Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2009 8:33:39 PM EDT
I just read a post from smeone saying SF caused a virus attack, but i blew it off. 2 min later my system got hosed.  The only site I had open was the AR15 GD.

No I havent been to any questionable sites.  I am an IT worker and failiar with virus attacks.  It does appear the attack somehow originated here.  

Can someone check into this?   I am having to post this warning w my phone btw, sorry for not adding more detail.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Well.....maybe the DU  trolls are trying to sabotage us.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#2]
there are some nasty malware, masquerade as an anti virus application casting about

My kids PC got one called "total security" that shut down nearly every other process

and wrote a nastygram to the desktop image

I finally killed it by task managering it off as it launched

and then firing symantic upon its processes

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

there are some nasty malware, masquerade as an anti virus application casting about

My kids PC got one called "total security" that shut down nearly every other process

I nominate you to go to the SF and check it out....

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I got one from here one time somebody posted a link and when I clicked on it it dumped everything on my system. Its was a nasty land mine be careful out there...

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#5]

what's SF?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Survival Forum

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine did it from a google search from here before he posted it about mine

I downloaded the malware shit and was clean

So i have no freaking idea what the hell is up
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#8]
We need a point man...any takers?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh shit....just got back from SF...now it burns when I pee!!!!

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#10]
No issues for me in SF!

Edit:
Although someone did offer me candy to get in their van!

Heres the picture I snapped, and btw, don't get in that van, theres no candy!  

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll go.

I'm running Linux right now so it wont affect me.

Just tell me what threads I should be hitting up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Oh shit....just got back from SF...now it burns when I pee!!!!

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Survival Forum

oh

so the survival guys prepared for everything except a computer virus?

disappointing

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:01:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Computer virus > canned beets
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I just read a post from smeone saying SF caused a virus attack, but i blew it off. 2 min later my system got hosed.  The only site I had open was the AR15 GD.

No I havent been to any questionable sites.  I am an IT worker and failiar with virus attacks.  It does appear the attack somehow originated here.  

Can someone check into this?   I am having to post this warning w my phone btw, sorry for not adding more detail.

You're an "IT worker" and you can't provide anything just a touch more useful than a "virus attack"???

Not... the thread you got it from? What you clicked? What virus it was? What the fuck

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:12:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Computer virus > canned beets

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're an "IT worker" and you can't provide anything just a touch more useful than a "virus attack"???

Not... the thread you got it from? What you clicked? What virus it was? What the fuck

Seriously.

Send me an IM or something and I'll check it out.  I'll even do my best to sift through the page source and see if it is indeed coded into arfcom and not a link.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#18]
i was @ SF earlier ... i'm clean, just finished virus scans ....
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#19]
There's no virus here that I can find...  care to provide some more data?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#20]
THe sky is falling, the sky is falling
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:57:38 AM EDT
[#21]
It MIGHT be possible to pic up a virus from an image, but doubtful it can come thru your browser.

Clicking a link might be a good possibility, but a virus or malware coming directly from SF would be pretty remote.

Many people THINK as soon as the ugly bastage rears it's head, well, that's the site you got it from. Any good cracker building this kind of shit knows you don't want to activate too quickly, it would be to obvious. Wait for 20 minutes, or 20 days, or 20 clicks, the on the 20th or after you spread out to 20 more machines.

Also, just because one machine can pick up a virus, doesn't mean the next can, and I'm not talking a Windoze box vs a Mac or Linux box, I'm talking one XP vs another XP.

Nobody got a virus from google, as evil as they are, not gonna happen.

ETA: An "IT worker" and you don't know how this shit works and how to stop it? Interesting, no, we're not hiring in case you were wondering.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:00:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Firefox with 'No Script' plugin and a good AV solution.  If you can manage to infect yourself with these things in place, you have to be trying to do so.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:01:07 AM EDT
[#23]
So it begins...

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:02:24 AM EDT
[#24]
The source for SF, GD, BOTD and every other subforum is exactly the same, theyre each just running a different query

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:05:12 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'll go.

I'm running Linux right now so it wont affect me.

Just tell me what threads I should be hitting up.

This.  What is a virus?

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:14:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:19:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't mean to be rude, but I'm not sure I can help it.

Suffice it to say that this sort of question (and the stunning lack of detail) seems really odd for somebody who professes to work in Information Technology for a living.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Im in SF regularly....no issues here.
ARFCOM is one of the safest site you are going to surf.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:22:16 AM EDT
[#29]
I was in the SF forum and had no problems. I am prepped rice, ammo, Tamiflu... also I have a Mac....

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:25:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:25:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:26:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I nominate you to go to the SF and check it out....

Don't worry, we'll follow in right behind you for backup.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:55:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I was in the SF forum and had no problems. I am prepped rice, ammo, Tamiflu... also I have a Mac....  

Won't all the other people in the commune eat your food and use up your meds?

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:02:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Im in SF regularly....no issues here.
ARFCOM is one of the safest site you are going to surf.

Ditto
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:05:37 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Cases of toilet paper used as currency > Computer virus > canned beets

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:07:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Is BOTD still safe????????????
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:11:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I'm not buying this.  Not one bit.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:13:05 AM EDT
[#38]
I am doing my best to clean up my computer now. It keeps shuting off the page I'm on. I know very little about computers, and was dumb enough to pay a mallware virus to protect me from it's self. Cancled my credit card, but my computer is still fudged.

I didn't get my virus here. It was in an email in my in box.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:16:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't mean to be rude, but I'm not sure I can help it.

Suffice it to say that this sort of question (and the stunning lack of detail) seems really odd for somebody who professes to work in Information Technology for a living.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#40]
I do pc repair and work in the Staples Easy tech. I haven't had any viruses here.

Actually I haven't had a virus in over 8 years and I only use free software and download from some pretty questionable sites.

Where is this virus supposedly?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:21:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Know that guy at the help desk that asks if your sure the power is turned on and the keyboard is plugged in???

HERE HE IS LADY'S AND GENTLEMEN  
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:31:08 AM EDT
[#43]
sky is falling crap
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top