Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2009 5:44:23 AM EDT
In general? On ARFcom anyway? Some days I still pull out some old Johnson Mountain Boys, Country Gentlemen, Stanley Brothers or Seldom Scene to name a couple, and pop them in the CD player. Yes, btw you can still get them on something besides 8 track. When I am out working in the shop it helps relax me.

Now I know we have a lot of younger guys on here, so my expectations aren't high. But it is an acquired taste and I know quite a few folk even here around DC who still love to listen.

So what say you ARFcom? Thumbs up or GTFO? Also this will be my first attempt at a poll so be patient for I know not what I am doing. Here's a little number from a group I used to go see as a boy to help those who are saying what the hell is blue grass?

Here's a little hi speed number from some fella's that are about as talented as they come. You ought to listen and watch.

Here's a plug for ya Superreverb. Seldom Scene....ruling the scene for a long time. Live at the Cellar Door is a MUST have!

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:51:44 AM EDT
[#1]
My guess is that most of Arfcom makes fun of bluegrass.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:55:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not a big fan of Bluegrass, I do listen to some of it.
It's not dead in the town where I live.
Several of the guys I work with play in BG bands.
Every year our town hosts a huge Bluegrass festival with several bands - brings in thousands of people.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:57:44 AM EDT
[#3]
The Lovell Sisters are going to single handedly make bluegrass interesting to an entire generation of young men in the coming years. They're just starting to break big.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:00:00 AM EDT
[#4]
My hillbilly cousins from Hillsville Virginia do a lot of competitions in kentucky and have won each year for about the last 8 years.  They call themselves 'the mcclains'.  They just havn't gone big because they all focus on their family lives more and have to work.

They have some CD's out but I have a hard time finding them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:07:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Lovell Sisters are going to single handedly make bluegrass interesting to an entire generation of young men in the coming years. They're just starting to break big.

+1 on the Lovell Sisters.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:07:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Its popularity is beginning to explode.  It's changing, which irritates the old-timers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:08:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Still alive around Louisiana. My brother plays bass.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:16:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Lots of good Bluegrass HERE

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:19:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:20:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Most certainly not dead.  Hell, I wouldn't even say it's an acquired taste.  I'm in my 20's and I dig bluegrass.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:22:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Most folks here say they enjoy it, when I play it on Subnet Radio.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:24:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lawd A'mighty......
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:25:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Still alive around Louisiana. My brother plays bass.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Does mama play fiddle?

I love some bluegrass
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:29:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Fox On The Run

I love bluegrass
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:40:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I like old school bluegrass but also listen to some of the new stuff.  

Some of the best bands I have ever heard are local pickers that don't do any venues.  Kind of the way it all really started back in the day with front porch pickers!

VA PBS has a series on that is called Song of the Mountains from Marion, VA that has some really good pickers on.

Video from Song of the Mountains
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:46:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Some days I still pull out some old Johnson Mountain Boys, Country Gentlemen, Stanley Brothers or Seldom Scene to name a couple,

The Scene is still alive and kicking.  In fact. we're playing a show today down in Fredericksburg.  I see that the OP is in Maryland.  If you're anywhere near Frederick, MD, we're playing The Weinberg Center on Oct. 17th with Darren Beachley and Legends of the Potomac (which features Mike Auldridge and Tom Gray from the original Scene line-up).

If you go, stop by the console during The Scene's set and say hello!!

Regards - Ed (FOH for The Seldom Scene)
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:52:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Some days I still pull out some old Johnson Mountain Boys, Country Gentlemen, Stanley Brothers or Seldom Scene to name a couple,

The Scene is still alive and kicking. In fact. we're playing a show today down in Fredericksburg. I see that the OP is in Maryland. If you're anywhere near Frederick, MD, we're playing The Weinberg Center on Oct. 17th with Darren Beachley and Legends of the Potomac (which features Mike Auldridge and Tom Gray from the original Scene line-up).

If you go, stop by the console during The Scene's set and say hello!!

Regards - Ed (FOH for The Seldom Scene)

I'll be there!!!!!!!!!!!  RIP big John, we miss you!

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Bluegrass is far from dead and probably healthier and more popular than it ever has been.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#19]
I think "O Brother Where Art Thou?" did alot to bring the scene back. If you look hard enough, there are a few really good (and young) bluegrass acts surviving quite nicely. Nickel Creek is one of my favorites...

When You Come Back Down
This Side
The Lighthouse's Tale

Bluegrass Journey
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:06:34 AM EDT
[#20]
It is coming back, I believe mostly due to being available on XM and Sirius radio channels.  A younger and middle aged audience is finding it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:10:23 AM EDT
[#21]
There are a lot of bluegrass bands signed to major labels right now and it is becoming quite popular again, especially in Europe. Although, modern bluegrass is becoming a fusion of other styles like country, western swing, roots, southern rock, etc. The young guys are taking the bluegrass instruments and music their dads taught them and adding other styles of the music they like.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:16:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There are a lot of bluegrass bands signed to major labels right now and it is becoming quite popular again, especially in Europe. Although, modern bluegrass is becoming a fusion of other styles like country, western swing, roots, southern rock, etc. The young guys are taking the bluegrass instruments and music their dads taught them and adding other styles of the music they like.

Very true. I think it's a healthy progression.
Rock n' Roll isn't what it was even 10 years ago.
For bluegrass to survive, I think it has to evolve.
A good example of this are the Nickel Creek links I posted above.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:24:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Blue Grass will never die.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:25:11 AM EDT
[#24]
28 years old here.
Love Bluegrass.
Then again, I grew up listing to it just about every weekend, and during the summer having my great aunts and uncles playing it around the camp fire.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:25:54 AM EDT
[#25]
No there are plenty of young people to carry it further
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:27:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Bluegrass is far from dead.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:37:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Taylor 710CE here.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:38:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Old Crow Medicine Show
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I like it. I get in Blue Grass moods from time to time and XM has a pretty good Blue Grass station
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:47:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I enjoy myself some bluegrass.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm 44yo and I would guesstimate that Bluegrass constitutes roughly 30% of my music listening time.   Del McCoury rules!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top