Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 2:49:56 AM EDT
From Drudge.... I love the part where your food stamps get double value..... Only in America would we tolerate such behavior cause we voted for it and brought it on our selves.....

Hi-Ho, the Derry-O

By Dana Milbank
Friday, September 18, 2009

Let's say you're preparing dinner and you realize with dismay that you don't have any certified organic Tuscan kale. What to do?

Here's how Michelle Obama handled this very predicament Thursday afternoon:

The Secret Service and the D.C. police brought in three dozen vehicles and shut down H Street, Vermont Avenue, two lanes of I Street and an entrance to the McPherson Square Metro station. They swept the area, in front of the Department of Veterans Affairs, with bomb-sniffing dogs and installed magnetometers in the middle of the street, put up barricades to keep pedestrians out, and took positions with binoculars atop trucks. Though the produce stand was only a block or so from the White House, the first lady hopped into her armored limousine and pulled into the market amid the wail of sirens.

Then, and only then, could Obama purchase her leafy greens. "Now it's time to buy some food," she told several hundred people who came to watch. "Let's shop!"

Cowbells were rung. Somebody put a lei of marigolds around Obama's neck. The first lady picked up a straw basket and headed for the "Farm at Sunnyside" tent, where she loaded up with organic Asian pears, cherry tomatoes, multicolored potatoes, free-range eggs and, yes, two bunches of Tuscan kale. She left the produce with an aide, who paid the cashier as Obama made her way back to the limousine.

There's nothing like the simple pleasures of a farm stand to return us to our agrarian roots.

The first lady had encouraged Freshfarm Markets, the group that runs popular farmers markets in Dupont Circle and elsewhere, to set up near the White House, and she helped get the approvals to shut down Vermont Avenue during rush hour on Thursdays. But the result was quite the opposite of a quaint farmers market. Considering all the logistics, each tomato she purchased had a carbon footprint of several tons.

The promotion of organic and locally grown food, though an admirable cause, is a risky one for the Obamas, because there's a fine line between promoting healthful eating and sounding like a snob. The president, when he was a candidate in 2007, got in trouble in Iowa when he asked a crowd, "Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?" Iowans didn't have a Whole Foods.

For that reason, it's probably just as well that the first lady didn't stop by the Endless Summer Harvest tent yesterday. The Virginia farm had a sign offering "tender baby arugula" –– hydroponically grown, pesticide free –– and $5 for four ounces, which is $20 a pound.

Obama, in her brief speech to the vendors and patrons, handled the affordability issue by pointing out that people who pay with food stamps would get double the coupon value at the market. Even then, though, it's hard to imagine somebody using food stamps to buy what the market offered: $19 bison steak from Gunpowder Bison, organic dandelion greens for $12 per pound from Blueberry Hill Vegetables, the Piedmont Reserve cheese from Everson Dairy at $29 a pound. Rounding out the potential shopping cart: $4 for a piece of "walnut dacquoise" from the Praline Bakery, $9 for a jumbo crab cake at Chris's Marketplace, $8 for a loaf of cranberry-walnut bread and $32 for a bolt of yarn.

The first lady said the market would particularly appeal to federal employees in nearby buildings to "pick up some good stuff for dinner." Yet even they might think twice about spending $3 for a pint of potatoes when potatoes are on sale for 40 cents a pound at Giant. They could get nearly five dozen eggs at Giant for the $5 Obama spent for her dozen.

But whatever the socioeconomics, there can be no doubt that Obama brought some serious attention to her cause. Hundreds of people crowded the market entrance on I Street as police directed pedestrians to alternative subway entrances. Hundreds braved a light rain and gave a hearty cheer when Obama and her entourage took the stage. "I can't imagine there's been a day in the history of our country when people have been more excited about farmers markets," Mayor Adrian Fenty, Obama's warm-up act, told the crowd.

The first lady, in gray slacks and blue sweater, marveled that the people were "so pumped up" despite the rain. "I have never seen so many people so excited about fruits and vegetables!" she said. (Must be the tender baby arugula.)

She spoke of the global reach of her cause: "The first thing world leaders, prime ministers, kings, queens ask me about is the White House garden. And then they ask about Bo."

She spoke of the fuel fed to the world's most powerful man: "I've learned that when my family eats fresh food, healthy food, that it really affects how we feel, how we get through the day . . . whether there's a Cabinet meeting or whether we're just walking the dog."

And she spoke of her own culinary efforts: "There are times when putting together a healthy meal is harder than you might imagine."

Particularly when it involves a soundstage, an interpreter for the deaf, three TV satellite trucks and the closing of part of downtown Washington.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:22:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I like how Bush was all for the corporations and Obama is all for the little guy. It's such a fresh breath of arrogance.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:09:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Holy hell that bitch is hideous.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:11:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/basicAR/wookie.jpg

"Look at that big ...."    
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:13:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Who says the US doesn't have a "Royal Family".  
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:28:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Lot at dat azz!  
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:50:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lot at dat azz!  

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:07:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Why didn't she just grow it in her garden?

Does anyone believe that she has cooked anything (other than meth) since she took over the white house with her staff of over 20?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:19:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm surprised the Washington Compost even ran this story.  It's not as critical as it should be, but at least he's pointing out the stupidity and hypocrisy involved here.  I have to believe stunts like this are even starting to annoy some of the DC locals though.  Even the bleeding heart libs that make up DC don't take too kindly to having their routines interrupted for a photo op stunt like this.  Its usually because they all have a self-centered "me first" mentality too though.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:22:25 AM EDT
[#9]
No way this is a true story. wait, its true?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:28:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm sure the White House chef just sits on his ass all day, right Michelle?

That whole article absolutely reeks of effete elitism.  Sad thing is, they purport to speak for the "common man", whilst disdaining his clinging to "religion and guns".

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:35:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lot at dat azz!  

Is it me, or has that thing doubled in size in about a year?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:36:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes, they absolutely FUCKED traffic for HOURS in DC - like you couldn't go anywhere traffic, all so she could buy some fucking veggies

the elite are beyond disconnected with reality.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:13:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm sure whatever she bought went straight into the garbage.  Even if she did cook something the arrogance and willingness to inconvenience others makes this a big loss for the Obongos.  The press will make it all about the connection to the little guy when obviously it is just the opposite.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:30:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I like farmers markets, as I like to eat good quality food.  I do feel like a stranger among the liberal hippies - while browsing/my CCW on my person (if they only knew they guy next to them who was buying organically grown mixed greens was packing).   I live in CT where we as a collective body had elected Rosa DeLauro, quite possibly the most over-rated worthless politician in recent history.  Not only is she is bought and paid for by commerical agriculture and farm equipment corps but her husband is a pollster and former lobbyist for Monsanto Corp.  She introduced a bill that would require small farms that don't even use many of the chemicals that commercial farmers use to comply to expensive so called safety processes and standards.  They do not care about small farming, its a total ruse and nothing more than political posturing.  

URL=http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-875]HR875 Food safety modernization act of 2009[/URL]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:35:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Can't she just send one of her 30 some slaves servants staff a block away to buy some shit?

How many thousands did this little field trip cost? For fuck sake!

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:36:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Not only is she is bought and paid for by commerical agriculture and farm equipment corps but her husband is a pollster and former lobbyist for Monsanto Corp.

That's the new transparency... you see it, right? Quit yer bitchin'.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:38:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Who says the US doesn't have a "Royal Family".  

That's exactly what I thought, though without your apparent humor.  She even had a royal page to carry her groceries!

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:39:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

in the hood folks that a "booga' bear"

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#22]
modern Marie Antionette.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Someone explain this to me, why are the elected officials put on a higher pedestal? I thought our government laid it out plain and clear, the people are the power, the officials are just a vessel for the voice, but it seems we have been turned into the bitch

Tell me now, does the secret service and DC police actually think this is ok? Causing thousands of people problems while M. Obama shops for hippy food?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I'm sure the White House chef just sits on his ass all day, right Michelle?

That whole article absolutely reeks of effete elitism.  Sad thing is, they purport to speak for the "common man", whilst disdaining his clinging to "religion and guns".

I'd say 75% of the American people don't even know that the White House has a chef.  They probably think this bitch cooks dinner for Barry and the kids every night.

"Look!  She's just like us, cooking for her family!"

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why didn't she just grow it in her garden?

Does anyone believe that she has cooked anything (other than meth) since she took over the white house with her staff of over 20?

Something to do with the amount of lead and other toxic substances in her WH garden.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, they absolutely FUCKED traffic for HOURS in DC - like you couldn't go anywhere traffic, all so she could buy some fucking veggies

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche"
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

........ what the market offered: $19 bison steak from Gunpowder Bison, organic dandelion greens for $12 per pound from Blueberry Hill Vegetables, the Piedmont Reserve cheese from Everson Dairy at $29 a pound. Rounding out the potential shopping cart: $4 for a piece of "walnut dacquoise" from the Praline Bakery, $9 for a jumbo crab cake at Chris's Marketplace, $8 for a loaf of cranberry-walnut bread and $32 for a bolt of yarn.

The first lady said the market would particularly appeal to federal employees in nearby buildings to "pick up some good stuff for dinner."

A- federal employees are overpaid

B- The miserable commie wench is out of touch with reality.

C- Demotards are scumbags

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Someone explain this to me, why are the elected officials put on a higher pedestal? I thought our government laid it out plain and clear, the people are the power, the officials are just a vessel for the voice, but it seems we have been turned into the bitch

Tell me now, does the secret service and DC police actually think this is ok? Causing thousands of people problems while M. Obama shops for hippy food?

Keep on believing that................prole.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#29]
I like the flavored honey at the farmers markets
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Did she get the requested "Eye of Newt" for Obama's grandmother? Hard to practice Santeria in the White House without it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#32]
And people complained when W went home to Texas?

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep on believing that................prole.

lol you read it wrong! I said the people were SUPPOSE to be the power, why are the elected officials held in such high regard. They're but a mere vessel for our voice, that was the way it was intended. I was asking where we got off track.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As thousands sat in the traffic jam, MO was asked "What will the common folk do while they wait to get home from a long days work while you shop?"

MO: "Let them eat Cake!"

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Let them eat cake!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#36]
I fail to see the problem here. She went grocery shopping at the farmers market, big whoop. Obviously she is going to bring her security detail with her, do you realize how many people probably want her dead?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#37]

so sending someone out to get all that stuff was out of the question?

and i wonder how much money they lost because of her fat ass?

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

so sending someone out to get all that stuff was out of the question?

and i wonder how much money they lost because of her fat ass?

The loyal press don't get to take a picture of MO mingling with the proletariat if one of the slaves employees went instead.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I fail to see the problem here. She went grocery shopping at the farmers market, big whoop. Obviously she is going to bring her security detail with her, do you realize how many people probably want her dead?

The President and his family exist to serve us. Keep that in mind.

What she did cost us an obscene amount of money, and was completely unnecessary. It was a stunt which placed an egregious burden on thousands of citizens.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Why not send an assistant? Why must she drag 50 people and her own motorcade with her all while shutting down traffic and causing delays for thousands, all so she can get some fresh organic veggies herself? How many tens of thousands of dollars did this outing to buy over-priced organics cost the tax payer overall? An assistant could have done the same thing requiring only one vehicle and no security detail.

She does this all while promoting "being green". Do you realize all the carbons released into the atmosphere from the resulting traffic jam incurred due to this incident?

The hypocrisy she preaches is the problem here.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#41]
What exactly do Wookies like to eat?  

Yes I said Wookie.

Wookie, Wookie, Wookie.
Wookie.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#42]
The white house kitchen can get any food from anywhere on the planet, anytime it wants. Including some farmers market like this.

Total PR stunt. Maybe she was getting jealous of all the TV time Osama has been getting and wanted some attention.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What she did cost us an obscene amount of money, and was completely unnecessary. It was a stunt which placed an egregious burden on thousands of citizens.

Because the First Lady is so crucial in passing new legislation. Yes I realize they can promote America and it's policies by traveling to other countries like past First Ladies did, but it was for a few hours. If you became the First Man, and prior to become First Man you enjoyed shooting every Saturday, just because you now are First Man you are going to stop shooting? I highly doubt that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the First Lady is so crucial in passing new legislation. Yes I realize they can promote America and it's policies by traveling to other countries like past First Ladies did, but it was for a few hours. If you became the First Man, and prior to become First Man you enjoyed shooting every Saturday, just because you now are First Man you are going to stop shooting? I highly doubt that.

sorry but sacrafices come with the job

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:19:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:21:51 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lot at dat azz!  

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:31:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sorry but sacrafices come with the job

Exactly. Don't want to adjust your lifestye? Don't take the job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top