
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's from the mind of Steven King.  What would you expect?

I wish they've give Dean Koontz's stuff some quality screen time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly how I feel also.  In fact,  I think I might watch it again.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:34:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

30mm120mm !

The conversation should go something like this...
TC-
"Gunner! Giant walking tentacle thing!" "HEAT"

Loader-
"UP!"

Gunner-
"AWAY!"

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed...
Ending was a surprise, not as good as the book though.

LOL

Stephen King disagrees with both of you, he said in an interview that he had wished he thought of the ending the filmmakers gave to the adaptation. I liked the film ending better as well.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I thought it was alright
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Huh, I see religious wackos as a real and possible danger in SHTF.

I mean we have been fighting a war for what, the past six years against religous wackos. They exist in every religion.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:14:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The people that twist everything into an attack on conservatism are as dumb as the libs who twist everything into racism.

Walking away from the movie, you feel like you need to buy another gun more than anything.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Religious chick was hot !

Cashier girl, yes.
Blond cougar, kind of.
Religious wacko... you need to get out more
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hero should of went first...

Coward

Would have made it hard to shoot the others who don't know how to work a gun eh?

And on top of it, his boy would have had to watch his dad die.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Stephen King is about as big as a liberal as you can find anywhere.

So yes, you can expect that people who use guns for defense will be depicted as idiots who get themselves or innocent bystanders killed in any of his stories.

I agree with your assessment of that movie.  I turned it off before it was even over.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

30mm120mm !

The conversation should go something like this...
TC-
"Gunner! Giant walking tentacle thing!" "HEAT"

Loader-
"UP!"

Gunner-
"AWAY!"

Lather, rinse, repeat.

That would be cool if they had 120mm hollow-points to use against them. I don't know much about tank guns, although a HEAT round would probably work pretty well against living tissues instead of metal.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I thought it actually portrayed guns pretty good.  Basically when SHTF, the people with the guns make the rules.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The people that twist everything into an attack on conservatism are as dumb as the libs who twist everything into racism.

Walking away from the movie, you feel like you need to buy another gun more than anything.

I agree completely.

I walked away thinking about what I would have done if I was in his situation. Completely out of gas, no equipment or food, in the middle of nowhere with giant fucking killer insects everywhere. Not to mention you can't see more than 100 feet in any direction.

I don't know what I would have done, I sure wouldn't have wanted my son to die the way that most of those people died...

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I will admit that I was caught off guard by the way it ended, but I can see why the father did what he did.  I just think it was stupid to give up like that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Stephen King is about as big as a liberal as you can find anywhere.

So yes, you can expect that people who use guns for defense will be depicted as idiots who get themselves or innocent bystanders killed in any of his stories.

I agree with your assessment of that movie.  I turned it off before it was even over.

Yes, the director acted stupidly
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#36]
It was a good movie.

I like the director's cut version, which is pretty much the exact same movie except in black and white.

Watching it in black and white helps cover up the CGI even more, also it makes it seem like some weird old and twisted twilight zone episode.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I'll also add that in theory the crazy religious woman could have been right in this movie. After all... the mist did disappear after they killed themselves.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:35:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not even slightly. Not even a little bit. But keep hunting for the boogey men.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:35:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also not true.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#40]
The movie had a great start but the ending sucked ass and was depressing
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Don't forget that inexperienced privates are entrusted with government secrets.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Its more of a Stephen King thing.

Big disaster, but it really turns into a people vs. people thing that overshadows the real danger and ends with more tragedy.

Exactly this.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

-If you believe in God Libs see you as that crazy lady Bs. The salem witch trials come to mind. Those poor souls were tripping off of moldy rye bread and look what happened to them. Look what the church did to Joan of Arc. The List goes on and on and on. So I'd say thats pretty accurate. I'm referring to the fanatical part of Christianity, not Christianity and the belief in God as a whole.
-Military is evil and does bad things The military certainly isn't evil, but it HAS done some fucked up things in the past, the Battle of the Washita comes to mind.
all depends on who's holding the gun. Mao Zedong said real power comes from the barrel of a gun. He was right.

The book was excellent. The movie is horribly tragic. Parts of it reminded me of Half Life

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

In case you missed it, they showed that all military members are guilty repeatedly; that somehow all members of the armed forces are involved in the government's most heinous conspiracy. Even the lowest ranking and least experienced members who would never have any knowledge and shouldn't even in the dumbest of movies. It a blatant showing of contempt toward military members which isn't surprising considering that Stephen King called all members of the Armed Forces illiterate, ignorant high school drop outs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-If you believe in God Libs see you as that crazy lady Bs. The salem witch trials come to mind. Those poor souls were tripping off of moldy rye bread and look what happened to them. Look what the church did to Joan of Arc. The List goes on and on and on. So I'd say thats pretty accurate.
-Military is evil and does bad things The military certainly isn't evil, but it HAS done some fucked up things in the past, the Battle of the Washita comes to mind.
all depends on who's holding the gun. Mao Zedong said real power comes from the barrel of a gun. He was right.

The book was excellent. The movie is horribly tragic. Parts of it reminded me of Half Life

Yep, Half-life admitted they took from the story.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

In case you missed it, they showed that all military members are guilty repeatedly; that somehow all members of the armed forces are involved in the government's most heinous conspiracy. Even the lowest ranking and least experienced members who would never have any knowledge and shouldn't even in the dumbest of movies. It a blatant showing of contempt toward military members which isn't surprising considering that Stephen King called all members of the Armed Forces illiterate, ignorant high school drop outs.

Who else would you suppose they could blame for a giant science experiment gone wrong? The local barber? Good lord.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-If you believe in God Libs see you as that crazy lady Bs. The salem witch trials come to mind. Those poor souls were tripping off of moldy rye bread and look what happened to them. Look what the church did to Joan of Arc. The List goes on and on and on. So I'd say thats pretty accurate.

Yep, Half-life admitted they took from the story.

REALLY...I thought it was the other way around! Thats awesome

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who else would you suppose they could blame for a giant science experiment gone wrong? The local barber? Good lord.

YFC is correct. It was military scientists that unleashed the creatures and the mist from the other dimension, so it WAS the military's fault. Doesn't make them evil, but it does make them guilty of a SUPREME fuck up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean the low-ranking private/scientists? How would fresh-faced privates have knowledge of it. If they did, everyone on and off base knew about it. So yes, the barber should have known about it too and killed himself for the guilt of having that knowledge. But he did not nor anyone else. The director of the movie symbolically convicted, tried and executed the privates. Every one of them paid for their crime in the movie.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#49]
It must be difficult seeing liberal conspiracies in every thing you do.  Eating cheerios must upset you because of all the obama references.

The story was good.  The movie was good.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean the low-ranking private/scientists? How would fresh-faced privates have knowledge of it. If they did, everyone on and off base knew about it. So yes, the barber should have known about it too and killed himself for the guilt of having that knowledge. But he did not nor anyone else.

If you listened to what the kid said, "You've all heard the rumors." So apparently the secret project wasn't that secret. This nonsense about it being an attack on military members? Is this what you thought when you watched Godzilla? How about Outbreak? Doom?

Give me a break.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top