Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 5:41:46 AM EDT
I have to reset the heater every time I open a tap to get it to ignite and generate hot water.

It flashes 82 when I open the tap and it doesn't ignite
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:55:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a different brand but when mine didn't deliver hot water when it was requested it needed the screen or filter cleaned.
That's about all I got for ya.

Edit;
my screen was located at the inlet just inside.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:05:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmm, I might double check it.  Its a new install... so I don't think its plugged.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:07:10 AM EDT
[#3]
does it say somewhere, on the front cover or in the installation/troubleshooting manual, what problem "82" corresponds with.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:08:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hmm, I might double check it.  Its a new install... so I don't think its plugged.

How new, like just turned it on for the first time today, or its been working fine for a week and now its not.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:11:20 AM EDT
[#5]
found this online

your PCB board is not set to the right altitude or it doesn't have the right fuel settings on it

Your code indicates that you turn off your unit immediately and call customer service with your code for your unit. Being a gas heater,
that would be a wise idea. I have checked out Rheems online manuals and
care site and have not been able to find another fix to address this
item other than what I have noted. If this has been helpful, please
remember to hit ACCEPT, otherwise I will not receive credit. Thank you.

have you gone to the manuf. website and looked on it for the code?

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#6]
what is the model number?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#7]
My manual doesn't say anything, and I haven't got any returns online.

Its an RTG 53xp

New install, as I fired it off last night.  

I will double check the high altitude chip, I purchased one with the unit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Is it a powervent unit?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, I believe it is
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I work in Contractor sales and have sold a few dozen of these units (under the name Richmond) and the powervents always stop working and stuff. There's a way to reset them and get them running.

You have to unplug the unit from the outlet for about 10-15 seconds. As soon as you plug it back in press and hold both the left and right arrow at the same time until all the lights start blinking or they all come on... forgot which one since I haven't done it in a while.
Then press Left, Right, Left, Left, Right, Left, Right, Right and it should reset and turn back on. This procedure works on Richmond waterheaters which are manufactured by Rheem. Don't know if it will work for you.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Haha, sounds like some nintendo codes there LOL

I researched the code, it says PCB needs to be reprogrammed for the correct gas type.  WTF.

Now I need to find a number call.  This is when I hate putting shit in myself, no one to beat with a stick and make it work but myself.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks like they included the regular chip, not a high altitude one.  I mistook it for the correct chip... now I'm shit out of luck.

Where do I find a high altitude chip for a Rheem RTG53xp on a fucking satuday?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top