Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/18/2009 8:46:01 PM EDT

Maybe it's just a stereotype?  Is it still done?  Are anti-distilling laws enforced?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#1]
You can get it anywhere.

You just have to know the right people.

People from Puerto Rico were telling me there were stills down there too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, the laws are still enforced. Don't even think about trying it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#3]
yes, yes, yes
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Moonshining is alive and well in the south.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, especially in the mountains.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I grew up in the North Georgia Mountains.  You can bet your ass there is still people making moonshine. However, law enforcement doesn't care that you make it.  They only care when you try to sell it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Makin shine still occurs in the backwoods of the Appalachians.  The feds still try and stop it occasionally but they
don't put near as much effort into it as they did in the past.  They spend more time now going after
drugs etc.   Tables full of cash guns and blow make for better news spots than some grainy hand
held camera vid of a still getting busted up.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Maybe it's just a stereotype?  Is it still done?  Are anti-distilling laws enforced?

Hell no!

Why? you want some?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#9]
My SO is from Pike County, KY.  Still very common in those parts.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:05:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Southern Philippines?  HELL YEAH!!!  Down in Negros, we have sugar cane plantations and a metric shitload of palm trees.  Rum and lambunog (coconut wine) are EXTREMELY common.  Me?  I likes me some palm booze.  I'm of Scots heritage, but this stuff is GREAT!

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

As someone that lives less than 2 hours from Pike County I can tell you that this is a bald faced lie!  

You ever get the chance, don't pass up the peach or apple pie variety.  

-X

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#13]
what is this moonshine stuff that you speak of ?

don't ya know everybody is trying to be green,  the're not making liquor, it's just un-blended E-85
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Why do you wanna know, carpet bagger? Yankee? revenuer?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#15]
It's still alive and well...   Just need to know the right people.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I hear people do it up here too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My SO is from Pike County, KY. Still very common in those parts.

As someone that lives less than 2 hours from Pike County I can tell you that this is a bald faced lie!

-X

haha.  I haven't had the pleasure yet, but it's possible I may or may not in the future.  Who knows.  She says the apple pie kind may or may not be a favorite.

We have it back in OR, except we call it, "everclear".
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Is it still done?

Was Popcorn country?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Yarp.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is it still done?

Was Popcorn country?

http://www.mcnblogs.com/thehotblog/archives/popcorn.jpg

Quoted:

Still have half a mason jar of popcorn's finest at home
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I've heard rumors
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I remember my grandmother, born in 1905, telling stories of being in the back seat of her Dad's car hiding from revenuers in Ohio.

Yankees did it too, and revenuers were just as likely to never be heard from again going into the woods in northern states as they were in the south.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember my grandmother, born in 1905, telling stories of being in the back seat of her Dad's car hiding from revenuers in Ohio.

Yankees did it too, and revenuers were just as likely to never be heard from again going into the woods in northern states as they were in the south.

Maybe, but we spawned the nations most popular spectator sport with it
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#25]
In West Virginia, they sell corn whiskey in the state store.
I remember when this all started they said they were doing it to cut down on the people poisoning themselves (and others) with homemade whiskey. They figured if you could just buy it at the store, there would be no incentive to make it.

I have had a few bottles of it.
There was some called Stillbrooks Corn Whiskey that was pretty good stuff. However, the last time I was there (within the last six months) they no longer carried it. The stuff that had is like lighter fluid. I bought a couple bottles of it, but it isn't good. I drank part of a bottle but it isn't good.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#26]
OPSEC, dammit!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#27]
aint no shine in eastern north carolina
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I took a Law Enforcement class when I lived in Kentucky and the teacher was a Major in the KSP.  Man, he had some f'ed up stories about Pike county when he was on that beat.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#29]
There may or may not be some in my possession.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
OPSEC, dammit!!

yea i'm still rollin with the in crowd
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it was going so well until my Yankee brethren brought a few tie-wearing weenies into the pits. Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took a Law Enforcement class when I lived in Kentucky and the teacher was a Major in the KSP.  Man, he had some f'ed up stories about Pike county when he was on that beat.

A good friend of mine is from there. That is one fucked up place.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it was going so well until my Yankee brethren brought a few tie-wearing weenies into the pits. Sorry about that.

that's my number one complaint with nascar, no more fights
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#34]
If you are ever in the South, look for signs that say "P-nuts for sale."
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Still happens.  Not as much as it used to but if you know the right people in the country (I don't) you can get it.

Back during Prohibition there was a lot in my grandma's rural town.  The revenuers were always chasing after the moonshiners and some people got shot, deputies and civvies alike.  I don't think people get shot over it much anymore though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#36]
My uncle grew up during the depression in Kentucky. Revenurers would try to bribe the kids to tell who was hauling what where. No one would talk. My uncle delivered certian things to several stills. The revenurers found out and questioned the hell out of him. They offered him 50 buck to tell where each still was. He looked them direct in the eye and said make it a hundred and OK they agreed and said where is it. He said payment in advance and I'll tell you. The Fed said you might lie. My uncle came back and said I wont lie, my mom and pop would beat me if I lie. Beside you guys are not coming back. He was dead serious too. He would have got a beatin for lying and they wouldnt have come back. He said they realized it and left town.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
OPSEC, dammit!!

Well, I don't wanna be telling stories outta school, but I do know a place in St. Landry Parish where you can get it.  I got mine from a friend of a friend of a friend.......I guess they use a lot of cut outs......

LC
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I bought more than I could handle when I was working in Charleston, WV last winter.  The strawberries really kicked my ass

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My SO is from Pike County, KY. Still very common in those parts.

I took a Law Enforcement class when I lived in Kentucky and the teacher was a Major in the KSP. Man, he had some f'ed up stories about Pike county when he was on that beat.

A good friend of mine is from there. That is one fucked up place.

I've heard a few f'ed up stories, too.  Though, I will say the friends that I have there are some of the best people I know.

We're probably going to be going there for a visit in the next couple of months.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#41]
What else do you think they do in Oakdale TN

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:16:33 PM EDT
[#42]
No comment  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#43]
It is in Kentucky. I have a friend who grew up there, every time he goes home he brings me back a mason jar of it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I worked with a guy with family from way out in the sticks and he gave me a glass jar with nasty white strawberries floating in it.  It smelled like gasoline, and I decided not to taste it.  (I was deeply concerned I would go blind or drop dead on the spot)

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Revenuer?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-X

You have to know where to get it, that being said: peach moonshine is worthy of a nut bust.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:27:38 AM EDT
[#47]
In Georgia on the side next to Hartwell lake there is a sign made from a sheet of ply wood saying  WE STILL DRINK OUR CORN AROUND HERE.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:43:03 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

don't ya know everybody is trying to be green,  the're not making liquor, it's just un-blended E-85  E100

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:53:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

don't ya know everybody is trying to be green,  the're not making liquor, it's just un-blended E-85  E100

More like E96 I beleive if you're refering to the % content. Can't get any higher with distilation.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:03:58 AM EDT
[#50]
I have had it numerous times. It is not as bad as everclear,  however will make you spill your guts just as fast!
The stuff I had was actually like  UV blue compared to everclear I think. It just goes down easier.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top