Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2009 8:12:16 PM EDT
For those of you that have more time on your hands then I.  What states would one need a Concealed weapons permit in to be able to carry in almost all fifty states.  I assume Commiefornia is going to be a problem, and maybe liberalachusetts.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#1]
You can't carry in WI or IL and many states don't recognize non resident permits. I think it is 35 states that recognize Tennessee's carry permit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_information.html

Click on the state your CCP is from and then scroll down to the bottom of that page.  There is another map that shows the status of your CCP in each state.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The maximum number of states in which one can legally carry depends on your state of residence, since - as already stated - a number of states do not recognize non-resident CCW/CHL/CWP.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a home for this too...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=5&f=10

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#5]
The only "permit" that would allow you to carry in all 50 states is a law enforcement ID

As previously mentioned, Illinois and Wisconsin have no provision for citizen concealed carry.

A large number of the new england states along with several other states do not recognize any other state's permits.  Some can technically issue permits but either issue no permits or are extremely restrictive.  Many states will not issue to non residents at all.

The state that has the best reciprocity (as discussed in another thread) appears to be Michigan.  Michigan only issues to MI residents however.

If you want to test combinations of licenses, the handgunlaw.us website has an application at http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php where you can enter multiple states and the map will show you the reciprocity coverage.  Also be aware that 5 states (FL, SC, MI, CO, and NH) will only accept reciprocal permits from residents of the state where the permit is from.  So if your home state isn't good on permit issue or reciprocity, you're SOL for SC, MI, NH and CO as those states do not issue non-resident permits or require a permit from your home state.

We've had a couple threads in the previously linked carry forum to explore reciprocity with multiple permits.  In the same vein, if you would give us your state of residence and where you typically travel to we can suggest some options for permits for maximum coverage.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:24:08 AM EDT
[#6]
best value for the price for a non-resident license is New Hampshire, it's only $20, but it requires you to have a permit in your state already. and it's about a 6 month wait right now, seeing as how i just got mine. 21 states or 24 if you're a resident, for only $20 and no classes required.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top